What Bible verse do you like?

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
See_B00kReaDs
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

What Bible verse do you like?

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

I like the following Bible verses:

1 John 4:18-19 - "There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. We love because he first loved us."

Hebrews 11:1 - "Now faith is the assurance of what we hope for and the certainty of what we do not see."
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

God bless you! :D
DonnaHahn67
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by DonnaHahn67 »

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
kaiyamoyan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kaiyamoyan »

aahh!! I love that verse! (1John 4:18)

Here's another one I like:
Matthew 15:11.
What goes into someone's mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them."
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Oh, you picked one of my favorites of 1 John.
Another of mine is:
2 Chronicles 20:15 He said: “Listen, King Jehoshaphat and all who live in Judah and Jerusalem! This is what the Lord says to you: ‘Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God’s.
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

I like Revelations 21:4, talking about heaven, as there is so much pain in this life.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

Numbers 22:21-29 (King James)

Then the angel of the LORD moved on ahead and stood in a narrow place where there was no room to turn, either to the right or to the left. When the donkey saw the angel of the LORD, she lay down under Balaam, and he was angry and beat her with his staff. Then the LORD opened the donkey's mouth, and she said to Balaam, "What have I done to you to make you beat me these three times?" Balaam answered the donkey, "You have made a fool of me! If I had a sword in my hand, I would kill you right now."

I have always marveled at this passage. I mean, Balaam's donkey actually talks to him and instead of choking on what he has just seen and heard Balaam talks back to it casually after beating it and says he'd kill it if he had the means at hand. See, this is why I don't believe that this was actually an angel of the Lord. I think it was just a ventriloquist pretending to be an angel of the Lord and that stupid Balaam fell for it. There sure were a lot of stupid people back then. Today too if you stop to think about it. And another thing, what in the wide, wide world of sports was the purpose of putting this into the Bible? I mean, even if it was an angel of the Lord why would God send it all the way to earth just to make a donkey talk? I would have been more impressed if the angel had given the donkey the power to stand on its hind legs and grab that staff away from Balaam and beat the hell out of him for abusing animals. That angel sure would have gotten the PETA vote.

(No donkeys were injured in the creation of this post.)
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Allie_L
Currently Reading: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Allie_L »

"Cast your anxiety on Him because He cares for you." - 1 Peter 5:7
This is the verse that gets me through every anxious period and panic attack I have.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Im not sure exactly where this is at, but I think it is in James.

A friend of this world is an enemy of God. It pretty much sums things up.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Moshea
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Moshea »

I like many of them but one of my favorite is psalm 61
See_B00kReaDs
Currently Reading:

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

Bighuey wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 19:37 Im not sure exactly where this is at, but I think it is in James.

A friend of this world is an enemy of God. It pretty much sums things up.
The verse is found in James 4:4
"You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God? Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God"
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

See_B00kReaDs
Currently Reading:

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

DonnaHahn67 wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 09:53 John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
I believe this is the most popular bible verse. :)
– Francis Chan

See_B00kReaDs
Currently Reading:

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

kaiyamoyan wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 11:00 aahh!! I love that verse! (1John 4:18)

Here's another one I like:
Matthew 15:11.
What goes into someone's mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them."
Continuation on Matthew 15:18-20
18 But the things that come out of a person’s mouth come from the heart, and these defile them. 19 For out of the heart come evil thoughts—murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander. 20 These are what defile a person; but eating with unwashed hands does not defile them.”
– Francis Chan

See_B00kReaDs
Currently Reading:

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

melissy370 wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 19:55 Oh, you picked one of my favorites of 1 John.
Another of mine is:
2 Chronicles 20:15 He said: “Listen, King Jehoshaphat and all who live in Judah and Jerusalem! This is what the Lord says to you: ‘Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God’s.
I like this verse too. Another similar verse found in Deuteronomy 31:6
“Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”
– Francis Chan

Ami_Violet
Currently Reading: #staymarried
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Ami_Violet »

Love this thread! I recently discovered this verse; in and out of context I think it's beautiful:
"And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love." 2 John verse 6
:)
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by love_b00ks »

My life verse is Philippians 1:6 - He who began a good work in you will complete it...
I also love so many others and claiming promises for my life like Romans 8:28, Matthew 6:33, etc

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”