Did you like the ending? (Spoilers)

Discuss the April 2015 book of the month, "Paper Towns" by John Green.
19barsav
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-19barsav.html

Icon Did you like the ending? (Spoilers)

Post by 19barsav »

In most books, the girl gets the boy or vice versa.

This book ended in a lie. :shock:

The guy found the girl and then left. I felt honestly lied to. :liar: We went on the trip of a life time with Green's character just to have it all fall on our faces.

But the truth of it is is that I loved every second if it. Did you?
mortalinstruments
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mortalinstruments »

Honestly, I was like wtf. He just found her and she was like: "OH Pudge! WEIRD SEEING YOU HERE." Then he is just confused because she is so chill about just wanting to up and leave her life.
19barsav
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-19barsav.html

Post by 19barsav »

mortalinstruments wrote:Honestly, I was like wtf. He just found her and she was like: "OH Pudge! WEIRD SEEING YOU HERE." Then he is just confused because she is so chill about just wanting to up and leave her life.
Ikr! It was ANNOYING.
zjones99
Favorite Author: John Green
Currently Reading: Binge
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zjones99.html
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by zjones99 »

I loved the ending! It is so different and I don't think anyone saw that coming, which is really what an ending is supposed to be! There are lots of people though that hated the book. My brother is an example, he through the book at the wall when he finished it. :lol:
hannahbm13
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 920">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Currently Reading: Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahbm13.html
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz

Post by hannahbm13 »

I loved the ending. It was original and it surprised me! It made everything so much more enjoyable to me. I, too, loved every minute of it :)
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

It's certainly understandable to be as upset as the characters at Margo's reaction to them finding her. But at the same time, it's refreshing for an ending to be a twist. Perfectly happy endings get boring after a while. Bittersweet is a nice balance.
The Book Reviewer
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24175">The Knife of Never Letting Go</a>
Currently Reading: The Humans
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-book-reviewer.html
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by The Book Reviewer »

I wasn't that keen on the ending, yet was totally engrossed at the same time. I didn't like how they just 'got together', like the predictable ending of every book: the geeky boy gets the popular girl (or the other way around). I wasn't expecting John Green to have such a foreseeable ending to his book...
jess16books

Post by jess16books »

Honestly, the lead up to the end of the book was boring, I thought it was stupid that he only just found her and they were going separate ways anyway. :oops: :oops:
Mdoucet1086
Currently Reading: Wonder Woman
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mdoucet1086.html
Latest Review: "The Ultimate Guide to Zombies" by Dave Robertson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mdoucet1086 »

I think the ending was surprisingly realistic. When in love, especially new or young love, sometimes you get blinded by your idea of the person and fail to see the person themselves. You get so wrapped up in what could be that you fail to see what is. I feel like Q does this a lot through out the novel in regards to Margo. It was nice to have a book end without romance, nice reminder that there is more to life. That being said, I do wish we could have gotten some kind of epilogue seeing Q and Margo as college students. I'd like to think they worked on their friendship. Did anyone see the movie?
Latest Review: "The Ultimate Guide to Zombies" by Dave Robertson
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Good point. Although I would have liked a happy ending, I agree that the way it ended was very realistic. Margo was a complex, odd person and I just couldn't see her ending up with Q. I feel she used him and was very self-centered. For me, the best part of the story was the male trio of friends.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:Good point. Although I would have liked a happy ending, I agree that the way it ended was very realistic. Margo was a complex, odd person and I just couldn't see her ending up with Q. I feel she used him and was very self-centered. For me, the best part of the story was the male trio of friends.
I agree.

I found the story weak in general, but the end kind of fit the story.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
arayimassuoh
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arayimassuoh.html

Post by arayimassuoh »

I almost cried at the ending. But i guess john green likes playing with out emotions! Like, have you read tfios? But i kind of liked the twist at the end, definitely was not expecting that!
Looking4mattie

Post by Looking4mattie »

I adore John Green. Paper Towns is an incredible adventure. The ending, in my opinion, was perfect. We so often build up these false perceptions of people in our minds, that we fail to see that the imperfections are where we relate and what make someone real. When we hold up a perfect ideal we are usually disappointed. It's not Margo's responsibility to be the girl that Q believes her to be. It also isn't Q's responsibility to do everything Margo expects of him. We learn right alongside him on this epic road trip, that we have to leave our comfort zones to grow as people. Margo pushed Q to grow and realize his potential even though she hasn't realized her own.
TangledinText
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfix-blog.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by TangledinText »

I hated it but I appreciated the change the author threw his neck out for.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Morgan_Malone
Currently Reading: Queen of Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-malone.html
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine

Post by Morgan_Malone »

Honestly the ending was extremely anticlimactic for me. I mean they missed graduation to go on this crazy road trip to track down this girl. Then they get there and it's kind of like "oh you want to stay here even though we just drove like endless hours to come get you? Ok, whatever." Then they just leave, what even was the point?! :x
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine

Return to “"Paper Towns" by John Green”