Overall Rating and Opinion of "Paper Towns"

Discuss the April 2015 book of the month, "Paper Towns" by John Green.

How do you rate Paper Towns?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
3%
2 stars - fair, okay
16%
3 stars - good, recommend it
53%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
27%

Total votes: 91

reecemychael
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "Paper Towns"

Post by reecemychael »

Paper towns is an amazing book! I recommend it to everyone because it made me look at a lot of things from a dofferent perspective. I loved it!
leiabutler
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leiabutler.html
Latest Review: Britain Loves Baking - The Bakers Annual 2020 by Greg Wixted

Post by leiabutler »

I think it was a good book, but not very original. Very real though and a good read for young people.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

Paper Towns is absolutely fantastic as a novel. It was emotional and dramatic and realistic in its ending and I found it an incredible adventure. My only complaint is how the main characters lacked chemistry, and how there was no need to look for Margo and miss some of their last high school memories. I did, however, appreciate the real moments between the friends and their humorous banter. I would recommend this to anyone who is interested in a realistic fiction novel, and it is an enjoyable short read.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
lshaughn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reading Device: B071JNRK1V

Post by lshaughn »

I'm a pretty unbiased reader when it comes to John Green, this particular book had a very disappointing climax, compared to the intense exposition and the rest of the storyline which I found incredibly interesting. Overall I would rate this book 3/4 stars, because of the poor ending.
taylorferraro
Favorite Book: Artemis
Currently Reading: Helter Skelter
Bookshelf Size: 109

Post by taylorferraro »

I thought the book was very well written, I have always been a giant fan of John Green. I like how the book wasn't typical in its essence, and is very similar to John Green's other book Looking for Alaska in the way that it's a lot of mystery and clue seeking. But I definitely couldn't have guessed the ending, very different and unique. Overall, I was surprised that I liked the movie as well!
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

Paper Towns was a hilarious read. It shows that even the people you idolize have faults and it was interesting to learn about Quentin being swept out of his comfort zone. It's a coming-of-age novel that really explored the complexities of the teenage mind and experiences and has lovable characters (my fave - Ben) that have multi-dimensional aspects (Lacey and Margo).
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

I read this book quite some time ago but it was an enjoyable read. John Green's writing style was amazing. The book really hooks you in. I would definitely recommend it to teens.
draechlein
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by draechlein »

I really enjoy reading books like Paper Towns where most of the meaning that I got from it was in the last couple of chapters and on reflecting on the story as a whole. The last few chapters of the book reframe and reremember the rest of the story, and it makes you second-guess your interpretations of seemingly obvious events from early on. The book leaves space for, and often encourages, changing your opinions of the main characters and their values and their choices. I like this kind of story, as opposed to the kind where you're given a good guy and you just cheer for them no matter what (except for maybe one "moment of doubt").
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

Yup. If not for the hilarity present in 7/10 of the scenes, then for the fact that the boy does not, in fact, get the girl. I think it was an amazing book and people will love it because it does not technically focus on the HEA aspect so much as the journey.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Paper Towns is a good read for me, but I won't consider it my favorite.

I recommend this to those who love authors who frequently write about someone chasing a person he/she cares about in a story. Really, the theme of "chasing someone up to the ends of the world" is recurring in almost all John Green books, and that is why I confuse it with Looking for Alaska and Abundance of Katherines. Their overall theme is the same to me.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Hiru1998+
Currently Reading: The Hate U Give
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiru1998.html
Latest Review: Like My Mother Before Me by Naley Gonzalez

Post by Hiru1998+ »

I didn't like Papertowns as much as I loved The fault in our stars. I don't find a meaning in the story. Sometimes I feel all the fuss about it is just because The fault in our stars was a success. It definitely broke my heart into pieces but Papertowns had no effect in me. It was kind of long and dragging. No hate for John Green as I liked Will Grayson, Will Grayson and Looking for Alaska.
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

Paper Towns was a fun read for me (mostly). The book had plenty of humour and made me think about a lot of things. 3/4
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. This book was ok to me, but definitely not one of my favorites. It was an interesting adventure story, but not one that I will read again.
Krishi Shah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krishi-shah.html
Latest Review: Creative Destruction by Alastair Bowman

Post by Krishi Shah »

I absolutely adore this book and John Green. You laugh, you cry, you connect to the characters and yourself. A 5/5 experience.
Krishi Shah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krishi-shah.html
Latest Review: Creative Destruction by Alastair Bowman

Post by Krishi Shah »

I think this is a perfect coming-of-age story that everyone needs to experience.

Return to “"Paper Towns" by John Green”