How did you get your name?

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
Rochelle Torres
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: How did you get your name?

Post by Rochelle Torres »

My mom told me that my cousin from australia chose my name! Because he got my name from a newspaper! And that same name I had was an athlete by that time

-- 24 Aug 2017, 09:16 --

My mom told me that my cousin from australia chose my name! Because he got my name from a newspaper! And that same name I had was an athlete by that time
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

I got my name from my grandfather from my father's side as I was the first born.
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Amyudeh
Currently Reading: Essence of Existence
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Amyudeh »

My name is "Amarachi". This name was given to me by my parents. It means " God's grace". In most cases, names are derived from circumstances surrounding the birth of a child just like my case. I had some complications at my point of delivery. I had done a scan and the report said " 0 (Zero) fetal movement", baby's heart beat was not recognized, I was even given an oxygen, but after all the trauma, I gave birth to a healthy, beautiful bouncing baby girl. I named her "Stephanie" Which means 'crowned in victory'. She came out victorious after all the trauma.
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

I was named after my Father's mother. She passed away before I was born.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
Trina Higgs
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trina-higgs.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Trina Higgs »

I got my name from my mothers side. A great great aunt was name Katarina so they went with something similar. My mom originally wanted to name me Shalese.
"A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities."
J.R.R. Tolkien
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

My father named me Anjum because it means a STAR. I didn't like my name in the beginning, but when I learned about its meaning, I really love it.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
afton_moye
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afton-moye.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by afton_moye »

My mom liked the name Ashton but my dad thought it was too common so he switched out the 'sh' for a 'f' and named me Afton. To this day people still call me Ashton even after I have introduced myself haha
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

I was born on St. Patrick's Day, my dad was drunk and wanted to name me Patricia. My older siblings, however, won the war and named me after an actress they can't remember
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

My name is Judith Irene, both being family names, and I'm fine with it (they also both work with either English or German pronunciation which is handy as I have family and friends who are speakers of both languages.) My only tiny quibble is that my surname begins with M which gives JIM, still, there are plenty worse initial combinations, I mean, they could have called me Belinda Ursula .... :wink:
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
Suzzete
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzzete.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by Suzzete »

I got my name from my mother's best friend. She was very pretty according to her, and a sweet lady.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

My name is a combination of my parents' names. It's the real name of the midwife's assistant who helped my mother back when she was about to deliver me.
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

I was almost Kimberly. But then one of my father's army buddies named his daughter Kimberly so my mom decided they couldn't and that's how I ended up with the name Stephanie. Honestly, I don't know what my parents liked about it so much since I've never really been that fond of my name. It works well, but it's just not what I would've chosen for myself.
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

I like the name Stephanie, and it also offers various abbreviations, like Steff, Steffi, Stevie, etc.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
Cátia Rato
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catiarato.html
Latest Review: The Inmate by Alan P. Woodruff

Post by Cátia Rato »

This one is great. My dad told my mum "just name her whatever you feel like". To this day I don't let him hear the end of it, it could have turned out to be an awful name.
The Canadian Witch
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1329">Blue Haven</a>
Currently Reading: Out of Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 322

Post by The Canadian Witch »

There's a singer, Ginette Reno, in Canada that is considered the biggest voice in Quebec, even more than Celine Dion, and her daughter is named Natacha, since she is my mom's favorite singer, i inherited of her daughter's name. funnily enough, we are friends on Facebook.

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”