Did you like the ending? (Spoilers)

Discuss the April 2015 book of the month, "Paper Towns" by John Green.
alaska_friend
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Did you like the ending? (Spoilers)

Post by alaska_friend »

I was incredibly disappointed with how it ended. Granted, it was very much JG's style where the boy and girl don't end up together and we are left wanting more but I felt like the end was just so sudden. Was he on a deadline that he couldn't give us something better? I don't think this was one of his better works. I did like the movie though, I felt like it was well done and gave us more emotion while also highlighting the supporting characters who I felt like deserved a bigger part in the book. I understand why they didn't but if they weren't a big part why did they go all that way to help find her? I don't know. I'm just confused why it felt like a rambling mystery with no real storyline...
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

I loved the ending. It was unpredictable and interesting and made me like the book.
reecemychael

Post by reecemychael »

The ending of Paper Towns broke my heart, not gonna lie. But thats because I'm a sjcker for a nice, happy ending romance. It was still an amazing book regardless! But the ending had me sad when he just left Margo after loving her pretty much his whole life...
tibazee

Post by tibazee »

I guess John wanted to be realistic but it would have been better if he took the story with the flow rather than to disrupt it at the end,would have been so much better if Margo wanted to be found.well,but it made the ending unpredictable and less like a fairytale.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

I absolutely loved the ending. It was just so fitting for the story- his whole life he had been chasing a dream of a girl he never knew, and the ending was like he finally woke up. His leaving her there was a symbol of him evolving as a person and chasing reality. Plus it was super unexpected and original, which is a bonus.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

Lied to? No, I don't think so. I think Green knew that's what we were expecting. Boy meets girl, falls in love, feelings are reciprocated and everyone gets a happy ending. Do we always get to be with our crushes in the end though? Also, Margo was trying to find herself. Would jumping in a relationship before she did that really have benefited her?
R Lawrence
Currently Reading: The Poppy War
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-lawrence.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by R Lawrence »

I thought the ending was really disappointing. It made the whole journey seem pointless.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

I loved that it wasn't a traditional HEA but it wasn't NOT a HEA either. It was more about what the characters learned (coming-of-age novels - there we go) than who ended up with whom. The journey, as opposed to the destination.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I don't think the ending was a "lie". I agree that it's actually more realistic.
I've heard similar stories from friends about their disappointment. After all the effort you exerted just to "save" the person of your interest, this person had the nerve to brush everything off as if nothing happened.

We cannot expect people to always appreciate the special treatment we give them. One possible reason is that they're oblivious to our affections.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

19barsav wrote: 19 Jul 2015, 19:35 In most books, the girl gets the boy or vice versa.

This book ended in a lie. :shock:

The guy found the girl and then left. I felt honestly lied to. :liar: We went on the trip of a life time with Green's character just to have it all fall on our faces.

But the truth of it is is that I loved every second if it. Did you?
I did too :lol2:.
The ending was certainly unexpected but it was the best way things could have ended for the characters.
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

From what I remember, she didn't even want to be found. I don't think she intentionally left behind clues for Quentin to find her. I remember being quite disappointed when reading the ending of this book. In my mind it wasn't the best book in the world to me, and the ending just irritated me more.
Krishi Shah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krishi-shah.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Krishi Shah »

I think about this ending a lot. And I feel like it teaches us a lot about counting on others too much to give our life meaning. Only we can do that.
Ashna_Tibrewal_7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashna-tibrewal-7.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Ashna_Tibrewal_7 »

No, like all John Green books, the ending leaves me crying and sad. But it is good because that is how reality is. It balances the reality an fiction.

Return to “"Paper Towns" by John Green”