Jaw-Droppers

Discuss the April 2015 book of the month, "Paper Towns" by John Green.
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Jaw-Droppers

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

Somehow the universe has intervened. Or did Ben secretly have a magic genie not even John Green knew about? I don't know. But what I do know is that there was absolutely no way I could've predicted that Ben aka Mr. ITWASAKIDNEYINFECTION) would end up with Lacey as his prom date. How about you? What made your jaw drop? This, or something else?
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Spoiler alert:
When they had the almost wreck with the cow while driving and Ben saved the day because Q panicked. I almost had a heart attack. But it was awesome.

And then the follow up, "Hey, remember that time when we almost hit that cow..." back and forth they went on with for a while had me in stitches laughing, though my heart was still pounding from the adrenaline rush.
melbuhtoast
Favorite Book: The Great Gatsby
Currently Reading: The Goldfinch
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melbuhtoast.html
Latest Review: "Angry Enough to Kill" by S.J. Dunn

Post by melbuhtoast »

ALynnPowers wrote:Spoiler alert:
When they had the almost wreck with the cow while driving and Ben saved the day because Q panicked. I almost had a heart attack. But it was awesome.

And then the follow up, "Hey, remember that time when we almost hit that cow..." back and forth they went on with for a while had me in stitches laughing, though my heart was still pounding from the adrenaline rush.
I am with you on that one. My heart was POUNDING after they almost hit that cow! I actually felt like I was in the car with them.
Latest Review: "Angry Enough to Kill" by S.J. Dunn
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

For me the most jaw dropping thing was how utterly clueless Quentin is about what his search for Margo is really about. Part of him was avoiding having to say goodbye to his routine, his life, and his childhood. He went on a wild chase to find Margo to the point of ignoring his friends and family. It was easier to solve the puzzle then actually face what the last days of H.S. really meant. I wanted to smack him!
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Ashley3255
Currently Reading: wild
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley3255.html

Post by Ashley3255 »

bluemel4 wrote:For me the most jaw dropping thing was how utterly clueless Quentin is about what his search for Margo is really about. Part of him was avoiding having to say goodbye to his routine, his life, and his childhood. He went on a wild chase to find Margo to the point of ignoring his friends and family. It was easier to solve the puzzle then actually face what the last days of H.S. really meant. I wanted to smack him!
I felt the exact same way! I was so mad at him for that. I feel like him doing all of that was for nothing.
Christinar81
Favorite Author: Too hard to pick one
Currently Reading: Barracuda
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinar81.html
Latest Review: "Revelations From the Past" by Lori J Gordon

Post by Christinar81 »

Spoiler Alert!!!

The most jaw dropping part for me was the end when they find Margo. That fact that she was shocked and wanted to know how they found her. She hadn't even left all the clues for them on purpose. She didn't want to be found, but Q and his friends did an amazing job figuring it out for themselves.

That ending really threw me off. I was expecting her to be dead or about to kill herself. The fact that she didn't even know they were coming to find her, shocked me.
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”
― Mae West
Latest Review: "Revelations From the Past" by Lori J Gordon
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Christinar81 wrote:Spoiler Alert!!!

The most jaw dropping part for me was the end when they find Margo. That fact that she was shocked and wanted to know how they found her. She hadn't even left all the clues for them on purpose. She didn't want to be found, but Q and his friends did an amazing job figuring it out for themselves.

That ending really threw me off. I was expecting her to be dead or about to kill herself. The fact that she didn't even know they were coming to find her, shocked me.
I thought Margo was going to be found dead until Quentin found the post about Agloe with Margo's signature capitalization. I was a little shocked that she was upset that they found her.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
trabernathy29
Currently Reading: Cherry Lane
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trabernathy29.html
Latest Review: "The Wind in the Trees" by Christine Heffelfinger
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by trabernathy29 »

Lol, Ben was pretty cool and yes, that was shocking that he ended up with Lacey. I think my jaw dropping moment was that they all actually showed up at graduation without clothes underneath their gowns. I think that would have been epic had they actually stayed. Their parent's may have blown a gasket but it would have definitely went down in history. I also couldn't believe how much of a trooper Lacey was; she followed the guys on most of their journey's.
Latest Review: "The Wind in the Trees" by Christine Heffelfinger
deah319
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 710">Pride and Prejudice</a>
Currently Reading: The Snow Child
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deah319.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by deah319 »

This may sound silly but the most shocking part for me was Radar's parents' collection of black Santas. The fact that they exist, that people collect them and that there's a Guiness Book of World Record for it. And I guess there's the cow. I'd say it's a tie.
"It is what you read when you don't have to that determines who you will be when you can't help it" - Oscar Wilde
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

The most jaw dropping part for me was that Margo didn't want to be found after all.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
erasmus
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erasmus.html
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
Reading Device: B00GQDBS7O

Post by erasmus »

gali wrote:The most jaw dropping part for me was that Margo didn't want to be found after all.
I totally agree. I mean, I was even prepared for the eventuality that Margo might be dead. I didn't expect that she herself didn't want to be found! Excellent twist, that.
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
HoneyB
Currently Reading: The Law of Moses
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeyb.html
Latest Review: "The Whisper of Time" by Ute Carbone

Post by HoneyB »

Christinar81 wrote:Spoiler Alert!!!

Yep, I agree with you! Not that I wanted her to die or anything. I thought what you thought, or that she may have been fighting something deeper in her home life (causing it to shape her outlook, like physical abuse), but she was just self-centered and a careless teenager.
A book is a device to ignite the imagination.
~Alan Bennett
erasmus

Post by erasmus »

HoneyB wrote:Yep, I agree with you! Not that I wanted her to die or anything. I thought what you thought, or that she may have been fighting something deeper in her home life (causing it to shape her outlook, like physical abuse), but she was just self-centered and a careless teenager.
It actually didn't cross my mind that she was being self-centered. However, now that you've said it, I realised that it's quite true. I also realised that it's the prerogative of teenagers to be self-centered. That's how they grow, right?
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
HoneyB
Currently Reading: The Law of Moses
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeyb.html

Post by HoneyB »

erasmus wrote:
HoneyB wrote:Yep, I agree with you! Not that I wanted her to die or anything. I thought what you thought, or that she may have been fighting something deeper in her home life (causing it to shape her outlook, like physical abuse), but she was just self-centered and a careless teenager.
It actually didn't cross my mind that she was being self-centered. However, now that you've said it, I realised that it's quite true. I also realised that it's the prerogative of teenagers to be self-centered. That's how they grow, right?
Self-discovery would be their prerogative. And perhaps I judged too quickly - I'd just finished reading when I posted and was a little disappointed with the ending because I thought there would be some larger issue or fate for Margo but she did use her influence at school to keep the bullies back, and that wasn't a selfish move.
A book is a device to ignite the imagination.
~Alan Bennett
erasmus

Post by erasmus »

HoneyB wrote:
erasmus wrote:
Self-discovery would be their prerogative. And perhaps I judged too quickly - I'd just finished reading when I posted and was a little disappointed with the ending because I thought there would be some larger issue or fate for Margo but she did use her influence at school to keep the bullies back, and that wasn't a selfish move.
Haha, self-discovery does sound much better than being self-centered. But yeah, I understand the thing about being disappointed with the ending. I guess that's also teenagers right? Thinking there's something bigger when sometimes it's just the way life is, that sometimes people just need to get away.

And I think I'll stop now. I'm not so good in the philosophical/metaphorical stuff.

Return to “"Paper Towns" by John Green”