Did Margo Succeed?

Discuss the April 2015 book of the month, "Paper Towns" by John Green.
MelissaPage09
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissapage09.html

Re: Did Margo Succeed?

Post by MelissaPage09 » 30 Aug 2015, 23:25

I enjoyed this book very much. I do think she succeeded in her own mind. I also believe Margo stated that Quinten did become more of the guy she wrote about in her 4th grade story. In all actuality though, I personally don't think he did. I think it changed him, but he was still the caring, somewhat cautious guy he was in the beginning of the book just slightly more adventurous.

Taylor Razzani
2017 Reading Goal: 55
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 7
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The End in All Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: "My Life Before" by Terrell L. Frazier
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani » 24 Apr 2016, 12:41

I agree that he changed in some way. Maybe he was a little more assertive and adventurous, but he was still the same in a lot of ways. I feel like if she had truly succeeded, Quentin would have went to New York City with her, instead of going back to the life he knew.

Shelle
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 28
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle » 24 Apr 2016, 15:57

Ashley3255 wrote:I honestly think Margo did nothing but take advantage of him. Sure, she did make Quentin become a more free-spirited, careless person, but she got him so caught up in her that she caused him to chase her half-way across the states. He risked so many things for her, only to find out that it wasn't even worth it. She made him believe she cared for him, when in reality, I believe she just wanted attention. I didn't really like Margo, I'm sorry. XD
Thank you for saying this! I didn't really like Margo either and could never understand the mystique surrounding her. I thought she was quite selfish and immature and fed off the drama she created. I think Quentin became braver and more sure of himself because of his own actions, not because of the hoops she made him jump through.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor

Taylor Razzani
2017 Reading Goal: 55
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 7
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The End in All Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: "My Life Before" by Terrell L. Frazier
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani » 25 Apr 2016, 15:20

I'm not a fan of her either, reading Ashley3255 and Shelle's posts just made me even more mad at her. He almost died for crying out loud! And she didn't even want to be found.

DeeMariaR
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deemariar.html

Post by DeeMariaR » 10 May 2016, 10:04

I think Margo feels like she succeeded but it was all for nothing because the Q from the 4th grade isn't the Q of "now". So she changed him into someone she wanted him to be and still didn't want to be with him.

gaporter
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 64
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Nourish by Heidi Schauster, MS, RD, CEDRD-S
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by gaporter » 19 Jul 2017, 11:53

amybo82 wrote:I don't know that she made Q braver and freer. She definitely made him a little crazy. But to me, it seems that she just caused Q to move from being trapped in one way to being trapped in her web. He got so caught up in her that he ignored all the other things in his life--friends, prom, graduation, parents. I think I was really annoyed at how selfish Margo was in the end. However, I did like the mystery and the trying to figure things out. But to answer your question, I think Margo thinks she succeeded, but as the reader, I don't think she succeeded.

I agree that he went from being "trapped" in one way to being trapped in her web. However, by the very end when he knows that they will go on in different directions, I think he is free. I think a great part of this is due to the poem he read so carefully, though, and not 100% because of Margo taking him on her joyride around town. Also, I think it is very presumptuous of her to try to "fix" him in the first place; who is to say that there was anything wrong with his personality in the beginning? And she assumed that only way he could be "fixed" was by taking him out of his bed and making him do these illegal activities with her at night. She was manipulative and selfish, in my opinion, but she did ultimately achieve her goal (as callous as her goal might have been).

Return to “"Paper Towns" by John Green”