Parents

Discuss the April 2015 book of the month, "Paper Towns" by John Green.
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Parents

Post by bluemel4 »

Margo and Quentin's parents both have a strong presence in the book. How would Margo's character be different if she had Quentin's parents?
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I kind of think that she wouldn't be nearly as interesting. Maybe she wouldn't have such an interest in leaving town because she wouldn't have such a good reason to get away. That's just me. I definitely think that parents play a big role in how a kid develops, personality-wise. Regardless of whether or not it's what they wanted to happen.
bluemel4

Post by bluemel4 »

I agree that there would not be as much drama/ mystery surrounding Margo if she had Quentin's parents. I thought it was interesting that Margo felt like she was living in a prison while Quentin's mother worked with teen inmates.

It also seemed like every time Margo's parents responded to one of her schemes, she needed to escalate the next plan to get past the restrictions her parents set. Having almost a domino effect. The more she tried to show her independence the more her parents locked down on her.
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

Quentin's parents are both in psychology, so maybe they could've had a different impact on Margo's personality. Margo's parents seem to have just given up on her. But Margo sort of didn't give them a choice either: she ran away a lot. And Margo is a person used to wearing masks, so maybe she never let her parents in enough for them to help her. Quentin's might have known how to handle someone like her. But do I think the impact would've been great? No, I think the body see saw made something snap inside of her. Traumatic childhood experiences tend to carry through way into adulthood. Even Q, with his parents being who they are and all, didn't come from the body incident completely unscathed.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
bluemel4

Post by bluemel4 »

@Leon Durham that is an interesting point. Margo was so traumatized by finding the dead body that she would ultimately be some version of herself no matter who her parents were.

We get to see how Quentin's parents handle the experience with Quentin. They sooth him and help him understand what he saw. We can only speculate how Margo's parents handled the event. But I did find it odd that so many people were willing to talk to a 9 year old about the problems the dead man had and what lead to his suicide. Margo needed to find the answers all by herself and sooth herself alone.
trabernathy29
Currently Reading: Cherry Lane
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trabernathy29.html
Latest Review: "The Wind in the Trees" by Christine Heffelfinger
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by trabernathy29 »

From the adult perspective, the parents of the teens could have been more engaged. I understand due to how John Green characterized them, the reason why they were not very involved. Some may say that’s typical of parents these days…in some aspects I agree. Parents just don’t seem that engaged in the activities of their children anymore.

The parents were still funny in their own rite. They thought the way psychologist think of their patients which makes me believe that they really didn't know Quentin at all. As for Margo's parents, I figured she had disappeared one too many times so they were just fed up. Ruthie (the baby sister) was a sweetheart though...wish she had a bigger part in the book.
Latest Review: "The Wind in the Trees" by Christine Heffelfinger
deah319
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 710">Pride and Prejudice</a>
Currently Reading: The Snow Child
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deah319.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by deah319 »

ALynnPowers wrote:I kind of think that she wouldn't be nearly as interesting. Maybe she wouldn't have such an interest in leaving town because she wouldn't have such a good reason to get away. That's just me. I definitely think that parents play a big role in how a kid develops, personality-wise. Regardless of whether or not it's what they wanted to happen.
I agree! There may not be a story to tell if Margo has Quentin's parents because she just might turn out to be a well-adjusted individual. But then again, teenagers are teenagers (it's their world and we're just living in it).
"It is what you read when you don't have to that determines who you will be when you can't help it" - Oscar Wilde
tiffanynettles
Favorite Author: Tami Hoad
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffanynettles.html
Latest Review: "Fate Reborn" by Christina OW

Post by tiffanynettles »

I do not think that any of the events in the book would have taken place if Margo's parents had been like Quentin's. Instead of just up and skipping town, I think that she would have felt more emotionally stable and accepted in her home. Therefor, even if she still wanted to leave town and experience the world I think she would simply have talked to her parents and explained how she felt and what her plans were. There would not have been a big mystery as to where she went.
Latest Review: "Fate Reborn" by Christina OW
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Leon Durham wrote:Quentin's parents are both in psychology, so maybe they could've had a different impact on Margo's personality. Margo's parents seem to have just given up on her. But Margo sort of didn't give them a choice either: she ran away a lot. And Margo is a person used to wearing masks, so maybe she never let her parents in enough for them to help her. Quentin's might have known how to handle someone like her. But do I think the impact would've been great? No, I think the body see saw made something snap inside of her. Traumatic childhood experiences tend to carry through way into adulthood. Even Q, with his parents being who they are and all, didn't come from the body incident completely unscathed.
I like this point. And I'm sure that as a child when finding the dead body happened, the way the parents handled the situation was different. Quentin mentioned something about kind of being traumatized by the event but Margo handled it better than he did and was more fascinated by it... but maybe his own reaction was the "proper" one and Margo's was what ultimately led to her behavior years down the road.

Okay, now I am just rambling and not making sense in attempts to make myself sound intelligent. 8)
Duende Knocking
Favorite Author: Albert Camus
Currently Reading: Too lazy to update this every day
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duende-knocking.html
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
fav_author_id: 2688

Post by Duende Knocking »

tiffanynettles wrote:I do not think that any of the events in the book would have taken place if Margo's parents had been like Quentin's. Instead of just up and skipping town, I think that she would have felt more emotionally stable and accepted in her home. Therefor, even if she still wanted to leave town and experience the world I think she would simply have talked to her parents and explained how she felt and what her plans were. There would not have been a big mystery as to where she went.
This, exactly.

Her living situation wasn't one that I would wish on anyone, but it served its purpose for the story. If she had felt more comfortable at home, the story definitely would not have gone the way it did!
"Everything is a dangerous drug except reality, which is unendurable."
- Cyril Connolly
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

I think in order for the story to be what is was - she had to have that set of parents. She wouldn't have been nearly the same character and wouldn't have had the same motives if her parents had been different.
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I think Margo would have lead a much happier life. She wouldn't have felt so alone in her own home and she probably would have had better friends as well. Then again, if Quentin had Margo's parents, then he might have ended up feeling alone in the world and the character's personalities would have been reversed.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
hannahbm13
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 920">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Currently Reading: Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahbm13.html
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz

Post by hannahbm13 »

I think if Margo had Quentin's parents then there wouldn't have been any story to tell. This reminds me of the whole Nature vs. Nurture argument, and I am on the side of Nurture. I believe that a person's personality is based heavily on how they were raised.
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz
The Book Reviewer
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24175">The Knife of Never Letting Go</a>
Currently Reading: The Humans
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-book-reviewer.html
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by The Book Reviewer »

Margo may have turned out differently, perhaps more self-assured and would feel less of a need to be different, rather than simply be happy.
TangledinText
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfix-blog.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by TangledinText »

It would make for a boring book because he would remian with the same personality but instead of being smothered with love would have more distant parents but still remain a quiet kid. Margo though she might go crazy with his parents because if she ran away she'd actually be punished, grounded, and possibly not be the popular kid anymore. She wouldn't have as much freedom and she wouldn't be in search for love or purpose in my opinion.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Return to “"Paper Towns" by John Green”