Commenting on other's reviews

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Commenting on other's reviews

Post by CommMayo »

Is it just me or do you consider it common courtesy to comment on someone's review if they comment on yours? The number of unique replies to your reviews is so important to your popularity score, it seems like common sense to help each other out by commenting. Anyone who comments on my reviews get a comment back on their most recent review. When I see people who have two reviews and only two posts total, I'm not really inclined to comment on their review since they aren't contributing to the success of anyone else.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who feels this way :x
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I know how you feel, CommMayo. I also try to reciprocate whenever I get comments on my reviews.

Keep on supporting other reviewers (especially the new ones) by making thoughtful comments on their reviews. I'm sure you feel good when you are able to help them improve their popularity score. (They appreciate your comments, whether they reciprocate or not.)

Also, join the off-topic discussions (yes, those "silly" games that are so much fun!) so more people will get to know you.

We're all here to read books, earn a little extra from reviews, make new friends, and have fun.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I do tend to go check and comment on the reviews of those who have left thoughtful comments on my reviews.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Thank you your upbeat comments and suggestions @Miriam Molina
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It takes a while, but if you stick around long enough and let people know who you are and what you are about, you'll get people to start commenting on your reviews. Hang in there!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Oh wow, I thought I was the only one who felt that way, CommMayo. I certainly make it a priority to comment on reviews of those who check mine out too. But it does help to take the initiative by checking out and commenting on the reviews of others first. That way, they'll be more inclined to check yours out. I'm still working on it on my angle here :wink:
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

I completely agree with this. I've only just recently joined this site, but I've always made it a practice to check out and comment on reviews if someone does so on mine on different sites. I feel like it's just sort of nice to read and comment on something of the other person's if they've taken the time out of their day to both read my review and leave me a thoughtful comment. It's kind of a way to show that I appreciated it, imo.
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

I think it's a matter of engagement more than anything else. If one truly enjoys what he's doing, the popularity score is just another step towards having a blast. However, it takes time for these things to work out the way they are intended to. Have you seen how many reviews are posted on here every day? It would be crazy to try and answer to all of the people that may comment on a popular review.

With that said, if someone is new (like I am), then he should try to engage as much as possible in the actual forums to get his name out there, so that people actually know who this guy is.

After that point, I think it's only a matter of who's writing the better reviews.
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”