Your Family Sayings

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Your Family Sayings

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

I was wondering about the special sayings and idioms that seem to develop in families - for instance, a favourite saying of my Mum's about something very hot was 'As hot as Hell's Hob' - on the basis that if Hell is hot, its hob is going to be even hotter! We also always referred to tea that was too strong or 'stewed' as 'Uncle Billy's tea', as said Uncle Billy tended to leave his tea in the pot all day steeping and steeping.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

Well, I am italian so there are many funny sayings that are used in my family you may not know of. For example, if someone leaves the entrance door open, someone will shout: "This is not the Coliseum!". It's used pretty much everywhere in Italy, but it's funny to me when I hear it. Also in my family there is a very specific saying which has to do with a character in our city, who goes by the name of Canè (with an accent). Basically, this guy is very well known in the (small) city: he's a bit overweight and he's always going around on a rusty bycicle shouting random things out loud in a raspy voice. He's so well known that everybody here (including me) started using his name as if they wanted to reinforce what they are about to say, sort of like: "Who's going to do it then, Canè?" or even "Go ask Canè, I don't even care.". It's used because this guy is so loud, so random and most importantly, so loved by the locals, that he basically fits in every social situation.
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

A lot of family members on my mothers side used the expression Taint funny, McGee. Its from the old radio program Fibber McGee and Molly. My Dad would sometimes say Are you ready Hessie? From the Hoosier Hotshots, a novelty musical group from way back when.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

When one of us is down, we always remind them that "Everything happens for a reason. "
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
ems2
Currently Reading: Political Dirty Trick
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ems2.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by ems2 »

I'm going to see Susan. That's a saying I think my Grandmother started when she had to use the bathroom

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”