What is the inspiration for your avatar? Is it book related?

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
Age777
Favorite Author: So many to choose...
Favorite Book: As if I could pick just one
Currently Reading: Sammi by W.D. County
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-age777.html
Latest Review: "Sammi" by W.D. County

What is the inspiration for your avatar? Is it book related?

Post by Age777 »

Hi, I was just wondering what the inspiration for your avatar is? Some people obviously use images of themselves (why that specific image?), some don't use one at all (why?) and others use pictures or images. I am wondering why you chose to do what you did?

I chose one of my favorite images from the Anime movie Howl's Moving Castle. It was not a movie I would have normally watched by my younger brother encouraged me to and I loved it. In the spring of 2012 my brother died in a freak accident while riding his bicycle (not motorcycle) home from work. He was only 24 years old. Now everything we shared over the limited years I got to spend with him are cherished. The movie is one of my favorite memories of having from him. That is why I chose one of my favorite images from one of my favorite memories.

Anyone else care to share?
When you're wrong, your really wrong. When you're right, you're a pain in my a$$.
- by Me said originally to my hubby
cheza
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheza.html
Latest Review: "Lost in the Wallpaper, Secrets of Days Gone By" by Heather Fahy Serrano

Post by cheza »

Age777 - ah, may your brother's spirit forever live...

Howl's Moving Castle was indeed a great anime; have you read the book? It's interesting to see the changes Miyazaki made to fit his way of thinking.

As for me, I am boring - I just think cherry blossoms are beautiful.
Latest Review: "Lost in the Wallpaper, Secrets of Days Gone By" by Heather Fahy Serrano
Age777
Favorite Author: So many to choose...
Favorite Book: As if I could pick just one
Currently Reading: Sammi by W.D. County
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-age777.html

Post by Age777 »

Honestly I never even realized it was a book. I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the info.

-- 25 Sep 2013, 16:45 --

And about your avatar...they really are beautiful.
When you're wrong, your really wrong. When you're right, you're a pain in my a$$.
- by Me said originally to my hubby
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

I love swans for their grace, beauty & loyalty. Swan Lake is my favourite ballet & the Celtic mythology story of the Children of Lir was my favourite childhood story. And this particular swan lives on a lake not far from my current home so he/she is more or less a neighbour.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
suzy1124
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by suzy1124 »

Great story Fran,...... coincidentally i just posted the movie " THE SWAN " on the movie game............have you ever seen it? it stars Grace Kelley, and was filmed here in my city where i live at THE BILTMORE HOUSE...............former home of Geo Vanderbilt and now our biggest tourist attraction.............modeled after a*** chateau in France and known as the LARGEST private residence in the USA...

The Chambord in the Loire valley, France...***
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
lady_charlie
Favorite Author: Isabel Allende
Favorite Book: The House of the Spirits
Currently Reading: Very Valentine
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-charlie.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 16996

Post by lady_charlie »

OH I want to see that so bad!
The Biltmore, not The Swan.
I watched a documentary about how they decorate it for Christmas.
This is one of the oddest things about rich people, they often build houses the family can't keep but they are certainly cool while they have them and I just like going to look at them!!!
I did get to see Casa Loma in Toronto and the Swan Castle, the one they modeled the Disney one after. But I still want to see the Biltmore.

Truth be told I change my avatar rather a lot - I had Pooh, who is my hero and life long best inspiration on every topic.
I improve my appetite when I exercise, for example.

I really wanted the picture of Arwen sitting on the bench holding the book in her hands, but it was too big, and I had Arwen before, and Eowyn was small enough to fit.

I am also inspired by strong brave women in books because I am really a smallish bear on the inside, so Eponine and Arwen and Eowyn and Galadriel and oh so many others help keep me going.

The House of the Spirits is my fav book for the same reason - three generations of amazingly strong resilient brave women

There is a series of youtube vids someone made with videos from LOTR and the music from Les Mis, some are really funny and some are so sweet Eponine and Eowyn are stuck in the same place but I never thought about that before I saw the videos
It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. J.R.R. Tolkien
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

L.C., you must visit the Biltmore, especially at Xmas time..........your kidlet 'll love it...that documentary doesn't even come close ....

If you're ever in the area, pls. shoot me a PM, and if you'd like we can go to lunch, i'd love to meet you and your daughter...

i'll never forget your kindness when i was a " Newbie " 8)

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
A24

Post by A24 »

I like to change my avatar with the seasons. As it is starting to feel like a beautiful Fall here in New Jersey, I grabbed this one because it combines my favorite season (Fall) with my favorite pastime (reading). Oh, how I wish I could sit in the park on a bench amongst the falling leaves and absorb a book! No time - back to reality!!
“The Bible is worth all the other books which have ever been printed.”
~Patrick Henry
lady_charlie

Post by lady_charlie »

suzy1124 wrote:L.C., you must visit the Biltmore, especially at Xmas time..........your kidlet 'll love it...that documentary doesn't even come close ....

If you're ever in the area, pls. shoot me a PM, and if you'd like we can go to lunch, i'd love to meet you and your daughter...

Awww...thanks so much!
I will definitely keep that in mind!
The Biltmore is on my bucket list for sure. :lol:

-- 27 Sep 2013, 21:07 --
A24 wrote:I like to change my avatar with the seasons. As it is starting to feel like a beautiful Fall here in New Jersey, I grabbed this one because it combines my favorite season (Fall) with my favorite pastime (reading). Oh, how I wish I could sit in the park on a bench amongst the falling leaves and absorb a book! No time - back to reality!!
I do like the way you always find something cool with a book in it, like Hermione reading in the snow.

That was my fav. That was you, wasn't it? :lol: :oops:
It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. J.R.R. Tolkien
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Sounds good L.C.! 8)

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

I always liked the Republic eagle, I remember it from when I was a kid going to the Saturday movies. The old Gene Autry and Roy Rogers westerns, the serials like King of the Rocketmen, stuff like that. When that eagle flashed on the screen, I knew I was in for a fantastic adventure to take me away form the real world for a little while.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

Just found out recently I am having another grandchild. Photo is from February 2010 when I was working on my last grand baby's quilt...and soon to start on my "grand-bump's" :D I have until late April or early May to complete it...so it is going to be a nice winter project.
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
A24

Post by A24 »

lady_charlie wrote:
suzy1124 wrote:L.C., you must visit the Biltmore, especially at Xmas time..........your kidlet 'll love it...that documentary doesn't even come close ....

Awww...thanks so much!
I will definitely keep that in mind!
The Biltmore is on my bucket list for sure. :lol:

-- 27 Sep 2013, 21:07 --
A24 wrote:I like to change my avatar with the seasons. As it is starting to feel like a beautiful Fall here in New Jersey, I grabbed this one because it combines my favorite season (Fall) with my favorite pastime (reading). Oh, how I wish I could sit in the park on a bench amongst the falling leaves and absorb a book! No time - back to reality!!
I do like the way you always find something cool with a book in it, like Hermione reading in the snow.

That was my fav. That was you, wasn't it? :lol: :oops:
Yes, I had the Hermione one. I loved that one. I think I put that one up right after I had recently finished the Harry Potter series (better late than never).

-- Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:12 am --
Carla Hurst-Chandler wrote:Just found out recently I am having another grandchild. Photo is from February 2010 when I was working on my last grand baby's quilt...and soon to start on my "grand-bump's" :D I have until late April or early May to complete it...so it is going to be a nice winter project.
Congrats! You like quilting Carla? I do too! Oh, how I wish I had more time for it. I did buy some material the other day (favorite part of quilting) to make a surfboard/waves wall hanging for my one daughter. She loves to surf. Now, if I can find the time and privacy (it's a surprise) to start!
“The Bible is worth all the other books which have ever been printed.”
~Patrick Henry
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

I had forgot about my pic! Its a pic from Baltimore in South Cork when I visited there last year. I started on this forum with a horror pic every 1000 posts but I think I have done all the monsters now so I will update it with a holiday snap ha.
You only live once.....so live!
lady_charlie

Post by lady_charlie »

StephenKingman wrote:I had forgot about my pic! Its a pic from Baltimore in South Cork when I visited there last year. I started on this forum with a horror pic every 1000 posts but I think I have done all the monsters now so I will update it with a holiday snap ha.
What is that thing? Is it a nuclear plant or a rocket or what?

A Faery castle?

Can you tell I have been speculating about this for a bit?

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”