Overall Rating and Opinion of "Paper Towns"

Discuss the April 2015 book of the month, "Paper Towns" by John Green.

How do you rate Paper Towns?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
3%
2 stars - fair, okay
16%
3 stars - good, recommend it
53%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
27%

Total votes: 92

Kritika
Currently Reading: Bossypants
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kritika.html

Icon Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "Paper Towns"

Post by Kritika »

I loved reading this book.
It was like my whole life in front of me. I certainly have similar philosophies and take on life.
Even wrote a blog post few weeks back.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

I really enjoyed reading this one. It made me feel a myriad of emotions.
whero
Currently Reading: The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whero.html
Latest Review: "The Maestro, The Magistrate & The Mathematician" by Tendai Huchu
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by whero »

In which John Green slays the manic pixie dream girl trope. I love John Green, I've watched his videos for a very long time, so I'm pretty much a fan of everything he does. But I also genuinely think he writes some of the greatest books of modern times. They simultaneously entertain and intrigue one, making think you about what you're reading while still being fun light(ish) reads. Makes me so happy to see them being read the world over and being made into (really quite fantastic) movies. They are stories that are very worth ones time.
Latest Review: "The Maestro, The Magistrate & The Mathematician" by Tendai Huchu
debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Post by debo9967 »

I enjoyed reading this one. The book was quite entertaining and at the same time it also very thought provoking.
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

I enjoy reading YA novels, but this is the first one by John Green that I've read. I thought it was funny, thought-provoking and mysterious. It had some deep moments that made me think about putting myself in someone else's position and seeing life through their eyes. I would recommend this as an intriguing book. I look forward to reading his other novels.
angelbeats1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelbeats1.html
Latest Review: Iran Before . . . by Dennis Briskin

Post by angelbeats1 »

I was so looking forward to reading this book. When I finally got my hands on it I read it in two days. I loved this book, it was really sweet! The characters were really relatable. This book was like an emotional roller coaster filled with ups, downs, twists, and turns. However, this book isn't my favourite book written by John Green. This book still made it to my list of favourite books though. I love John Green's writing style. It's funny, yet intense at the same time.
Katherine E Wall
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-e-wall.html
Latest Review: "Vietnam Memoirs: Part 1" by Don Bonsper

Post by Katherine E Wall »

I was disappointed by Paper Towns. Perhaps, I heard too much about it before reading it. I found the majority of the characters were flat, although occasionally, there were glimpses of other facets. Now, I must admit, I only finished three-quarters of the book. I just did not become invested enough in it to finish reading.
"We awaken the muse with the spirit of creativity. We entomb it with the ghoul of self-doubt."

That's right, I have a muse. It is spelled MusE. My writing is influenced by the interactions of people I meet - us and ME.
Latest Review: "Vietnam Memoirs: Part 1" by Don Bonsper
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I have not yet read Paper Towns. My sister did read it and she said that she didn't find it that great. Perhaps this is also because of the high expectations she has of John Green seeing that she loves his videos.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Duende Knocking
Favorite Author: Albert Camus
Currently Reading: Too lazy to update this every day
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duende-knocking.html
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
fav_author_id: 2688

Post by Duende Knocking »

Katherine E Wall wrote:I was disappointed by Paper Towns. Perhaps, I heard too much about it before reading it. I found the majority of the characters were flat, although occasionally, there were glimpses of other facets. Now, I must admit, I only finished three-quarters of the book. I just did not become invested enough in it to finish reading.
I had the same problem. I was unable to finish, so I won't be rating it. I struggled with caring about the characters. :(
"Everything is a dangerous drug except reality, which is unendurable."
- Cyril Connolly
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
Kradz325
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kradz325 »

Like a few of the other commentators on this forum, I was not very fond of the book. I found Margo to be too selfish and self-absorbed, and the fact that Q was so enthralled with her made me dislike him as well.

But even though I didn't care for the two main characters, I found some good lessons along the way. First, even though you may see and hear another person, you don't know them fully because you haven't had the same experiences they have had. Second, everybody has a face they show to the outside world, and it's probably not who they really are. And third, we generally all expect people NOT to be who they are - we expect them to be who we WANT them to be.
Thesaurus Rex
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thesaurus-rex.html

Post by Thesaurus Rex »

I liked the characters BECAUSE they were flawed, like real humans.
14aadams
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-14aadams.html

Post by 14aadams »

I would give Paper Towns 2 stars. It was just okay. It was an easy read that had good characters but the ending was a let down in my opinion. however the way the book had to have been thought out nut have taken a lot of skill, John Green is a very talented writer
JungHaeju
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-junghaeju.html

Post by JungHaeju »

John Green! You've done it again. Great book.
Mjelmer
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mjelmer.html

Post by Mjelmer »

I read this book before I became a member of this site. I really enjoy John Green as an author. He puts you right in the story where you can experience every emotion as if you were right there. His stories always holds my attention. I love his writing style!
EskimoPrincess
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 17650">The Selection</a>
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by EskimoPrincess »

I gave it 5 stars. It was tough to start, and tough to finish, but the middle had me in a tight hold. I loved the mysterious aspect of it that kept me turning the pages. I wanted to know where she was, and what the clues meant. I found myself going back in the book just to see if a part I'd read connected with anything I was currently reading. It was like an adventure. I can't wait to see the movie but if they change the ending...I swear I'll....do something. :P

Return to “"Paper Towns" by John Green”