Overall Rating and Opinion of "The Message?"

Discuss the June 2015 book of the month, "The Message?" by Avam Hale.
cgoss74
Favorite Author: Danielle Steel
Currently Reading: Follow You Home
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cgoss74.html
Latest Review: "A Better Part of Heaven" by Mike Lee
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 3250

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "The Message?"

Post by cgoss74 »

I really enjoyed the book. I look forward to seeing more material by Avam. I too loved Dr. Marcus and was happy to see how supportive he was of Leah despite his scientific side, but that is probably because he is so religious. He realizes there are wonders in the world that science can't explain. At first, Leah's sister bugged me with the way she treated Leah but I was glad that Leah finally had the strength of will to take a stand for herself against her sister. Leah had a lot of struggles through her life that she had to come to accept were failings but were actually just her growing into the person she was meant to be. I believe she had to go through everything she went through to be able to appreciate the message from God.

Also, the philosophy lessons were just as fascinating to follow because the teacher believed Leah too, but didn't want the staff at the school to know for fear of his job.
Latest Review: "A Better Part of Heaven" by Mike Lee
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

cgoss74 wrote:I really enjoyed the book. I look forward to seeing more material by Avam. I too loved Dr. Marcus and was happy to see how supportive he was of Leah despite his scientific side, but that is probably because he is so religious. He realizes there are wonders in the world that science can't explain. At first, Leah's sister bugged me with the way she treated Leah but I was glad that Leah finally had the strength of will to take a stand for herself against her sister. Leah had a lot of struggles through her life that she had to come to accept were failings but were actually just her growing into the person she was meant to be. I believe she had to go through everything she went through to be able to appreciate the message from God.

Also, the philosophy lessons were just as fascinating to follow because the teacher believed Leah too, but didn't want the staff at the school to know for fear of his job.
Well said cgoss, I look forward to more from this author as well!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Mntgrl1969
Favorite Author: Patricia Cornwell
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mntgrl1969.html
Reading Device: 1400697484
Publishing Contest Votes: 12
fav_author_id: 2999

Post by Mntgrl1969 »

I consider myself to be alot like Leah in "The "Message" in the sense that I do not hold any religious affliliations or find myself to be that religious. The reason that I even read " The Message" was because the Author tempted me by saying that If I don't find myself saying "Hmm" at least once then the Author did not do a good job. Well, I did say "hmm" a few times and found myself thinking more about the political and religious world as it is now. I enjoyed the book very much although I was hoping for more philosophy into why people follow the masses and less about all the pain that Leah and her friends and family had to go through just in order to be thankful and grateful that "GOD" chose to heal Leah and give her more opportunity to see inside her own life and family. I am glad that Sunny and Leah were able to talk about their childhood, father and about how each made the other feel. That is what I think the true "Message" was. Look passed youself to another to see the real love of that person. 3 out of 4 stars for me!!
saikak
Currently Reading: Forever Twelve
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saikak.html

Post by saikak »

I give it 3/4 stars, because while it was pleasantly well-written and quick-paced, I felt as if though it carries a couple didactic elements here and there, regarding religion. I am not religious at all, so that's probably why it gets kind of difficult for me to like at times.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

This book is nice and light and I would recommend it to the readers who take interest in politics and religion.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Soumeg
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soumeg.html
Latest Review: "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens

Post by Soumeg »

kstockard wrote:After finishing this book, I realized how much I really liked this book. I ended up putting "The Message?" on my 3 out of 4 stars bookshelf mainly because I am not a big fan of books with religious messages. One of the reasons I found myself moving past the religious references and deciding to keep reading was the philosophical take on the book. I am a major Socrates fan, and I really liked how researched Avam Hale seemed. Other than my ridiculous dislike of religion, the book was seriously entertaining. I agree with the common favorite of Dr. Marcus. I wish I knew a doctor like Dr. Marcus.
Interesting review. Eager to read the book after going through your review. Thanks! :) :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens
powergirl
Currently Reading: The One
Bookshelf Size: 59

Post by powergirl »

What is interesting in this book is the faith and acknowledgment of Leah after his accident and the fact that She is persuaded that God sent her to deliver a message on earth.I will heartily recommend this book because it is a thinking one and for those who believe to God it is an interesting book.
"To be or not to be that's the question" William Shakespeare
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

I like how the author merges philosophy and religion in one book. He has done thorough research especially about Socrates and his beliefs. I give the book 4 out of 4 stars. Dr. Marcus is my favorite character.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1880
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes

Post by Surabhi Rani »

The book expresses the theme that an ordinary person with no art in life can be chosen by God for spreading His message. This has been well portrayed in the story through the life and character of Leah Warner. She even hesitates to accept her obligation towards people and doubts her potential. She undergoes all the hardships of an average person. Besides, the story presents a very bright aspect of path to God. I like the way the society, economy, religion, politics and even the status quo is effected by a strong resolution and determination of a human being. I would suggest the book to the seekers of God it nurtures a healthy philosophy of life.
C-obi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-obi.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by C-obi »

I have not read the book page to page, but I would love to have a first-hand reading experience of the encounters the author talked about. Congrats on attaining the BOTM.

Return to “"The Message?" by Avam Hale”