Jaw-Droppers

Discuss the April 2015 book of the month, "Paper Towns" by John Green.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Re: Jaw-Droppers

Post by ashley_claire »

I agree the most shocking part was Margo not wanting to be found. Why go to the trouble of leaving a few clues then?
erasmus
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erasmus.html
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
Reading Device: B00GQDBS7O

Post by erasmus »

ashley_claire wrote:I agree the most shocking part was Margo not wanting to be found. Why go to the trouble of leaving a few clues then?
While I agree that it was shocking that she - Margo - didn't want to be found, she didn't deliberately leave the clues to be found either.
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

Not all of them, but she did intentionally leave a few.
erasmus

Post by erasmus »

ashley_claire wrote:Not all of them, but she did intentionally leave a few.
Maybe. I mean, it's pretty intentional to leave something Inside someone else's door. I don't think Margo wanted to be found though. Unless we're talking about a subconscious thing...
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
andimignanelli
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... gelfall</a>
Currently Reading: Looking for Alaska
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andimignanelli.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by andimignanelli »

For me this book had a lot of jaw-droppers. But yeah, the cow was one of the big ones because it was such an intense scene and the way they handle it, during and after it happend, was perfect.
The black santas collection was epic!
I had such a great time reading this book. The first stop at the gas station was hilarious! I was laughing like crazy when they had to run back to the van with nothing under their gowns.
And the fact that Margo didn't want to be found and Q actually accepted it was amazing, it shows that we have to respect other's people decisions, even if it hurts.
Lovely_Loreley
Favorite Author: Donita K. Paul
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 776">Light of the Oracle</a>
Currently Reading: The Blue Fairy Book
Bookshelf Size: 370
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovely-loreley.html
Latest Review: "Vanished in Berlin" by Gry Finsnes
Reading Device: B00UB76290
fav_author_id: 13786

Post by Lovely_Loreley »

andimignanelli wrote:And the fact that Margo didn't want to be found and Q actually accepted it was amazing, it shows that we have to respect other's people decisions, even if it hurts.
I agree! I think it shows just how much Q grew during the story, that after all the trouble he went to to find her and all the time he spent sick with worry about her, he could just accept that she wouldn't be coming back with them. Beautiful.
Latest Review: "Vanished in Berlin" by Gry Finsnes
Mjelmer
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mjelmer.html

Post by Mjelmer »

I agree...the fact that she didn't want to be found got me....totally unexpected
kstockard
Currently Reading: The World at Night
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kstockard.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by kstockard »

I agree with those who say the most jaw-dropping part was the end when Margo was surprised she was found. I was expecting her to be dead, or something else, but not in an old barn very much alive. I was just shocked. Honestly, I expected John Green to do something different.
erasmus

Post by erasmus »

kstockard wrote:I agree with those who say the most jaw-dropping part was the end when Margo was surprised she was found. I was expecting her to be dead, or something else, but not in an old barn very much alive. I was just shocked. Honestly, I expected John Green to do something different.
Doesn't the fact that we didn't expect Margo to be found - alive - or that she'd be surprised to be found say a lot about whether John Green did something different?
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

Christinar81 wrote:Spoiler Alert!!!

The most jaw dropping part for me was the end when they find Margo. That fact that she was shocked and wanted to know how they found her. She hadn't even left all the clues for them on purpose. She didn't want to be found, but Q and his friends did an amazing job figuring it out for themselves.

That ending really threw me off. I was expecting her to be dead or about to kill herself. The fact that she didn't even know they were coming to find her, shocked me.

I was really surprised Margo really did not think they would find her or that they were looking for her. I had just finished reading Gone Girl, so I has so many theories going on in my head. That being said, I really didn't see Margo being alive and clueless coming.
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

Quentin almost hitting the cow was rather surprising. I didn't find too many surprising moments in this books though. I was mostly confused. I figured that Margo might be dead or didn't want to be found. Yet Quentin keeps searching for Margo without even realizing what the search is about. He just doesn't want things to change, and he doesn't want to say goodbye to what he has known since he was little. This little journey was just about Quentin saying goodbye than it was about saying Margo. In my opinion, he needed to move on and let things change instead of being stuck in the same routine all the time.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
hannahbm13
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 920">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Currently Reading: Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahbm13.html
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz

Post by hannahbm13 »

I have to agree with everybody saying that the most jaw dropping part was the fact that Margo didn't want to be found. Are you kidding me? She left so many clues, why would she not want to be found?!! That baffled me so much.
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz
The Book Reviewer
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24175">The Knife of Never Letting Go</a>
Currently Reading: The Humans
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-book-reviewer.html
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by The Book Reviewer »

When (spoiler alert), Q and the gang almost crashed the car into the cow.
TangledinText
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfix-blog.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by TangledinText »

SPOILER:

The awkward face-off an ending made my jaw drop. She ended up not running away for attention but for herself and had to interest in returning and wondered why they had come. It pissed me off but was definitely unexpected.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
VinuW
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinuw.html
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
fav_author_id: 782

Post by VinuW »

Christinar81 wrote:Spoiler Alert!!!

The most jaw dropping part for me was the end when they find Margo. That fact that she was shocked and wanted to know how they found her. She hadn't even left all the clues for them on purpose. She didn't want to be found, but Q and his friends did an amazing job figuring it out for themselves.
I agree! It was disappointing, but shocking.
“He who jumps may fall, but he may also fly. It’s time to jump.” Lauren Oliver, Requiem
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi

Return to “"Paper Towns" by John Green”