Do you have any interest in Latin?

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
PiscesProditionis
Bookshelf Size: 0

Do you have any interest in Latin?

Post by PiscesProditionis »

Hi! I was wondering how many people here have any interest in Latin...
What are some ways you’ve seen it used in books? I remember it being used for the spells in Harry Potter and in books set in Ancient Rome, but I’m curious about if it makes a big appearance in other types of novels.
Thank you for reading! :) Have a great day!
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

I occasionally run into it in my reading at which time I do wish I understood it. I am particularly interested in well known sayings and quotes which are in Latin. I found out long ago that doing a search for "List Of Latin Phrases" returns a Wikipedia page which gives a huge and excellent compendium of Latin phraseology broken down alphabetically. I am posting the link below in the event that it may be of interest to others. This is well worth saving as a favorite if you have a list of reference web bookmarks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Latin_phrases
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Lincolnshirelass

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

I learnt Latin at school, which, of course, I initially resented, as we chanted, 'Latin is a language as dead as dead can be, it killed the ancient Romans, now it's killing me!'. Then at another school, we did a different course where there was actually the history of a family, including tragic deaths at Pompeii, and we all got into it, with quite a few tears shed. Now I'm glad to have at least some knowledge of Latin as I think it can be helpful with other languages and, as @DATo says, there are also a plethora of excellent Latin aphorisms. I believe there has been something of a resurgence of interest in Latin in school lately, which is oddly heartening, and also proves that children DO want to learn things that are not merely 'useful'.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
DesireeRose
Currently Reading: The Blood of Winter
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desireerose.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by DesireeRose »

Yes, I do! I am taking a Latin class right now. It is helpful, especially if you would like to go on to learning different languages, because most languages have their roots in Latin. It is quite fun to learn where some of our English words come from as well!
Dee_7Reichardt
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Currently Reading: Tears and Trombones
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-7reichardt.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Dee_7Reichardt »

I love the use of Latin in books and as a precursor to many other languages. I find that some words in Spanish or Italian can be related to Latin terms, which helps me to figure out their meaning. I have seen it used mostly in Harry Potter, in religious hymns, and even in the medical field.
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I studied Latin in college, I definitely have an intrest.
I always stumble across it in books or in poetry.
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

So many of the classics use it that it makes me sad that it is not used to prevalently as it was back in the days of yore. I definitely want to learn it!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
cyberyamato12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by cyberyamato12 »

I know some Spanish words since I myself have Spaniard ancestry although I live in the far east. so most Spanish words are based on Latin for the reason they have been part of the roman empire ever since.

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”