- Site Admin
- Posts: 3262
- Joined: 31 Jul 2006, 23:00
- 2019 Reading Goal: 52
- 2019 Reading Goal Completion: 1
- 2018 Reading Goal: 52
- 2018 Reading Goal Completion: 7
- 2017 Reading Goal: 36
- 2017 Reading Goal Completion: 25
- Currently Reading: The Woman in the Window
- Bookshelf Size: 239
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
- Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
- Publishing Contest Votes: 960
What do you think of this story? What do you like most about it?
I felt this story has a classic feel to it, especially some of the scenes with the tired sheriff having various intentionally ambiguously worded one-on-ones with the protagonist. It gave me a "Texas Ranger" vibe. The main character is lovable but flawed, which is pleasant to read.
What do you think?
"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
- Posts: 363
- Joined: 04 Jul 2014, 15:08
- Bookshelf Size: 33
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahmoun2778.html
- Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
- Reading Device: 1400698987
- Posts: 87
- Joined: 08 Apr 2015, 13:23
- Bookshelf Size: 21
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-memory.html
- Latest Review: "Rogue & Royal" by Alan S. Blood
- Special Discussion Leader
- Posts: 7942
- Joined: 25 Oct 2014, 09:52
- 2017 Reading Goal: 52
- 2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
- Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
- Currently Reading:
- Bookshelf Size: 327
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
- Latest Review: The Little Scrub Christmas Tree by Dr. Raymond Dunn
- Posts: 502
- Joined: 18 Nov 2014, 15:45
- Favorite Book: The Angel and the Outlaw
- Bookshelf Size: 12
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khudecek.html
- Latest Review: "See Bride Run!" by Charlotte Hughes
At the beginning, I thought Brian had killed someone or had escaped from jail or something with the cops and dogs on his trail. It seemed like an awful lot for someone who had vandalized a car but at that point, the story was just getting started and kept me turning the page. Nice hook.
The author had one line that stood out for me. On page 106 of the paperback, Brian is explaining Rebecca's mother to her and says, "She didn't hate Brian Redmond. She hated Rebecca's husband and it could have been any guy." That hit pretty close to home.
I liked this story a lot.
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
"The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 13 Jan 2015, 23:25
- Bookshelf Size: 18
- Posts: 5985
- Joined: 27 Mar 2013, 20:01
- Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
- Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
- Bookshelf Size: 79
I liked the ending--with Brian and the money--because I think he was a good person at heart, and he didn't have to engage in that conversation about the charity that would benefit from the funds. I think he deserved a happy ending, anyway.
Kudos to the author--a great tale you weave!
- Posts: 489
- Joined: 15 Feb 2015, 21:52
- Bookshelf Size: 64
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
- Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover
- avid reader28
- Posts: 109
- Joined: 10 May 2015, 21:29
- Bookshelf Size: 65
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avid-reader28.html
and going back and forth with the characters gripped my attention.
It was a fun read.
- Posts: 22
- Joined: 27 Sep 2014, 18:34
- Currently Reading:
- Bookshelf Size: 8
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-calfurshoney.html
- Posts: 444
- Joined: 18 Jan 2014, 23:04
- Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
- Bookshelf Size: 52
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
- Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard
But I am confused.
As far as I can figure out, the sequence of events is this:
1. Sally accidentally hits drifter with her car. Drives off. Hit and run. Drifter dies.
2. Sally proceeds to hire some kid to vandalize her car in order to cover up the evidence of the hit and run. She pays him $200.
3. Kid uses the $200 to buy drugs ... FROM THE DRIFTER WHO HAS ALREADY DIED!!!
Can somebody help me, please? Did he buy the drugs off the guy as he lay dying at the side of the road?
I enjoyed the interconnecting plot, but this discrepancy kept me confused, expecting an even more complicated solution, until the very end, when I ... remained confused.
- Posts: 65
- Joined: 31 May 2015, 17:31
- Bookshelf Size: 20
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zanderlyrose.html
- Latest Review: "Sweet Sleep" by Kim Cormack
- Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE
- Posts: 186
- Joined: 13 Sep 2013, 02:13
- Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
- Currently Reading: The Palace of Dreams
- Bookshelf Size: 107
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-castor.html
- Latest Review: "Dangerous Obsessions" by Bob Van Laerhoven
- Reading Device: B002R5UYXY
- Posts: 74
- Joined: 29 May 2014, 06:33
- 2017 Reading Goal: 150
- 2017 Reading Goal Completion: 1
- Currently Reading: Defending Jacob
- Bookshelf Size: 27
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacihunsinger.html
- Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
- Reading Device: 1400698987
- Posts: 157
- Joined: 26 Aug 2015, 09:34
- 2017 Reading Goal: 50
- 2017 Reading Goal Completion: 3
- Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
- Bookshelf Size: 321
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfix-blog.html
- Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks