Favorite City-real and/or fictional

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Favorite City-real and/or fictional

Post by HollandBlue »

What is your favorite city and why? It can be a real city or one you've read about, real or fictional.

My favorite real city would probably be New Orleans, La, USA because it is so mysterious. My favorite fictional city is OZ!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

Not sure about Oz. The more I read from that series, the creepier Oz gets. In the Patchwork Girl of Oz, the punishment for picking plants around The Emerald City is to be dressed up like a Klansman and paraded around the city. All throughout the book, our hero tells the story of how the old wizard in the woods created the Patchwork Girl as a slave. Not one person ever takes issue with the fact he was creating slaves, they're more concerned that he was practicing magic illegally. I have to wonder what was going through Mr. Baum's head when he wrote that book...
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

jjmainor wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 22:38 Not sure about Oz. The more I read from that series, the creepier Oz gets. In the Patchwork Girl of Oz, the punishment for picking plants around The Emerald City is to be dressed up like a Klansman and paraded around the city. All throughout the book, our hero tells the story of how the old wizard in the woods created the Patchwork Girl as a slave. Not one person ever takes issue with the fact he was creating slaves, they're more concerned that he was practicing magic illegally. I have to wonder what was going through Mr. Baum's head when he wrote that book...
Maybe I'll rethink that choice; I'm not familiar with this version of Oz, but it doesn't sound good. Now you've got me trying to think of other fictional cities, any suggestions?
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
(1466-1536)
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

There was another book in the series where the entire premise was that Ozma sends Dorothy on a tour of some of the far-flung regions of Oz. As she travels, Dorothy finds out these people were banished to these far-flung regions because they were annoying in different ways. Even in a utopia like Oz, they still sweep the undesirables under the rug...
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

New Jerusalem. It sounds like the perfect place to spend eternity for sure!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

jjmainor wrote: 06 Oct 2018, 20:46 There was another book in the series where the entire premise was that Ozma sends Dorothy on a tour of some of the far-flung regions of Oz. As she travels, Dorothy finds out these people were banished to these far-flung regions because they were annoying in different ways. Even in a utopia like Oz, they still sweep the undesirables under the rug...
Very sad, I'm definitely taking Oz off my list!
(1466-1536)
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

rssllue wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 01:14 New Jerusalem. It sounds like the perfect place to spend eternity for sure!
Sounds good!
(1466-1536)
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

BookReader+6 wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 08:10
rssllue wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 01:14 New Jerusalem. It sounds like the perfect place to spend eternity for sure!
Sounds good!
:text-woo: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”