Margo's Hideaways

Discuss the April 2015 book of the month, "Paper Towns" by John Green.
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Margo's Hideaways

Post by bluemel4 »

While reading Paper Town's I noticed a correlation between the state of the building Margo inhabited and where Margo's state of mind was while she stayed in them. The buildings were also an interesting way for Quentin to go inside of Margo's brain and try to understand her.

For example, Margo complares her house to a prision. This is where she is the most paper version of Margo. She has very little of herself there except the surprising record collection and is the place she is most eager to leave behind. The next Margo building, the Osprey, was a condemed mini mall in a pseudovision. No one can enter through the front but the back has an access point that looks locked. Once inside there is barely anything left behind but the things no one wants. There are holes in the roof where you can see the stars. This is the place Margo spends most of her time. She considers herself in this building as the part time Paper Margo and makes most of her intricate plans there. The building is still prision like but is showing signs of breaking down. It is also where Quentin gets his first view of Margo as someone other than his idealized version of her. The last building, a barn, in Agloe is the most open and easy to get into. She even has a plexiglass office she created on one side of the Barn. This is the place Margo can be closest to her true self and even is extremely honest while there.

Do you agree that the buildings and their conditions are a statement of where Margo is in her personal journey of self discovery? Did you see the buildings symbolizing something else?
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

I can't believe I haven't noticed this before. If this was the author's initial intention, then wow, he did a brilliant job! Thanks for mentioning this. I'm dumbfounded. Margo's choice of buildings is actually just like her state of being at the time. Her last choice, Algoe's General Store, is all alone and forgotten in the paper town Algoe, just like Margo. It is on a wide piece of open land. And it is here where Margo finally opens up and reveals her true self to Q. Thanks again for bringing this up!
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
melbuhtoast
Favorite Book: The Great Gatsby
Currently Reading: The Goldfinch
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melbuhtoast.html
Latest Review: "Angry Enough to Kill" by S.J. Dunn

Post by melbuhtoast »

bluemel4 wrote:While reading Paper Town's I noticed a correlation between the state of the building Margo inhabited and where Margo's state of mind was while she stayed in them. The buildings were also an interesting way for Quentin to go inside of Margo's brain and try to understand her.

For example, Margo complares her house to a prision. This is where she is the most paper version of Margo. She has very little of herself there except the surprising record collection and is the place she is most eager to leave behind. The next Margo building, the Osprey, was a condemed mini mall in a pseudovision. No one can enter through the front but the back has an access point that looks locked. Once inside there is barely anything left behind but the things no one wants. There are holes in the roof where you can see the stars. This is the place Margo spends most of her time. She considers herself in this building as the part time Paper Margo and makes most of her intricate plans there. The building is still prision like but is showing signs of breaking down. It is also where Quentin gets his first view of Margo as someone other than his idealized version of her. The last building, a barn, in Agloe is the most open and easy to get into. She even has a plexiglass office she created on one side of the Barn. This is the place Margo can be closest to her true self and even is extremely honest while there.

Do you agree that the buildings and their conditions are a statement of where Margo is in her personal journey of self discovery? Did you see the buildings symbolizing something else?
This is SUCH a great connection. I didn't make the connection until you mentioned it, but I do think this was the author's intention.

I can definitely see her parents house as a prison, a place she wants to flee, escape from, and be free.
Latest Review: "Angry Enough to Kill" by S.J. Dunn
bluemel4

Post by bluemel4 »

Thanks guys. I think I only realized it because I was taking such careful notes. I kept noticing cracks in the buildings and cracks in people's surfaces or facades.
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

I like this connection! It gives another layer to the book.
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
Christinar81
Favorite Author: Too hard to pick one
Currently Reading: Barracuda
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinar81.html
Latest Review: "Revelations From the Past" by Lori J Gordon

Post by Christinar81 »

Wow that's a great connection. I never picked up on that while I was reading. Now that you pointed it out, it makes a lot of sense to me. Maybe I need to start taking notes as I read. You made me realize I could be missing things. Thank you.
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”
― Mae West
Latest Review: "Revelations From the Past" by Lori J Gordon
bluemel4

Post by bluemel4 »

@Christinar81 :D
trabernathy29
Currently Reading: Cherry Lane
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trabernathy29.html
Latest Review: "The Wind in the Trees" by Christine Heffelfinger
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by trabernathy29 »

I thought the buildings did represent Margo but in a sense that she felt no one really knew her. It seems that everyone had an idea of who they thought Margo was from her outer appearance, the same thing happened upon arriving at the pseudovisions. It's like judging a book by its cover. It wasn't until Q went inside those places and actually explored and saw things through Margo's eyes that he began to understand that the really didn't know Margo either. I believe Q having access to Margo's room, her records, and the Whitman book gave him the chance to stop and really understand how Margo's thought process worked. She was not just any girl, she was very thought-provoking. Nothing was as it seemed. You may have thought of things in one way, but there was always a totally different meaning to things in Margo's brain. For example, her use of random capitalization of words. She thought that the traditional way was rather boring and and too conformed. Margo herself was sort of a free spirit in the sense that she made a plan and went with it, going anywhere of her choosing (Mississippi and New York). Margo didn't conform to anyone's rules...just marched to her own drum.
Latest Review: "The Wind in the Trees" by Christine Heffelfinger
deah319
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 710">Pride and Prejudice</a>
Currently Reading: The Snow Child
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deah319.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by deah319 »

I agree, the hideaways represent Margo's state of mind during her stay there. I would love to know if that was the author's intention while he was writing it. I've read an interview with him where he mentioned that he likes to let his readers take what they can from his stories.

I think that her school is another hideaway since nobody pays much attention to her at home. She managed to create this persona that other people can idolize. The only problem is that image isn't really her thus finding the need to breakaway and start anew.
"It is what you read when you don't have to that determines who you will be when you can't help it" - Oscar Wilde
tiffanynettles
Favorite Author: Tami Hoad
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffanynettles.html
Latest Review: "Fate Reborn" by Christina OW

Post by tiffanynettles »

I did not notice this correlation at all, but now that you have brought it up it makes perfect sense. If the author actually did that on purpose then he deserves more credit then I have been giving him. I had just assumed that the building were just where she happened to end up on her journey to finding out where she truly belong.
Latest Review: "Fate Reborn" by Christina OW
Lovely_Loreley
Favorite Author: Donita K. Paul
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 776">Light of the Oracle</a>
Currently Reading: The Blue Fairy Book
Bookshelf Size: 370
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovely-loreley.html
Latest Review: "Vanished in Berlin" by Gry Finsnes
Reading Device: B00UB76290
fav_author_id: 13786

Post by Lovely_Loreley »

Wow! I think this is a brilliant connection. When I was reading the book I felt like the buildings were symbolic, but in a slightly different way. Margo's home was a place where people expected things of her, and where she had to be what they wanted to be. So I treated the school as a place where she could be anything else, where she could control what people thought of her. And when that wasn't enough, she found the abandoned mini mall and used it as a sort of haven where she could just be herself. It was her sanctuary, in the sense that she didn't have to pretend to be something she wasn't.

I always thought the barn in Agloe was the most significant, because at some point, being alone and being herself weren't enough for Margo. Maybe she didn't like who she was or regretted things she did, but she felt the need to get away. To Margo, Agloe was the place where she could grow into whoever she wanted to be. People didn't know her or have expectations, so she could control her image like at school. But she could also be herself, in this place where people hadn't yet passed judgment on who she was or what she had done. Agloe kind of took the best aspects of other places she had been.

I like this connection that settings correlated to Margo's state of mind. When I think about the mini mall, I think of how broken Margo must have felt...but then, Agloe for her would have been more than just a place of openness and honesty; it was a place of healing and new beginnings!
Latest Review: "Vanished in Berlin" by Gry Finsnes
chumki_pattanayak
Currently Reading: The Shadows in the Street
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chumki-pattanayak.html

Post by chumki_pattanayak »

I saw the connections. the more Q read and reread the poem the more he understands Margo. the way she thinks. why she is the way she is. The places Margo stayed in are symbolic of her state of mind. When she was at home she was a different Margo, the way her parents would like her. But once outside she is a different person altogether. while exploring abandoned places, whether alone or with people like Gus... she was exploring her true spirit.
I love the part about strings. . we all feel a responsibility a guilt feeling or a burden until we have the strings attached to a place or person. once all strings severed you feel lighter, liberated.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I never would have guessed that. I suppose I can see your point though. Margo seemed to be a very interesting person who seems to feel many different emotions. So I guess I can understand why she want want to choose places that would express her emotions.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
hannahbm13
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 920">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Currently Reading: Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahbm13.html
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz

Post by hannahbm13 »

Wow, I really never noticed any of that. What brilliant symbolism! John Green sure is a master of storytelling.
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz
The Book Reviewer
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24175">The Knife of Never Letting Go</a>
Currently Reading: The Humans
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-book-reviewer.html
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by The Book Reviewer »

That's a great conclusion and one I hadn't thought of before! I agree that the buildings could be symbols for Margo's state of mind, but maybe this is over-analysing? Perhaps the buildings were purely atmospheric.

Return to “"Paper Towns" by John Green”