Parents

Discuss the April 2015 book of the month, "Paper Towns" by John Green.
L_Therese
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 26
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1974
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: Dido: The Tragedy of a Woman by David Lane

Re: Parents

Post by L_Therese » 18 Nov 2015, 22:50

Ooh! A nature vs. nurture debate! It all comes down to whether or not Margo's penchant for running away comes from her innate character or was developed by outside influences. Really, it's impossible to determine, but this kind of debate is still always fascinating. Possibly, Quentin's parents would have been able to exert their knowledge and understanding to balance Margo's instinct to run and hide, or maybe they would have made her feel analyzed and trapped. I'd like to think an active and attentive parent can guide a child toward safe and constructive outlets, but even the best parents can't always reach a troubled child.

Taylor Razzani
2017 Reading Goal: 55
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 7
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The End in All Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: "My Life Before" by Terrell L. Frazier
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani » 24 Apr 2016, 12:24

hannahbm13 wrote:I think if Margo had Quentin's parents then there wouldn't have been any story to tell. This reminds me of the whole Nature vs. Nurture argument, and I am on the side of Nurture. I believe that a person's personality is based heavily on how they were raised.
Nature vs. Nurture is good argument to bring up. Personally, I don't know which side I fall down on, the hard thing about that is that it's hard to know how someone like Margo would turn out if she lived in a different household because you can't go back in time and change it. But if her parents were more invested in her and willing to talk to her about her behavior she might not have felt so alone.

gaporter
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 64
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by gaporter » 19 Jul 2017, 15:10

I think if Margo had Quentin's parents, she could have had a very different kind of story. Quentin's parents could have nurtured her personality so she would still have her natural energy and urge to just do things, but in a much less destructive and thoughtless manner.

Return to “"Paper Towns" by John Green”