How do you feel about cliches?

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

How do you feel about cliches?

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

I've been mulling this over for a while ..... we're always told to avoid them, both in speech and writing, and I agree you can get a bit over-loaded with them, but some of them are actually very expressive, such as 'as happy as a pig in muck' (expurgated version!) and 'in two shakes of a dog's tail'. On the other hand, some are a bit meaningless - eg, head over heels - isn't that where your head should be anyway?
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
pinefamily
Currently Reading: Magician
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by pinefamily »

There's probably a time and place for them; in spoken conversation is the most obvious occasion.
Head over heels perhaps relates to being in a spin?
Maybe we need to discuss the meaning of clichés on this thread. :D
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I can take them or I can leave them. :roll: Sadly, I have also found that I can't live with them and can't live without them. :P
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

I think cliches have quite a good reason to exist. I find myself using them very often, especially when I hear them for the first time and want to try out what kind of effect they have in social situations. For example, if someone would understand what I'm saying and reply immediately or if they'd be somewhat puzzled by it. However, I do not like cliches in literature: I believe it to be quite boring to see a piece of literature where cliches are over-used, unless they're there to provide context, as in when somebody's having a conversation and the book has to provide an exact representation of that discussion.

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”