Margo's revenge

Discuss the April 2015 book of the month, "Paper Towns" by John Green.
erasmus
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erasmus.html
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
Reading Device: B00GQDBS7O

Re: Margo's revenge

Post by erasmus »

While everyone might feel vindictive once in a while, and though we know it's wrong, we act on it anyway. Margo, I think, took things a little too far sometimes. The first thing I thought she took too far was involving Quentin in her acts of revenge. The second was that she broke laws (not that it's right because you didn't break the law), and did I mention how she dragged someone else into it?

I can't say I understand Margo, I guess one lesson we can take away from her revenge is that it's never easy, and you'll almost always drag someone down with you.
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
TheMusicalMuse
Favorite Author: Victor Hugo
Currently Reading: The Druid's Curse
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themusicalmuse.html
Latest Review: "Trespassers" by Todd and Tim Wynn
fav_author_id: 3006

Post by TheMusicalMuse »

I wonder if Margo would have gone to the extent that she did with her revenge scheming if she hadn't also wanted to use it as a way to "jump-start" Quentin. I agree with most of you that her actions went to the extreme: fun to read about, but cringe-worthy in the context of real life.

I also agree that reading about Margo's revenge biased me against her. I find it ironic that she called Quentin childish for his lack of experience when her actions were the epitome of childishness. But I feel like her actions were in keeping with her character. For her, the idea of taking something too far didn't exist. As someone who relates more to a Quentin-like lifestyle, I was fascinated by Margo's revenge, even while being put off by her extremity.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Lovely_Loreley
Favorite Author: Donita K. Paul
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 776">Light of the Oracle</a>
Currently Reading: The Blue Fairy Book
Bookshelf Size: 370
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovely-loreley.html
Latest Review: "Vanished in Berlin" by Gry Finsnes
Reading Device: B00UB76290
fav_author_id: 13786

Post by Lovely_Loreley »

Having been friends with people who are at times extremely vengeful and childish, I kind of understood where Margo was coming from. Did she take it too far? Yes. Did she understand that? Probably not. When you think your opinion and your life is what matters most (or should matter most) to everyone else, people get hurt and things go too far, but at the time it almost always seems right. I can't help but imagine how we would all feel about Margo if we experienced the story from her point of view...
TheMusicalMuse

Post by TheMusicalMuse »

I've been in Margo's situation--or something very similar--before, where someone I loved went behind my back and hurt me. I'll be honest; I had visions of revenge that would make a convict blush. But I've never been brave enough to act on them. Or maybe it isn't brave to act out your revenge. Perhaps the real bravery comes when you acknowledge your desire for revenge but hold back because it won't solve the problem and will ultimately end in more hurt for you and others.

I think Margo acted out what many of us are feeling but not willing to act upon. It's why so many people have been both disgusted by and drawn to her: we are disgusted in others by that which we dislike in ourselves, and we are drawn to others who have similar feelings and thought processes as we do.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Lovely_Loreley
Favorite Author: Donita K. Paul
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 776">Light of the Oracle</a>
Currently Reading: The Blue Fairy Book
Bookshelf Size: 370
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovely-loreley.html
Reading Device: B00UB76290
fav_author_id: 13786

Post by Lovely_Loreley »

TheMusicalMuse wrote: I think Margo acted out what many of us are feeling but not willing to act upon. It's why so many people have been both disgusted by and drawn to her: we are disgusted in others by that which we dislike in ourselves, and we are drawn to others who have similar feelings and thought processes as we do.
True. Her lack of boundaries is what makes her such a compelling character. I think we are drawn in by the idea of giving in to those desires once in a while, but would much prefer to see it happen on the page than in our own lives.
erasmus

Post by erasmus »

Lovely_Loreley wrote:
TheMusicalMuse wrote: I think Margo acted out what many of us are feeling but not willing to act upon. It's why so many people have been both disgusted by and drawn to her: we are disgusted in others by that which we dislike in ourselves, and we are drawn to others who have similar feelings and thought processes as we do.
True. Her lack of boundaries is what makes her such a compelling character. I think we are drawn in by the idea of giving in to those desires once in a while, but would much prefer to see it happen on the page than in our own lives.
While I understand the points you guys were making and agree with some of them, I'm not sure about being drawn to or disgusted by Margo. I was pretty apathetic about her as a character; I was only appalled by her actions, which I thought to be too much.

I also agree that Margo's lack of boundaries make her an interesting character, but - on an unrelated note - I am really curious how until far Quentin would have followed her. Where would his boundaries end?
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
TheMusicalMuse

Post by TheMusicalMuse »

erasmus wrote:
I also agree that Margo's lack of boundaries make her an interesting character, but - on an unrelated note - I am really curious how until far Quentin would have followed her. Where would his boundaries end?
I think if Quentin was going to let his boundaries stop him, it would've been earlier in the night, either when his pulse skyrocketed the first time or when he pulled the van over and tried to talk Margo out of breaking into Sea World. The later the night ran and the more time he spent with Margo, the less inhibited he became.
― Charles William Eliot
Low Shin-Ji
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-low-shin-ji.html

Post by Low Shin-Ji »

Her ideas of revenge often leave you picturing a diabolical genius but when looked at retrospect, is incredible devious. I think the way John Green portrayed Margo was to create this ideal girl that guys always look for. In the eyes of many, Q, she is perfect.
erasmus

Post by erasmus »

I'm kind of reluctant to call Margo's ideas 'genius' or 'devious'... It can be argued, in my opinion, that it's childish and even unrealistic. Perhaps it's just that my life's boring, but do people really pull off what Margo did?

Also, it might be that I'm not a guy, but I really don't see how a vindictive girl like Margo can be an ideal one.
Momlovesbooks
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

I feel that Margo is a selfish person. She views life
only through her own perspective and doesn't try to
see other people as individuals with their own feelings. I think, in a way, how Margo and Quentin reacted when they found the dead body as children, foreshadows their relationship in the future. Margo took steps forward, while Quentin stepped back. I think this shows her lack of "normal" conventions and her need to be in charge and leading the situation. Quentin steps back, as if to shield himself and stay out of the spotlight. Even Margo's later acts of revenge are carried out with her need to let people know she is in control (the spray painting of the letter "M").
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

I just recently reread Paper Towns, and the more I think about it, the more I think Margo takes it too far. She does a lot of illegal things to get back at those who hurt her, but I still want her to be better than someone who destroys property. Although, getting back at her cheating ex boyfriend is gold. I guess I'm still up in the air about how I feel about Margo in general.
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I didn't find Margo's character to be very appealing. Although a couple of the characters may have deserved her revenge, I do think there was a better way to go about it. Lacey, on the other hand, was a character that did not deserve her revenge. She was innocent, even though she did have her faults. I think Margo was just trying to run away from her feelings though instead of just telling people how she felt. I know that Margo was afraid of being sucked back into her old group of friends, but there are always ways to make new friends. She should have just stood up to her old friends and hung out with Quinton, or gone to college and make new friends. There are always ways to deal with problems without committing crimes.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
hannahbm13
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 920">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Currently Reading: Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahbm13.html
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz

Post by hannahbm13 »

I loved reading about all of that. It was a total overreaction, but it was hilarious and intriguing. Although it was all incredibly childish, it did make her feel better. Maybe. Personally, I would never take an act of revenge so far as to break the law. If anything would have gone wrong she could have gotten into so much trouble! It wouldn't have been worth it for me, but then again, I don't see anybody writing books about me :)
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz
zjones99
Favorite Author: John Green
Currently Reading: Binge
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zjones99.html
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by zjones99 »

For the book, It was HILARIOUS. If this happened in real life though, most things would probably have gotten her and Quentin caught. Breaking into houses and spray painting the walls are two examples.
The Book Reviewer
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24175">The Knife of Never Letting Go</a>
Currently Reading: The Humans
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-book-reviewer.html
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by The Book Reviewer »

I thought it was too much, but the revenge made for an eventful and entertaining couple of chapters.

Return to “"Paper Towns" by John Green”