What will you do if your child is gay'

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
Preciosonic
Currently Reading: Before I Wake
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

What will you do if your child is gay'

Post by Preciosonic »

Most parents will accept it but others would try to change them by forcing them into marriage with the opposite sex,'if' it was your child,what will you do?
Better is not good enough but the best is yet to come. Let Love Lead.
By Prophet T.B.Joshua
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

It would matter about as much as what color hair they were born with. Healthy, happy, and a good heart are the only factors that are important.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

Completely accept it and hope they find someone to make them happy.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Gravy wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 23:37 It would matter about as much as what color hair they were born with. Healthy, happy, and a good heart are the only factors that are important.
:text-yeahthat:
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Preciosonic
Currently Reading: Before I Wake
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Preciosonic »

Thanks for your views
Better is not good enough but the best is yet to come. Let Love Lead.
By Prophet T.B.Joshua
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Love them them just the same, but I might worry about them facing oppression or violence because of who they love.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Do what every good parent would do: Continue to give them the unconditional love they received from me from the moment I knew I was pregnant.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
jomaread

Post by jomaread »

I will look for the root cause and substitute with the opposite sex, letting him know that woman was made for man and not the opposit
Lincolnshirelass

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

:gay-rainbowflag: @jomaread - I respect your right to your opinion, but cannot agree with it. Being gay is neither an illness nor a lifestyle choice, it is how somebody is born, and a caring and life-affirming gay relationship should be celebrated as the beautiful thing it is. At long, long last we are coming to a realisation of this. so hopefully, in the future, the suffering endured by people like Oscar Wilde and Alan Turing will be no more. There is still a very long way to go. BTW, not that it matters, but I am straight and am a Christian.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Lincolnshirelass wrote: 13 Dec 2017, 06:03 :gay-rainbowflag: @jomaread - I respect your right to your opinion, but cannot agree with it. Being gay is neither an illness nor a lifestyle choice, it is how somebody is born, and a caring and life-affirming gay relationship should be celebrated as the beautiful thing it is. At long, long last we are coming to a realisation of this. so hopefully, in the future, the suffering endured by people like Oscar Wilde and Alan Turing will be no more. There is still a very long way to go. BTW, not that it matters, but I am straight and am a Christian.
Hear! Hear! :gay-rainbowflag: :gay-rainbowflag: :gay-umbrella:

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Lincolnshirelass wrote: 13 Dec 2017, 06:03 :gay-rainbowflag: @jomaread - I respect your right to your opinion, but cannot agree with it. Being gay is neither an illness nor a lifestyle choice, it is how somebody is born, and a caring and life-affirming gay relationship should be celebrated as the beautiful thing it is. At long, long last we are coming to a realisation of this. so hopefully, in the future, the suffering endured by people like Oscar Wilde and Alan Turing will be no more. There is still a very long way to go. BTW, not that it matters, but I am straight and am a Christian.
Thank you for eloquently saying what I was feeling after reading that comment. This fall I got to watch my cousin marry her wife. Watching our two families wholeheartedly embrace each other and them felt like the most natural thing to do. My cousin's wife's Episcopalian pastor traveled 1,000 miles to officiate the wedding. My 93 year old grandmother insisted that they share their first toast with the champagne glasses that everyone else in my family has used on their wedding day. My uncle was overjoyed to gain a second daughter. Love is love and we should all learn to embrace it in its many different forms.
The Canadian Witch
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1329">Blue Haven</a>
Currently Reading: Out of Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 322

Post by The Canadian Witch »

Well first i would tell my kid from a young age that they are free to love who they want, regardless if it's a boy or a girl. I myself am pansexual, so i would have no problem at all. And if my child told me he or she is gay, i would tell them how much i love them and that it won't change anything, all i want is for my children to be happy. :D
Molly May
Currently Reading: Professor P and the Jurassic Coast
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-molly-may.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Molly May »

First off, I would raise my children with the understanding that it is absolutely fine for someone to be gay; what matters is how someone treats others. If my child told me they were gay, I'd probably give them a big hug and thank them trusting me to listen and understand. From them on, I would be supportive when they needed to talk about it or if they wanted to go to Pride or anything. However, on a daily basis, I would not make a big deal out of it because their sexuality is normal and I would not want them to see it as a controversial topic.
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

My feelings wouldnt change towards my kids if I found they were gay. I dont agree with the lifestyle, but if thats what made them happy and they wernt hurting anyone else so what? Its their business and right or wrong the parents should stay out of it.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

I'd probably have a ton of fun if my child was gay. I always find gay people to be incredibly amusing. I have to say I'd be a bit thrown off by it though. I have nothing against gay people, but I'm also quite traditionalistic when it comes to relationships. I want it just the way everyone has ever done it: marriage, kids, family, retirement etc.

If it happened that in the future (I'm a bit young to have kids now) one of my kids would tell me that he was gay, I would wholeheartedly accept it, but I would need to be able to communicate with him in some way that would tell me more about his personality, since to me personally, mental well-being is the most important out of all health care and I wouldn't want to my kid to doubt his own persona.

Please note, I am not saying that I believe for gay people to have some kind of different mindset (although they might). I am saying that I would want the environment in which my child has built his persona to be optimal for his well-being and his growth, which means that, as a gay person, he would have to take care of his own perspectives on life in a manner that would not unnecessarily hurt him.

It's often seen how gay people try to claim their place on earth by shouting out loud how "proud" they are. That is what I would not like my child to feel like. If you were born gay, awesome, I'll support you all the way through, but don't make of it a statement, don't make of it a difference, don't make of it a sensation.

That is what I think about it :)
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”