How to be sucessful?

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

How to be sucessful?

Post by Jsovermyer »

The author (Mark L. Wdowiak) is told that if you want to be successful, then you need to associate with successful people. Do you agree? Can you only be successful with successful people's help? Can you make it on your own?
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I have yet to read the book, but I believe that success comes with a combination of hard work, networking (especially in this age of globalisation), as well as a dose of luck.
Bronie
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bronie.html
Latest Review: The Life and Lessons of a Young Author by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Bronie »

Success would start internally , then your emotional intelligence will influence your external presence . I feel that success is different to each person.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

No, I don't think you have to associate with successful people to be successful yourself. Success is not only a measurement of financial wealth and being in high society. I think success is a subjective view of satisfaction with your life.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Jsovermyer

Post by Jsovermyer »

BookReader+6 wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 18:10 No, I don't think you have to associate with successful people to be successful yourself. Success is not only a measurement of financial wealth and being in high society. I think success is a subjective view of satisfaction with your life.
I completely agree with you. Success comes from within. What is success for one person my be excess to another.
Jsovermyer

Post by Jsovermyer »

BookReader+6 wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 18:10 No, I don't think you have to associate with successful people to be successful yourself. Success is not only a measurement of financial wealth and being in high society. I think success is a subjective view of satisfaction with your life.
I agree. You don't need wealth to be happy.
Jsovermyer

Post by Jsovermyer »

gen_g wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 10:50 I have yet to read the book, but I believe that success comes with a combination of hard work, networking (especially in this age of globalisation), as well as a dose of luck.
Yes, but I think we make our own luck.
Jsovermyer

Post by Jsovermyer »

Bronie wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 18:04 Success would start internally , then your emotional intelligence will influence your external presence . I feel that success is different to each person.
I agree. Some people want money, some want fame, and some just want close trusted friends.
Fatima_Palacios
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatima-palacios.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fatima_Palacios »

Jsovermyer wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 15:35 The author is told that if you want to be successful, then you need to associate with successful people.
Do you agree? Can you only be successful with successful people's help? Can you make it on your own?
I think that in order to be successful you need to be in peace with yourself so that you can take the right choices and don't blame yourself when things go wrong. Having successful people around you might give you insight but is not what will make you successful in the end.
"and if I die trying, then at least I tried."
-Eiichiro Oda (Luffy)
M Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-zee.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by M Zee »

Success doesn't happen in a vacuum. I don't know of a single person who can claim *truthfully* that their success was due only to their own work. The idea of associating with successful people can be seen as a way to do that - it's always going to be easier when you have someone's assistance. It's an advantage that a lot of people overlook.

Luck, on the other hand, often plays into it even with those advantages.
I was born with a reading list I will never finish.
TheRVMom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thervmom.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by TheRVMom »

I think that it depends on your own definition and view of what success is. Sometimes a person can be successful by surrounding themselves with others less fortunate than themselves and helping them. I consider my mother a successful person and she was only surrounded by her children and husband for 75% or more of her life. We lived on a farm way out in the boonies with no neighbors for a mile or two. If you want to be a successful politician, on the other hand. Then you might want to surround yourself with those who consider themselves successful. No clear-cut answer on this one I suppose.
Vlinstry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vlinstry.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Vlinstry »

I think being around successful people would definitely help to get you in the mindset and to really push you to do something about it so you could live up to their success. However, I do believe that you can make it on your own and that it is not necessary to be around successful people. If you have the right mindset then you are the person that people need to be around to be successful.
sszb
Favorite Book: Dear Mr. Knightley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sszb.html
Latest Review: Uncle Yuta has an Adventure by Claire Youmans
Reading Device: B072V4HK9F

Post by sszb »

The main question is who do you think is successful? I think it will start another debate. As every person has their own definition of success. So it totally depends.

I think the author has advised to surround yourself with successful people to have a BENCHMARK. Like aiming a moon you will surely land in stars if not on the moon.

💐💐👍🏻👍🏻💐💐
‏We’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one.”

‏ Middleton, Jacquelyn.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I believe that one can be successful on their own. I think what the author meant by that statement is that if you choose to hang out with a crowd that is motivated in life, set goals and life and set out to accomplish these goals than with that person being your peer it will also have some type of an effect on your being to maybe want to also set forth goals and go about taking the steps to accomplish them.

As the ol' saying goes:
Birds of a Feather Flock Together right
Chelsea N. Hackett
bhanwal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by bhanwal »

Focus on commitment, not motivation.
Just how committed are you to your goal? How important is it for you, and what are you willing to sacrifice in order to achieve it? If you find yourself fully committed, motivation will follow.

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”