Do you chat online?

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
Erik
Currently Reading: Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 10

Do you chat online?

Post by Erik »

I used to enjoy chatting online, but in the past 10 years or so, I abandoned it. Too much... well.. yuck.
The trouble is, I really quite miss having a group that met for chat about books, music, family, life. I'll never again go into an open, unmoderated chat again.. to many kids, trolls, perverts, spammers, scammers... but I do think it would be grand to create a private chat open only to members of this forum.

Anyone else interested?
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

Erik wrote:I used to enjoy chatting online, but in the past 10 years or so, I abandoned it. Too much... well.. yuck.
The trouble is, I really quite miss having a group that met for chat about books, music, family, life. I'll never again go into an open, unmoderated chat again.. to many kids, trolls, perverts, spammers, scammers... but I do think it would be grand to create a private chat open only to members of this forum.

Anyone else interested?
I put this same idea in the suggestion box and had quite a bit of back and forth on it. I also would love the live interaction available in a chat feature. It is synchronous instead of the hurry up and wait for a reply that threaded discussions give. I agree that it would be a valuable addition to this site.
Erik

Post by Erik »

There's a certain flow to real-time conversation that just doesn't happen with a threaded forum, true... and I do believe that people can create friendships much more easily through realtime chat than via such a choppy, time-intensive medium as an online forum.

That said, in my experience, waiting for such a feature to be added on a forum tends to be frustrating. It's a lot of work for the admins and programmers, and they're unlikely to invest that work without proof that it will be used beyond a few weeks' novelty.

So, I was wondering if it might not be valuable to use a currently-available platform to create a chat that forum users could use, as sort of a test environment to see if people would be interested. We could easily set something up on AIM, which allows group chats. AIM is really the only one I am very familiar with, but if you have one that would work better, I'm willing to install and learn how to use/support it.

We'd have to have interested people PM/email us so we could add them in, and agree on times to open the room, but I can see it working.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I recommend posting any suggestions about it here. It's been on the table for a while, so who knows! :D
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Erik

Post by Erik »

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, Gravy. I do hope this gets off the ground. I do miss that option.

If anyone has AIM, I am there as ConservatorErik. Feel free to message me.
AJarosz1
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajarosz1.html

Post by AJarosz1 »

I haven't for a long long time but use to love chatting on ICQ. Who remembers that?! Yahoo messenger and AOL messenger. Plus the old computer role playing games.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I remember that! Feels so long ago. :lol:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
AJarosz1
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajarosz1.html

Post by AJarosz1 »

I know!!! Makes me realize how old I really am lol
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickyoreo86.html
Latest Review: Cover Your Tracks, Leona Leitman by C. S. Johnson

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

AJarosz1 wrote:I haven't for a long long time but use to love chatting on ICQ. Who remembers that?! Yahoo messenger and AOL messenger. Plus the old computer role playing games.

I still play role playing games hehe..never too old. A friend of mine used to create the stories and characters too.... He could be a great writer... Now I am just a geek who likes online gaming on pc.

I am never one to pass up a chance to chat books and life with others.... Live chatting about aimed topics would keep it focused... A bit like the forums do perhaps. Either way it works out it's fun to chat and Learn about others.
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

AJarosz1 wrote:I know!!! Makes me realize how old I really am lol
But being young at heart is the key. :wink:
Vickyoreo86 wrote:
AJarosz1 wrote:I haven't for a long long time but use to love chatting on ICQ. Who remembers that?! Yahoo messenger and AOL messenger. Plus the old computer role playing games.

I still play role playing games hehe..never too old. A friend of mine used to create the stories and characters too.... He could be a great writer... Now I am just a geek who likes online gaming on pc.

I am never one to pass up a chance to chat books and life with others.... Live chatting about aimed topics would keep it focused... A bit like the forums do perhaps. Either way it works out it's fun to chat and Learn about others.
Geeks rock! 8)

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I used to and haven't in years. I use facebook messenger but that is really only to talk to my husband while he is working. I haven't used any other one in years though.
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

All texts and Twitter now.

Erik

Post by Erik »

Anyone interested in meeting on AIM?
I am ConservatorErik on aol instant messenger.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

I did chat online in Nimbuzz chat rooms. Recently, not anymore.

I used to have Whatsapp and IMO apps but I uninstalled both.

I chat on Messenger. If I could receive message, I would reply and chat. Otherwise, I stay as silent as I can be. ?
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

I remember Trillian. It included a few different chat engines in one.

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”