Did you like the ending? (Spoilers)

Discuss the April 2015 book of the month, "Paper Towns" by John Green.
fari30
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Re: Did you like the ending? (Spoilers)

Post by fari30 »

While I would not have minded a sad or open ending, the ending for Paper Towns didn't really feel like an ending at all to me. It felt like the story arc reached the climax and just... stayed there. It was very abrupt, I feel, and wasn't very appropriate for the novel.
My weekend is all booked!
abbiebann
Currently Reading: Girl, Interrupted
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiebann.html

Post by abbiebann »

I appreciate that the ending does not conform to the YA stereotype and we are left with questions but that's how all of Green's books end: Augustus dies but we never find out if Hazel does in TFIOS, Alaska dies but we don't learn if it was accidental or intentional in LFA and Lindsey breaks up with Colin but we don't know where he ends up going in AAOK. I just feel that the ending could have been written differently or better. Margo is rebellious and an enigma so I was expecting her to do the unexpected and for Quentin to let her go because he never successfully stood up to her, maybe he should have gotten the girl...
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

I have so many conflicting feelings about this ending! I thought that it was realistic and raw, but at the same time I was so disappointed and it felt like everything had been built up to give me nothing in the end.
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa »

The ending was kind of annoying at first because it felt like his whole trip was just a waste. The more I considered it, I began to like the ending more and more. It's something different and I can appreciate that. It didn't end in the cliche guy and girl get together and are happy forever.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera
chensea
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by chensea »

No. HAHAHAHA it was different than what I have read in the book.
Megan Old
Bookshelf Size: 56

Post by Megan Old »

No. It's like the whole roadtrip, which is a vital part of the plot, and the worrying about her and the mystery of tracking her etc etc was USELESS. They get there after risking and sacrificing so much (their grad, their friendship, the party) and when they get there, margo was all, "hi ya, imma live here so u go back to where u came from. toodles." it was annoying! imagine the guy's heartbreak. i mean he even went against his friends and chose margo. and all he get is that.
Martymindy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Martymindy »

Here's the thing, as humans we spend eternity searching endlessly for heartbreak, yet we do not know it. As a book-worm, sometimes we find ourselves looking for happy endings and searching for endless possibilities, i find myself desiring for more than just lust. We find ourselves looking for the cute little actions that commonly occur in an ideal love life in the books. A simple note being passed, the girl catching the guy staring at her, the two 'coincidentally meeting' in the middle of nowhere or at a social event and ending up spending the night together, not touching lips but touching hearts.
We find ourselves looking for a connection, a bond between two people that can never be broken, even if they're not together, even if they're apart, they still think about one another, constantly remembering little things, like his favourite fruit, her dreams.
In Paper Towns, Margo is portrayed as mysterious, while Quentin is shown as determined and hopeful. Quentin represents a majority of humanity, while Margo represents the truth. Paper Towns shows us that as much as we may imagine the future, as much as we may hope for the future to be endlessly joyful, we may end up being disappointed in the end. But we always enjoy the journey that we encounter on our way to the truth.
It depends on how positive you are as a person, i always think of it as the ending of a chapter, and the beginning of a new one. Some chapters in life are quite despicable, and some are quite euphoric, it's a matter of balance. I am not only saying this as a book-worm, but as a person that believes.
ShelbyBeatty
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelbybeatty.html

Post by ShelbyBeatty »

I love John Green but was so disappointed with this ending. They were sooo perfect together. I did like it because it didn't end the way you typically see contemporary books ending but I feel as though the book was pointless. I was so excited for them to find each other and reconnect but was sadly let down.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

The ending is so different from what I expected. But I particularly did not like it.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I definitely felt a certain level of disappointment. To go on that adventure to find her and then just leave again was unbelievable. I hope to go on some sort of adventure in my life but hopefully with a good ending.
atonykamau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atonykamau.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by atonykamau »

I found the ending to be a complete disappointment and I the author could have done better.
AnnaKathleen
Currently Reading: Kill Them All
Bookshelf Size: 1085
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by AnnaKathleen »

I was so annoyed at the ending. I couldn't believe that it was so bland and lackluster. They had traveled so far, made that journey and for what? She doesn't want to go back? They just leave? However, I came to a point afterwards where I thought. Maybe that's the point. Margo constantly points out that life needs adventure, needs journeys and that you never really know the people or places around you. You think you do, you fall into perceptions and take them as truth. The ending reinforced that idea. They made the journey, they got to know one another and themselves better. It was never about whether or not he got the girl, it was about how far was he willing to go on the adventure to find her. For all of them, it was about the journey. I think that made me appreciate it more. Now, I think it would have been a letdown if he had gotten the girl. As a reader, I immediately assumed he would get the girl and took it for granted. I went on autopilot and made assumptions. I think it called attention to my own lack of awareness with life. Life isn't always happy endings, but it's full of adventures and journeys, both good and bad. That's just my opinion though. :D
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury
AnnaKathleen
Currently Reading: Kill Them All
Bookshelf Size: 1085
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by AnnaKathleen »

Martymindy wrote: 27 Jun 2017, 18:25 Here's the thing, as humans we spend eternity searching endlessly for heartbreak, yet we do not know it. As a book-worm, sometimes we find ourselves looking for happy endings and searching for endless possibilities, i find myself desiring for more than just lust. We find ourselves looking for the cute little actions that commonly occur in an ideal love life in the books. A simple note being passed, the girl catching the guy staring at her, the two 'coincidentally meeting' in the middle of nowhere or at a social event and ending up spending the night together, not touching lips but touching hearts.
We find ourselves looking for a connection, a bond between two people that can never be broken, even if they're not together, even if they're apart, they still think about one another, constantly remembering little things, like his favourite fruit, her dreams.
In Paper Towns, Margo is portrayed as mysterious, while Quentin is shown as determined and hopeful. Quentin represents a majority of humanity, while Margo represents the truth. Paper Towns shows us that as much as we may imagine the future, as much as we may hope for the future to be endlessly joyful, we may end up being disappointed in the end. But we always enjoy the journey that we encounter on our way to the truth.
It depends on how positive you are as a person, i always think of it as the ending of a chapter, and the beginning of a new one. Some chapters in life are quite despicable, and some are quite euphoric, it's a matter of balance. I am not only saying this as a book-worm, but as a person that believes.
I absolutely love your thoughts and could not agree more! :)
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

After I ended the book, I was like- 'Really? Did it have to happen that way?' A most profound moment turned out not to be that profound after all. The enigma of a girl turned out not so enigmatic in the end. But then again, are John Green's works ever predictable? Admittedly, I have not read many of his books, but even for those I have read, I don't seem able to grasp what is really happening. It feels like the story will never follow the way the reader might like it to go, it will follow it's own course, like it or not!
FilmStar
Currently Reading: Rich and Pretty
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-filmstar.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by FilmStar »

I didn't like this one. I get it was trying to be realistic but in a way not so realistic. Where would she live by herself in that paper town? So she doesn't graduate high school? And she doesn't want a career or husband so what does she expect to do? Just read and think? Good luck with that. Q could do better.

Return to “"Paper Towns" by John Green”