What do you do outside of OBC?

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

What do you do outside of OBC?

Post by Ashley Simon »

I teach English online to students in Beijing. I love the flexibility of working online, and my students rock! I also do some freelance writing and editing on the side, and I've recently started doing some grant writing for local nonprofits. I really love my teaching job, but I'm hoping to eventually become a full-time writer, editor, and/or reviewer.

I wondered what kinds of hobbies/work people do outside of OBC. Do you write full-time, or is this just a fun addition to a completely different career?
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

That's interesting to hear. It seems quite a lot of people on this site write in their spare time.

For me, this is an addition to completely unrelated job. I work in customer service! I like OBC as it's a place to discover books I wouldn't usually come across, plus writing reviews improves my writing and attention to language. I have my own book blog and instagram and at some point want to put reviews on there. I have only done a couple of paid reviews on here so far, and the rest are unpaid.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I just have a normal life. I work, study, cook, travel, eat, hang out with friends and so on. I do not write anymore. I used to write short stories for kids, but I haven't done it in a while.
Sally_Heart
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-heart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sally_Heart »

I am a student pursuing a course in information technology.
eelavahs-jay
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by eelavahs-jay »

I'm a university student and tutor to pre school/kindergarten kids.
Ashley Simon

Post by Ashley Simon »

Gingerbo0ks wrote:That's interesting to hear. It seems quite a lot of people on this site write in their spare time.

For me, this is an addition to completely unrelated job. I work in customer service! I like OBC as it's a place to discover books I wouldn't usually come across, plus writing reviews improves my writing and attention to language. I have my own book blog and instagram and at some point want to put reviews on there. I have only done a couple of paid reviews on here so far, and the rest are unpaid.
That's great! I do a little blogging myself, and I like the idea of a book blog. I'd love to check yours out.

-- 08 Oct 2017, 11:19 --
Kalin Adi wrote:I just have a normal life. I work, study, cook, travel, eat, hang out with friends and so on. I do not write anymore. I used to write short stories for kids, but I haven't done it in a while.
Neat! If you get back into it you should share your stories on here :)
Nomzamo Nawodya
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nomzamo-nawodya.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by Nomzamo Nawodya »

I have a part time job of marketing that requires me to travel at least twice a month. Apart from that, I hang out with friends,sell books and eat. I love food
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
R. W. Emerson
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Ashley Simon

Post by Ashley Simon »

Nomzamo Nawodya wrote:I have a part time job of marketing that requires me to travel at least twice a month. Apart from that, I hang out with friends,sell books and eat. I love food
Sounds like an awesome job!
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I left the corporate world (where I used to be software tech support and trainer) several years ago, so now I'm blogging, book reviewing, working from home, basically. I'm a deep introvert, so while for many being home all day long sounds pretty boring, for me it's perfect.
Ashley Simon

Post by Ashley Simon »

kislany wrote:I left the corporate world (where I used to be software tech support and trainer) several years ago, so now I'm blogging, book reviewing, working from home, basically. I'm a deep introvert, so while for many being home all day long sounds pretty boring, for me it's perfect.
That's great! I work mostly from home too. I'm an extrovert so sometimes I get a little stir crazy ;) But the flexibility is awesome.
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

Haha yeah, extroverts might not be able to do it longterm. However, working from home for them can also mean working from anywhere they have access to a laptop, which is a great way to get off the rat race train and still be among people, etc. I love staying at home. It doesn't show online, but I'm truly an extrovert. Thinking back at the times I was traveling to other countries to keep workshops and teach colleagues and clients our software...not sure how I managed to do it for so many years...
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

I am a domestic helper in Saudi Arabia. I'm busy dancing in the never-ending remix of household chores. ? I scribble something on my website when I'm free.
Ashley Simon

Post by Ashley Simon »

Dolor wrote:I am a domestic helper in Saudi Arabia. I'm busy dancing in the never-ending remix of household chores. ? I scribble something on my website when I'm free.
Sounds like a great occupation!
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I work for my County's Fire Department. I create custom maps that our 38 fire companies use in the stations and the field to get to emergencies. I use my mapping/modeling software to help the Department Chiefs make decisions on where to put new stations and extra ambulances/fire engines based on emergency call volume and historic response times. I also create and maintain a lot of the information that goes into making our 911 system work to guide paramedics and firefighters to the site of emergencies. In my spare time, I manage and do the books for my husband's custom mountain bike and marine fabrication business.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

No one else is going to add to this thread? I've been so curious about what other people here do for a living.

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”