"The Unsuspecting Nature of Grief" by Jessica Phillips

Discuss the May 2015 book of the month, Holding Fire.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Re: "The Unsuspecting Nature of Grief" by Jessica Phillips

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Hey, thanks for agreeing with me!

As per your second and third paragraphs, here's my advice to everyone: always invoke your right to counsel. Like, seriously. I think the whole, "You have the right to an attorney," spiel sometimes gets glossed over and people just take it for granted without even recognizing what it means. Don't let that happen to you!!
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:Hey, thanks for agreeing with me!

As per your second and third paragraphs, here's my advice to everyone: always invoke your right to counsel. Like, seriously. I think the whole, "You have the right to an attorney," spiel sometimes gets glossed over and people just take it for granted without even recognizing what it means. Don't let that happen to you!!
So true. Although, sadly, in the book I mentioned, often the innocents were also victims of incompetent or uncaring public defenders.

Apparently, some people confess just to end the interrogation, trusting that the DNA evidence will quickly exonerate them. And apparently, DNA sometimes isn't processed for years, or is ignored, once they have a confession.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

That is depressing. I watch a lot of 48 Hours Mystery, and I've seen it happen. But I meant that you should request a lawyer to end the interrogation, rather than being badgered into a false confession, before that can happen. Because as soon as they start putting words in your mouth, you have to say it. "I want a lawyer." You can even say it sooner, before you interact with them at all. People don't realize, you can say it at anytime. To the best of my knowledge, if they keep questioning you (without providing your requested lawyer) and you confess, it will get thrown out in court.

Anyone out there do criminal law and want to confirm or deny this?

-- 09 Jun 2015, 22:46 --

You raise another good point: do not confess to end it! Please, it won't end your woes. Request a lawyer!
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

I don't do criminal law but can't resist one more reply ...

You may be right that a forced confession won't stand in court. Many of the cases in the book I read were older, and the interrogations were not taped or, in some cases, even recorded. Perhaps things are different now.
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Oops. No, I didn't mean to say that. I meant that if you confess after you've requested a lawyer, then it'll be thrown out, because your constitutional right was ignored.

Actually, coerced confessions will hold up. This is why you should ask for a lawyer!! :angry-soapbox:

-- 11 Jun 2015, 21:10 --

Thank you for letting me clarify that!!
zanderlyrose
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zanderlyrose.html
Latest Review: "Sweet Sleep" by Kim Cormack
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by zanderlyrose »

I couldn't relate to the main character and her reactions, but that just made my all the more fascinated by the story. I loved all the twists. Very thought provoking.
Latest Review: "Sweet Sleep" by Kim Cormack
castor
Favorite Author: G.G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: The Palace of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-castor.html
Latest Review: "Dangerous Obsessions" by Bob Van Laerhoven
Reading Device: B002R5UYXY

Post by castor »

It is an amazing story. I loved the writing style and the imaginative storyline. Although, I found Sara's forgiving character extraordinary (for my standards), I believe that it could be real. I always thought that this forgiveness was a part of a greater plan to take revenge for her husband. I was wrong, but I liked this different view.
Latest Review: "Dangerous Obsessions" by Bob Van Laerhoven
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

I think this is an amazing story, great job Jessica!! I think Scott hit the nail on the head. It is non-formulaic and definitely kept me guessing, which is not an easy thing to do. I admit I'm not much of a critic, but although I found the story to be hard to fathom, it is not unbelievable. There is almost nothing anyone can write about the human race and our interactions with each other that hasn't happened at some time. Watch a crime show, read a news article. Women will try to marry Charles Manson. Men will torture children in a basement only yards from people who are none the wiser. I did not find the mother out of place, (well maybe slightly, but only slightly) but knowing now how the author framed the story, I find it even more brilliant. Sure the ending was rough, but in the end she lived, loved, trusted and forgave. Even if you perform those acts in naivety and bad things happen, how else is there to live? As Sara thought towards the end, I too will not become a monster like Brent, even if my trusting nature sometimes gets me hurt.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
litmonster
Currently Reading: Library of Souls
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-litmonster.html

Post by litmonster »

Not quite sure how I feel about someone going as far as Brent does for some type of vengeance…not to mention it’s pretty cruel to use the widow, Sara the way he does. It’s an interesting story, for certain, I just question preying and outright lying to the wife of the man you shot in the head. Also, aside from just enjoying it for being what it is, a short story, I also question a woman who does not know more about the circumstances and the case surrounding her husband’s murder, at least enough to know about no gang member or Jase etc. Other than that, it was certainly interesting.
TangledinText
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfix-blog.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by TangledinText »

The Unsuspecting Nature of Grief was refreshing. It all seemed to go a certain way, you followed happily along expecting a certain scenario then the story took a turn and you fell in love with the twist trying to keep up with how different the direction had gone. I would love to see some of her other stories.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
zaynab_m
Favorite Author: J. K. Rowling
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Currently Reading: Rilla of Ingleside
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynab-m.html
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael

Post by zaynab_m »

Sounds interesting. Haven't yet read the book though
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I like this story as the plot is so unpredictable. The story is full of twists and turns and I really enjoyed the end of the story. I would like to read more from this writer. :)
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Return to “"Holding Fire: Short Stories of Self-Destruction"”