Would you rather work from home or in the office?

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Would you rather work from home or in the office?

Post by love_b00ks »

I am a mom of three, and when I had my second child, I already opted to look for jobs online so that I can work from home. I shared this with friends and some of them liked it because they can maximize their time with their family while others prefer to still do office jobs because either they do not want to mix work with family or they tend to become less productive without a boss supervising them.

How about you, which would you prefer?
amydoshier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by amydoshier »

I have also had three kids. And I preferred to work away from home because that was my time to get some me time away from the chaos and The Hectic lifestyle I had raising two boys and a little girl.
amydoshier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by amydoshier »

I have also had three kids. And I preferred to work away from home because that was my time to get some me time away from the chaos and The Hectic lifestyle I had raising two boys and a little girl.
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

I have no kids, though am planning to have them, and I'd love to work from home. I'm a homebody and love to stay at home. However, I'd definitely have to have a dedicated work space. Right now I work on OBC from my couch, but for some of my other ambitions I hope to achieve, I'd need to make myself a workspace in order to keep myself on track. I should probably find a new desk now (sold the old one in anticipation of moving in September) and set up a distraction-free space, though. I find myself getting distracted writing my reviews. :lol2:

That said, if I do work from home, I think having some back up spaces outside of the house would be great when I'm tired of the same scenery. Maybe a library, a couple of coffee shops, or something similar would be a good backup.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I think ultimately the merits of this plan varies with each individual and each individual's circumstances.

There are many plusses to working from home:

1) Time is not lost commuting which can be significant if protracted in yearly terms.
2) Expense of transportation savings (fuel, lower auto insurance, parking fees, wear and tear on personal vehicle etc.).
3) Significantly reducing risk of being in a major auto, train, or bus accident because one is not publicly commuting daily.
4) Ability to work without distractions and interruptions (in many cases).
5) Ability to more easily coordinate personal affairs with work (example: do grocery shopping during "work time" and make up for it in the evening hours).

The negatives:

1) Working in isolation can be lonely and limits interactions of a social nature with other individuals.
2) It is easy to become lazy and fall into bad work habits when not in the presence of supervisors or coworkers.
3) As mentioned in some of the posts above, children and other distractions can result in poor work or output of work as relating to employer expectations.
4) If you are a very industrious person your lack of presence at work (the visibility of your industrious work habits) may not be noticed by supervisors and thus limit your candidacy for promotion.
5) More difficult to get help, input, data, or opinions with regard to the project you are working on.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

DATo wrote: 03 May 2018, 02:24 I think ultimately the merits of this plan varies with each individual and each individual's circumstances.

1) Time is not lost commuting which can be significant if protracted in yearly terms.
2) Expense of transportation savings (fuel, lower auto insurance, parking fees, wear and tear on personal vehicle etc.).
3) Significantly reducing risk of being in a major auto, train, or bus accident because one is not publicly commuting daily.
5) Ability to more easily coordinate personal affairs with work (example: do grocery shopping during "work time" and make up for it in the evening hours).

The negatives:

1) Working in isolation can be lonely and limits interactions of a social nature with other individuals.
2) It is easy to become lazy and fall into bad work habits when not in the presence of supervisors or coworkers.
3) As mentioned in some of the posts above, children and other distractions can result in poor work or output of work as relating to employer expectations.
4) If you are a very industrious person your lack of presence at work (the visibility of your industrious work habits) may not be noticed by supervisors and thus limit your candidacy for promotion.
5) More difficult to get help, input, data, or opinions with regard to the project you are working on.
wow, you really outlined it perfectly from the right angles...and made it even more difficult for me to choose! :lol2: I really suck at picking between options so I'll just lean back on my default response of "striking a balance." I'm a homebody and wouldn't mind working from home but being completely cut off from social interactions with colleagues is a bit too much. So if I could get a job where I could have "work-from-home days" for a specific number of days, I'd grab that will every limb I've got. :D
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Vickie Noel wrote: 04 May 2018, 15:04
wow, you really outlined it perfectly from the right angles...and made it even more difficult for me to choose! :lol2: I really suck at picking between options so I'll just lean back on my default response of "striking a balance." I'm a homebody and wouldn't mind working from home but being completely cut off from social interactions with colleagues is a bit too much. So if I could get a job where I could have "work-from-home days" for a specific number of days, I'd grab that will every limb I've got. :D
Vickie,

I know someone who works from home three days a week (Mon - Wed) and then goes to work for two days for meetings etc. She is very happy with this arrangement. Maybe it could work for you.

VERY IMPORTANT SUGGESTION: Regardless of what schedule you decide, if you do something like this be sure you build in an escape route. Tell your employer that if this doesn't work out for you that you would like the option to be able to return to your original schedule with no hard feelings. As long as your employer understands that this is only a test and they have been informed of it in advance there is less likelihood that they would react negatively if you later changed your mind for any reason.

Good luck with your decision!
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

DATo wrote: 05 May 2018, 00:59
Vickie,

I know someone who works from home three days a week (Mon - Wed) and then goes to work for two days for meetings etc. She is very happy with this arrangement. Maybe it could work for you.

VERY IMPORTANT SUGGESTION: Regardless of what schedule you decide, if you do something like this be sure you build in an escape route. Tell your employer that if this doesn't work out for you that you would like the option to be able to return to your original schedule with no hard feelings. As long as your employer understands that this is only a test and they have been informed of it in advance there is less likelihood that they would react negatively if you later changed your mind for any reason.

Good luck with your decision!
Thank you so much DATo for this very detailed explanation. It's very smart and applicable. Will try it out. Thanks again!
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:

Post by love_b00ks »

amydoshier wrote: 02 May 2018, 23:17 I have also had three kids. And I preferred to work away from home because that was my time to get some me time away from the chaos and The Hectic lifestyle I had raising two boys and a little girl.
I feel you! Kids can be a handful! :D :D :D
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:

Post by love_b00ks »

PlanetHauth wrote: 03 May 2018, 00:06 I have no kids, though am planning to have them, and I'd love to work from home. I'm a homebody and love to stay at home. However, I'd definitely have to have a dedicated work space. Right now I work on OBC from my couch, but for some of my other ambitions I hope to achieve, I'd need to make myself a workspace in order to keep myself on track. I should probably find a new desk now (sold the old one in anticipation of moving in September) and set up a distraction-free space, though. I find myself getting distracted writing my reviews. :lol2:

That said, if I do work from home, I think having some back up spaces outside of the house would be great when I'm tired of the same scenery. Maybe a library, a couple of coffee shops, or something similar would be a good backup.
A dedicated work space would truly be great! I have been working from home since 2009 and with 3 kids around, it can be really distracting but I somehow got used to the chaos. :D
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:

Post by love_b00ks »

DATo wrote: 03 May 2018, 02:24 I think ultimately the merits of this plan varies with each individual and each individual's circumstances.

The negatives:

These are excellent points! :)
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:

Post by love_b00ks »

The negatives:

I am also a homebody that is why working from home is a great thing for me. I do insurance part time to get to socialize or meet other people every now and then but mostly I do online writing and/or marketing, jobs that I can do whenever I want/can. :D
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

I am a mother of two amazing boys who won't let me concetrate on my work since they are always seeking my attention. I prefer working from an office--for now
MostAmazed
Currently Reading: Food Bank Britain
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by MostAmazed »

I rather work at home mainly just to be my own boss I wanna have the feeling of having to be reliable to people and being able to do what I want and my way and be able to support myself and my family and retire early haha
Arronhardy

Post by Arronhardy »

I would rather work at home. The reason is, I am more productive on my own. The way most people do things I have ways of doing them faster my way without breaking or binding the rule's. In many Cases this has cost me Job's just because I am who I am. Another reason I would rather work at home is because, I live in a place where people speak other languages so in most cases people thank you can learn it one day or so. When you can't then you have the added stress that situation and the job including the stresses is a none understanding boss. There are many other reason but I don't want to write a book here.

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”