Do you keep a vocabulary list?

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
Aituaje
Currently Reading: Heaven and Earth
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aituaje.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Do you keep a vocabulary list?

Post by Aituaje »

Fairly self-explanatory. When you read, do you have a place to record new words you stumble across? If so, where? Is it physical? Digital? Do you refer to it? Do you ever use words from it? Is it helpful?
Cheyenne Perkins
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheyenne-perkins.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Cheyenne Perkins »

I absolutely do! Most of the time I write them down, but sometimes I store them in my memory bank. The most recent word I learned was petrichor. It's a beautiful word.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

Yes. When i was in grade school I was taught by nuns, and the one who taught reading would give us ten vocabulary words a day. For homework we were to look them up and write the definition and a sentence using the word. Then, on Friday we would have a quiz comprising twenty of the fifty words. Of course we didn't know which would be on the quiz so we'd have to brush up on all of them. Long story short - when I was in seventh grade I scored high school sophmore/seventh month in vocabulary on the Iowa Basics national testing regimen .... so, I conclude ..... it was a good teaching method.

Today I do the same thing. Sometimes I will scan a dictionary for words I don't know or write down words which I run into in my reading that I am unfamiliar with. I make a list and review it from time to time to, test myself. I have found that it was much easier to learn when I was a kid than it is now though *LOL*.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Iammonia2016
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Iammonia2016 »

Yes i do... keeping a vocabulary is very helpful it helps me to expand on how i speak and which way i speak... Mines is kept in journal i use it on a regular
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

I look up new words I stumble across but I don't write out a list or anything
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

I DO! And, I love that you asked this. I am a fervent word-of-the-day person. I never actually attempt to use the words in my daily language (defeating the purpose, I know), but if it's a word I like, I write it in a little leather journal that sits on my side table. That is the only thing in this journal...words I want to use in the future :lol2:
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Dee_7Reichardt
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Currently Reading: Tears and Trombones
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-7reichardt.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Dee_7Reichardt »

I do not keep a written list. However, there is mental list of words that have stuck with me from vocabulary lessons taught to me in Junior High and High School. I like to refer this when my speaking requires more variety. If I am reading a book and find a new word that I like, I also add it to the same mental list. That's just how my mind is organized I guess.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I used to! I had several random books, I'd just grab the nearest writing pad and scribble down the words. As time went on, I got more organised and wrote all the words in one book, with meanings, transcriptions and sample sentences. I also tried to employ them in my daily speech....miss those days. Now, though, I just look new words up in the dictionary, conjure up some sentences and continue on my way. I don't know if I'll actually remember them until, perhaps, the need arises.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

A little notebook just for that purpose. :)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

I did when I was in secondary school and the teacher forced us to keep a list.
But I don't really see it helping me. If I don't understand a word, I would write a short passage using it so that my brain gets used to its meaning. But if I just note down the word and its definition on a list, there's no guarantee that I learnt the word. There's not much difference between checking the vocab list and checking the dictionary. So why bother?

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”