School Appropriate

Discuss the April 2015 book of the month, "Paper Towns" by John Green.
ebfielder
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebfielder.html
Latest Review: "Tick" by Allison Rose

School Appropriate

Post by ebfielder »

What grade level would you recommend this book? My sixth graders are reading this but I think it is a bit inapproiate for their level. Opinions?
Latest Review: "Tick" by Allison Rose
laceyreads

Post by laceyreads »

I think that Paper Towns is appropriate for eighth grade and up... But that's just my opinion.
Book2Book
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book2book.html

Post by Book2Book »

It does deal with some tough subjects. It all depends on the maturity of the 6th graders. If they're reading Hunger Games/Twilight already this will be fine for them.
Yoshimaster55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoshimaster55.html

Post by Yoshimaster55 »

I would say high school age. I don't think the theme of suicide is something that should be encouraged among younger readers.
fari30
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Post by fari30 »

I read Paper Towns when I was in 7th grade but even before then, I had read books containing tough subjects and agree that it depends on how mature the 6th graders were. When I think back to my sixth-grade class, I'd say at least a third of them would read Paper Towns, enjoy it, dissect it and discuss it and be done with it. While another third would laugh through the entire thing, make weird innuendos that made no sense or be scarred for life. The other third wouldn't touch a book with a 10-foot pole. So, really, it all depends on the students, their maturity, their experiences and how they react to certain things.
My weekend is all booked!
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa »

I personally think it all depends on the maturity level of who's reading it. Especially now a days, kids are being introduced to harder topics earlier on. This of course is important, but it ultimately leads to whether or not it's acceptable at a certain age.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera
MerryLove
Currently Reading: A Court of Wings and Ruin
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merrylove.html
Latest Review: "Coppers Journey" by Julius Green
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MerryLove »

I absolutely agree with what others have said before. While a middle school grade would be appropriate, it would depend on the culture and experiences of the kids that go to that school. Some kiddos are exposed to difficult topics earlier in life than others, and if the group of kids has that experience as a whole, they may indeed be ready for it by 6th grade.
Latest Review: "Coppers Journey" by Julius Green
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

I think we often have this "monkey see, monkey do" attitude when it comes to kids or teens. As far as the book's complexity, it's perfectly readable to pre-teens and up, but I don't think reading it, even if it is "inappropriate", is going to have as much influence as some people would think.
MarvelGirl
Favorite Author: F. Scott Fitzgerald
Currently Reading: Tender Is the Night
Bookshelf Size: 18
fav_author_id: 2471

Post by MarvelGirl »

ebfielder wrote:What grade level would you recommend this book? My sixth graders are reading this but I think it is a bit inapproiate for their level. Opinions?
Sixth grade doesn't sound too inappropriate. John Green's "Looking for Alaska" sound probably be read in high school, but I think that "Paper Towns" is fine in a middle school setting.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

There are a few subjects in this book that are not appropriate for 6th grade students but it is not a big deal these days. It depends upon the maturity of the reader.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by gaporter »

I think this might be more appropriate for 9th or 10th graders. A high school graduation is a very abstract concept for 6th graders, I'd think, because it's still 6 years away for them. Freshmen and sophomores, though, would understand the importance of these situations because they see their peers going through it and can count the days until they reach that stage as well. While the themes of empathy, truly listening to other people, etc are relevant for all age groups, I think the topics of suicide and sexual innuendos are also more appropriate for a slightly older audience. I also think that high schoolers could better relate to the characters and understand that the relationship between Margo and Quentin is not exactly healthy or ideal, which a younger audience might not fully understand.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

I would say 8th graders or above. Not everybody can handle a book like this before that age.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

The themes of suicide, depression, and dropping everything for what you love- even when itś unreasonable- are very mature. Therefore, I recommend it to high school age students.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

I would say, with how sensitive society's gotten about dark thematic elements in media and how it affects and influences children's development, it's best for high school audiences and up, hence the YA tag. I do think that children who display high levels of maturity and reasoning shouldn't be limited, however, in the materials that they're exposed to but how would be determine who those children are? I've been reading books with all sorts of scenes and themes generally thought of as adult-targeted content from a very young age and think this is what helps with my analytic and dissecting traits, so I do think that there are those children who would be able to read these types of books.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

Probably not appropriate to be given out by the school library, but on their own time? Sure. It's not like buying a book at the bookstore has the same hell no quality as buying liquor at the store. I feel that kids know a lot more than we give them credit for, and as long as we guide them along it's fine.

Return to “"Paper Towns" by John Green”