Book or Movie?

Discuss the April 2015 book of the month, "Paper Towns" by John Green.
kileiah
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kileiah.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Book or Movie?

Post by kileiah »

P_hernandez wrote:I loved the book. The book spoke to me based on the clues and all the scavenger hunts around the town. And the poetry. And the fact that driving them in their quest was the threat of death. I was disappointed in the movie when the focus was taken off of the possibility of an impending death and placed more on growing up around this vacancy left by someone else's choices. John greens wit and excellent writing carried through from the book to the movie, though, and the characters never wavered from page to screen. It was a good movie, just not what I expected.
I really like what you said about the difference between the focuses of the movie and the book. It's true that the fear for Margo's life almost went unmentioned in the movies, whereas it was a constant pressure in the book. I will definitely keep this in mind when I read the book again.

That said, I enjoyed the movie a lot as I thought the casting was done terrifically. When I watch a movie based on a book, I don't want it to be an exact translation onto the screen, as that's simply impossible. I think seeing a different medium explore different aspects of a story is a valuable reason to adapt a book in the first place. There were moments that more time could have been spent on, like the treasure hunting bits, but I think overall the spirit of the book was captured pretty well.
kanganvohra10
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanganvohra10.html

Post by kanganvohra10 »

After seeing Paper Towns the movie, I was actually pleased because the director tried his best to focus on the details of the novel. Of course, the novel is far better than the movie, which is the case most of the time. But I think the movie was quite good as well.
chensea
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by chensea »

There was some twists in the movie that are not in the book. But, both is okay.
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by shish_by_design »

movie. all the way. Cara delevigne's a great actor.best scene? where she and the narrator prank cara's boyfriend when he's having sex with one of her close friends.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

No doubt that the movie is very good and producers have done a great job but, will still go for the book. There are many interesting things in the book that were not covered in the movie.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
naynag96
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naynag96.html
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles

Post by naynag96 »

I didn't read the book . I honestly didn't know there was a book , but the movie wasn't that bad , it had elements of suspense , and it kept me wondering . it's only down fall was the end. I am yet to read the book , but I don't think anyone should be discouraged to watch the movie , it is an experience
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles
George Sparrow
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 51

Post by George Sparrow »

As in most cases, I would say the book is a better choice. It is just that John Green's writing style leaves a lot to the imagination of the reader and that in itself is golden.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I'm sorry, but I couldn't finish the movie...or the book. I keep seeing the same characters from his earlier books, like they were just re-named and placed in a different setting. The movie didn't really capture my interest either.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

The book, obviously. The movie didn't quite capture what the book was all about. There's no sense of dread where to find Margo. The acting's a bit dry too.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
ameliaalvarezx
Currently Reading: the life of our lord
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by ameliaalvarezx »

Books are always better than the movies, because you have freedom of imagination. But the movie was really well executed, and I especially loved Lacey in the film. ~xo
S_Mulla
Currently Reading: Tarnished
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-mulla.html
Latest Review: A Good Boy by Anthony Andre

Post by S_Mulla »

I really enjoyed the movie but feel deflated and asking more questions than getting answers. What happened to Margo?
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

I definitely liked the book better. The characters were more developed, and there's this charm about books that always makes them better.
AnnaKathleen
Currently Reading: Kill Them All
Bookshelf Size: 1085
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by AnnaKathleen »

I watched the movie before I read the book, and then watched the movie again lol. I'm not usually a contemporary reading fan and when I was younger I just assumed John Green was over-hyped. I know, I know. Awful. I loved the movie the first time I watched it. I read the book and I was just as happy, if not more. After watching the movie a second time I couldn't find anything to dampened how happy I was with it. Little things changed here and there but, overall, it was pretty true to the book and I was content with the adaptation.
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

There's not much different between the book and the film. Overall, the film was a rather faithful adaptation. I liked both book and film so it's really a tie for me.
Crazybud
Favorite Author: Amy Zhang
Currently Reading: Shiver
Bookshelf Size: 1237
fav_author_id: 19621

Post by Crazybud »

The only thing disappointing with the movie was the lack of actual adventures, including the one at Seaworld. I understand how it must have been difficult to include it in the movie. Otherwise the movie was really good and the lead actors really fit into their roles.
"I'd rather die on an adventure, than live standing still"
- Delilah Bard, A Darker Shade of Magic

Return to “"Paper Towns" by John Green”