Comma versus semicolons.

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.
Post Reply
User avatar
emidio125
Posts: 286
Joined: 20 May 2020, 08:15
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Comma versus semicolons.

Post by emidio125 »

The use and comma of semicolons is one things that I suffer with while writing my reviews or writing my texts. Even though I try hard to overcome this problem, at some point I end up repeating the mistake again. So my fellows I would like you to help with explanations on when to commas or semicolons.
User avatar
NerdyVicky
Posts: 19
Joined: 21 Aug 2020, 12:59
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerdyvicky.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by NerdyVicky »

I found this post because I have the same problem. I'll be checking this space for answers on when to use a comma and a semicolon. I feel like I overuse commas and have no idea where to use a semicolon. No matter how much I read about commas and semicolons, I just don't get it.

I really hope I get answers here. Thank you for starting this thread Emidio 125. Let's hope someone comes along with answers.
User avatar
MrsCatInTheHat
Review Team Admin
Posts: 3526
Joined: 31 May 2016, 11:53
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Adventures of Klaus, The Happy Schnauzer by Terry E Gunn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

NerdyVicky wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 18:33 I found this post because I have the same problem. I'll be checking this space for answers on when to use a comma and a semicolon. I feel like I overuse commas and have no idea where to use a semicolon. No matter how much I read about commas and semicolons, I just don't get it.

I really hope I get answers here. Thank you for starting this thread Emidio 125. Let's hope someone comes along with answers.
I would suggest learning more about commas and semicolons by looking here: https://www.thepunctuationguide.com/index.html
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
User avatar
MsH2k
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 2061
Joined: 31 Jul 2019, 11:11
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading: Vacuuming is Just Indoor Mowing
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Unclean Hands by Andrew Schafer

Post by MsH2k »

NerdyVicky wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 18:33 I feel like I overuse commas and have no idea where to use a semicolon. No matter how much I read about commas and semicolons, I just don't get it.
I had that same problem with semicolons! After I researched the semicolon rules, I studied the reviews of an experienced OBC reviewer who had excellent grammar skills. (They still do! :D) Most of their reviews included at least one semicolon. It helped to see the semicolon used in the context of a review; it was interesting to note how they balanced using a semicolon vs two separate sentences or combining the clauses with a comma and coordinating conjunction. I kept going back over their reviews until it finally clicked. That worked well for me. I haven’t had any reservations about using semicolons since then.
Hope this helps!
"Always be a first-rate version of yourself instead of a second-rate version of somebody else."
Judy Garland
User avatar
NerdyVicky
Posts: 19
Joined: 21 Aug 2020, 12:59
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerdyvicky.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by NerdyVicky »

MrsCatInTheHat wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 11:39
NerdyVicky wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 18:33 I found this post because I have the same problem. I'll be checking this space for answers on when to use a comma and a semicolon. I feel like I overuse commas and have no idea where to use a semicolon. No matter how much I read about commas and semicolons, I just don't get it.

I really hope I get answers here. Thank you for starting this thread Emidio 125. Let's hope someone comes along with answers.
I would suggest learning more about commas and semicolons by looking here: https://www.thepunctuationguide.com/index.html
Thank you so much. I'll be sure to check it out.
User avatar
NerdyVicky
Posts: 19
Joined: 21 Aug 2020, 12:59
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerdyvicky.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by NerdyVicky »

MsH2k wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 00:52
NerdyVicky wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 18:33 I feel like I overuse commas and have no idea where to use a semicolon. No matter how much I read about commas and semicolons, I just don't get it.
I had that same problem with semicolons! After I researched the semicolon rules, I studied the reviews of an experienced OBC reviewer who had excellent grammar skills. (They still do! :D) Most of their reviews included at least one semicolon. It helped to see the semicolon used in the context of a review; it was interesting to note how they balanced using a semicolon vs two separate sentences or combining the clauses with a comma and coordinating conjunction. I kept going back over their reviews until it finally clicked. That worked well for me. I haven’t had any reservations about using semicolons since then.
Hope this helps!
Yes it does. But could you please suggest these reviewers you studied so I can also stalk them for grammatical purposes only? 😅 Thank you so much.
User avatar
MsH2k
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 2061
Joined: 31 Jul 2019, 11:11
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading: Vacuuming is Just Indoor Mowing
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Unclean Hands by Andrew Schafer

Post by MsH2k »

NerdyVicky wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 07:44
MsH2k wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 00:52
NerdyVicky wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 18:33 I feel like I overuse commas and have no idea where to use a semicolon. No matter how much I read about commas and semicolons, I just don't get it.
I had that same problem with semicolons! After I researched the semicolon rules, I studied the reviews of an experienced OBC reviewer who had excellent grammar skills. (They still do! :D) Most of their reviews included at least one semicolon. It helped to see the semicolon used in the context of a review; it was interesting to note how they balanced using a semicolon vs two separate sentences or combining the clauses with a comma and coordinating conjunction. I kept going back over their reviews until it finally clicked. That worked well for me. I haven’t had any reservations about using semicolons since then.
Hope this helps!
Yes it does. But could you please suggest these reviewers you studied so I can also stalk them for grammatical purposes only? 😅 Thank you so much.
:no-spoil: Aah, there are many excellent reviewers here! The beauty of the experience is discovering them. Featured reviewers and Members of the Month are good candidates to check out to begin your search. All the best!
"Always be a first-rate version of yourself instead of a second-rate version of somebody else."
Judy Garland
User avatar
MrsCatInTheHat
Review Team Admin
Posts: 3526
Joined: 31 May 2016, 11:53
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Adventures of Klaus, The Happy Schnauzer by Terry E Gunn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

NerdyVicky wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 07:44
MsH2k wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 00:52
NerdyVicky wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 18:33 I feel like I overuse commas and have no idea where to use a semicolon. No matter how much I read about commas and semicolons, I just don't get it.
I had that same problem with semicolons! After I researched the semicolon rules, I studied the reviews of an experienced OBC reviewer who had excellent grammar skills. (They still do! :D) Most of their reviews included at least one semicolon. It helped to see the semicolon used in the context of a review; it was interesting to note how they balanced using a semicolon vs two separate sentences or combining the clauses with a comma and coordinating conjunction. I kept going back over their reviews until it finally clicked. That worked well for me. I haven’t had any reservations about using semicolons since then.
Hope this helps!
Yes it does. But could you please suggest these reviewers you studied so I can also stalk them for grammatical purposes only? 😅 Thank you so much.
I would suggest reading several Featured Reviews.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Post Reply

Return to “International Grammar”