Funniest moments in Paper Towns

Discuss the April 2015 book of the month, "Paper Towns" by John Green.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Funniest moments in Paper Towns

Post by ALynnPowers »

I always read during my long commute on the Tokyo metro train/subway system, and I found that I embarrassed myself multiple times while reading this book due to suddenly laughing out loud as I was reading.

These are the most notable times I was guilty of causing lots of stares on the trains, thanks to my burst of LOLing:
"The world's largest collection of black Santas." [Every. Single. Time.]

"It's a penis in the same sense that Rhode Island is a state: it may have an illustrious history, but it sure isn't big."

Radar half raised his hand. I dutifully called on him. "Yes, I was wondering if it would be possible for you to write sestina about Margo Roth Spiegleman's breasts? Your six words are: pink, round, firmness, succulent, supple, and pillowy." "Personally," Ben said, "I think at least one of the words should be buhbuhbuhbuh."

And pretty much anytime Ben opened his mouth to speak.

So what about you honeybunnies? What were your favorite funny moments?
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

I have three favorites. The first, is when Ben creates his beer sword and with flawless drunken logic glues the beer sword to his hand so no one can steal it.

The second, is when Radar keeps reminding the car about how they almost died and then Ben saved their lives. All the while Ben shouting I did not do it for anyone I was trying to save myself.

The third, is when Ben needed to pee in the first 3 hours of the car ride and he finally get to pee in the beer bottles. Then 35 mintes later says he has to pee again. So funny.

I have to say there were a lot more humorous moments thrown in to this novel. From the witty banter of Ben, Radar, and Quentin to the naked run away picture of Jase. The book kept a heavy subject light with it's true to life funny moments.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

My funniest moment would have to be in the first part of the book when Margo Roth Spiegelman gets Q to tag along with her on her night of vengeance. It was pretty hilarious to picture ladies' man Jason Worthington scurrying across the lawn with his miniscule "object" sticking out the top of his boxers. Then Q goes ahead and takes a picture. Poor JW...
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
melbuhtoast
Favorite Book: The Great Gatsby
Currently Reading: The Goldfinch
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melbuhtoast.html
Latest Review: "Angry Enough to Kill" by S.J. Dunn

Post by melbuhtoast »

Anytime they mentioned Radar's parents and their collection of Black Santas I would lose it. I think part of it stems from the fact that my parents also have a huge collection of Christmas decorations they put up every holiday season, and just imagining everything as Black Santas instead is just hilarious.

I also loved the entire part when Margo and Q are working through her revenge plot. Not only was it fun, but absolutely had me in stitches!
Latest Review: "Angry Enough to Kill" by S.J. Dunn
Stevefromtheblock
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevefromtheblock.html
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol

Post by Stevefromtheblock »

This sounds really funny! Now I want to read this book!
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

bluemel4 wrote:I have three favorites. The first, is when Ben creates his beer sword and with flawless drunken logic glues the beer sword to his hand so no one can steal it.

The second, is when Radar keeps reminding the car about how they almost died and then Ben saved their lives. All the while Ben shouting I did not do it for anyone I was trying to save myself.

The third, is when Ben needed to pee in the first 3 hours of the car ride and he finally get to pee in the beer bottles. Then 35 mintes later says he has to pee again. So funny.

I have to say there were a lot more humorous moments thrown in to this novel. From the witty banter of Ben, Radar, and Quentin to the naked run away picture of Jase. The book kept a heavy subject light with it's true to life funny moments.
All additional LOL moments. I forgot about the beer can sword!

That makes me laugh all over again.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Some of my favorites:
John Green wrote:Those of us who frequent the band room have long suspected that Becca maintains her lovely figure by eating nothing but the souls of kittens and the dreams of impoverished children.
John Green wrote:There were a thousand shops on International Drive, and they all sold the same exact thing: crap.
John Green wrote:RHAPAW rannot on gasoline, but on the inexhaustible fuel of human hope.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

I loved the RHAPAW! Plus it ran on hope. :P That part made me giggle.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Here are a few of my favorites:

"If I am ever told that I have one day to live, I will head straight for the hallowed halls of Winter Park High School, where a day has been know to last a thousand years." (my absolute favorite!)

"I think that's why she never worried about me - as long as I wasn't ritually decapitating gerbils or urinating on my face, she figured I was a success."

"You have to write me a term paper on the look and feel of Margo Roth Spiegelman's breasts. Thirty pages, minimum!" (Ben)
"I want you to do a photo-realistic pencil drawing," Radar said.
"A sculpture would also be acceptable," Ben added.

The collection of black Santas was beyond awesome! I am a Santa collector and I should display them all year. I love that Radar's parents kept them around the house year-round, even in the bathrooms. :) For me, this wasn't really funny, although completely fabulous. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Deee
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 18984">The Two Towers</a>
Currently Reading: Second Foundation
Bookshelf Size: 1417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deee.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Deee »

There were so many funny moments, especially between Quentin, Ben, and Radar.

I found hilarity through Ben and his beer sword.

I also could not stop laughing at the mention of the black Santa collection because it's ridiculous.

I almost passed out laughing picturing Jason running down a suburban street with his junk out to get away from an angry father.
"But to find out the truth about how dreams die, one should never take the word of the dreamer."

Toni Morrison, The Bluest Eye.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

For me the funniest moment was when Quentin finally got his own car...and it's a minivan.
trabernathy29
Currently Reading: Cherry Lane
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trabernathy29.html
Latest Review: "The Wind in the Trees" by Christine Heffelfinger
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by trabernathy29 »

From the very beginning of the book I thought the pranks or revenge Margo planned were hilarious. To just imagine how she came up with the plot and reading how it all actually played out was genius. The whole act of getting her boyfriend in the middle of his tryst with her supposed "bestie" was the best. I like the fact that she thought of everything, from putting the club on the car to alerting her friends parents, taking the boyfriends clothes and having him stand outside naked. That in itself was hilarious.

Ben seemed to be a very fun loving person. He was sometimes selfish but you can't deny that he had a lot of fun and imagination. The fact that he referred to potential girlfriends and "honeybunnies" was cute. His crush on Q's mom making her a honeybunny was funny because you don't want your friend looking at your mom in that way. Saying it out loud may be worse because it makes you have to think of her in that way.

Being African-American myself, the fact that Radar's parents collected Black Santa's was really unusual. I can understand his apprehension of inviting his girlfriend over. I must say that I thought was funny with Radar is on the road trip where he had on a shirt with a Confederate flag on it. That was just wrong on all kinds of levels....but funny!
Latest Review: "The Wind in the Trees" by Christine Heffelfinger
deah319
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 710">Pride and Prejudice</a>
Currently Reading: The Snow Child
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deah319.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by deah319 »

You are all correct! All those mentioned above were hilarious but if I have to rate them, the world's largest collection of black Santas wins the prize. I already raved about it on another thread. All the peeing scenes tie for second place. At the after prom party and then later on Ben's dilemma en route to New York. RHAPHAW is definitely on the top three.
"It is what you read when you don't have to that determines who you will be when you can't help it" - Oscar Wilde
CloudedRune
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloudedrune.html
Latest Review: "Why is the moon following us?" by Mar&iacute;a Escobedo Cubas

Post by CloudedRune »

I haven't finished reading the book yet (trying to avoid seeing spoilers currently, I'll be back to read about everyone's favourite moments properly soon :D) but so far my favourite funny part was Margo's "I'm the new queen of vocabulary! I've usurped you!"
Latest Review: "Why is the moon following us?" by Mar&iacute;a Escobedo Cubas
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Mine were the beer sword and the beer bottles part.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “"Paper Towns" by John Green”