Margo's revenge

Discuss the April 2015 book of the month, "Paper Towns" by John Green.
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Re: Margo's revenge

Post by Genaaa »

She definitely may have taken it a little too far with some of the vandalizing and breaking in because of it being illegal. In the end though, she got her revenge and the majority of them got what they deserved.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by gaporter »

I think Margo took it way, way too far. I think it's further proof that she believes herself the center of the world. People hurt her, and so they must be absolutely punished. A mature person with some humility would understand that this happens in life, and the best revenge is living well afterwards. Revenge on a cheating boyfriend is hard to resist, but Chuck, while he obviously had his faults, was punished just for the fun of it. Including Quentin in the scheme also feeds into her arrogance by implicating a person with no real connection to the situation. They could have gotten in some serious trouble; she was risking his future for her own selfishness. I don't understand how the cops weren't getting involved. Margo was spray painting her initials and breaking windows and vandalizing cars. The possible repercussions for her and Quentin (he could get kicked out college and have a criminal record!) were inconsequential when compared to thought that some people might get away unscathed after hurting her, Margo Roth Speigelmen, the center of the universe.
Doaa Wael
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doaa-wael.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Doaa Wael »

I think it was fun to watch as i support anything that has healthy levels of insanity, but if I put myself in her place, i don't think i would do anything like that. I understand she needed closure but revenge doesn't always serve its purpose. it can cause the person to be angry rather than guilty which doesn't provide the revenge with the satisfaction they sought revenge for in the first place.
Imagination Trumps Reality.
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
BookishCoffeeBlog
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcoffeeblog.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by BookishCoffeeBlog »

Personally, I never think people should take revenge because it never works out as well as people hope. However, I think the series of scenes involving Margo's revenge lent themselves well to the story. I think it fits in with the tone and mood that the story created for the reader and it is accurate for a character like Margo. She would be the type of person to enact revenge like she does.
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

Margo's revenge seems to adventurous and funny. I completely loved it too much.
Gigareads
Favorite Author: Morgan Matson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gigareads.html
Latest Review: The Dream Keepers by Linda Keen
fav_author_id: 4123

Post by Gigareads »

I thought Margo's revenge was funny and entertaining. But if it were to happen in real life then I would think she took it too far.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

Margo was selfish. Margo acted like she was doing Quentin a favor, but it was really self-serving. I thought Margo was self-centered and childish.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

I loved the thought and effort that went into the results, and the humor that came with these scenes was also great. However, I think that the length she took things with Lacey was selfish, and some of the action scenes were a bit extra. Overall, I found the revenge amusing, but do think that she did have a tendency to go too far.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

All Margo's acts of revenge had a karmic edge to it. They were basically her lashing out because she felt hurt by the people she was closest to, namely Becca and Jase. Maybe she shouldn't have taken it as far as she did but it portrayed the depth of feeling she was probably experiencing and in some cases weren't really what she was planning to do, as in the case of her reacting to the security alarms at Jase's house and throwing the fish through the window.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

Margo's revenge has this puerile element, which is what makes it so funny. Instead of shrugging off her hurt and going about her day, she dishes it out among the people that hurt her, which is understandable. None of her schemes really had this permanent effect on anyone (in terms of damages) but was memorable, so I think that's what made all the illegal stuff she did kinda okay.
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

It was all quite fun to read and the experience changed Q in many ways. But I think it was a bit excessive. She could have dealt with everything in a different way. But, Margo was Margo. She did what she felt she had to and that's kind of what made her character unique.
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
Krishi Shah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krishi-shah.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Krishi Shah »

I don't think it was morally okay, but it represented Margo quite well as a character. Also, it was hilarious.

Return to “"Paper Towns" by John Green”