Overall Rating and Opinion of "Paper Towns"

Discuss the April 2015 book of the month, "Paper Towns" by John Green.

How do you rate Paper Towns?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
3%
2 stars - fair, okay
16%
3 stars - good, recommend it
53%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
27%

Total votes: 91

Krishi Shah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krishi-shah.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "Paper Towns"

Post by Krishi Shah »

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. One of John Green's best works.
Khasheem
Currently Reading: Prince of Fools
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khasheem.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Khasheem »

The book was great! I was way too invested in the characters, and I was laughing and crying while reading it. I really enjoy John Green's writing style, and his boks always have a certain charm to them.
Ashna_Tibrewal_7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashna-tibrewal-7.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Ashna_Tibrewal_7 »

I will always rate a John Green book as four stars and recomend it. He is my favourite author and writes amazing amazing books. His stories are sad and happy. They are real to me. These stories are not just fiction but actually happen.
Amy A Drake
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-a-drake.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Amy A Drake »

Like all John Green books Paper Towns suffers from the writing style. It's juvenile while thinking its poetic in a way that makes adults cringe reading it. This is not necessarily bad, though. It really captures how teens and children think. It just means that adults won't really appreciate the book. When I read John Green in high school, it resonated with me. Reading passages again and this book, I find the writing to be juvenile. But I'm no longer the intended audience, which is okay. It was what I wanted to read as a teen, and that's a powerful thing to emulate as an author.
Sandra Dominguez Suarez
Currently Reading: A Walk Through the Grapes
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandra-dominguez-suarez.html
Latest Review: Women of Fire and Snow by Nati del Paso
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 3%

Post by Sandra Dominguez Suarez »

I really enjoyed reading this book, although I have to admit I read The fault in our stars first and I expected something similar, so maybe that's why I felt a little bit disappointed. This story was a bit too quirky for me and I wasn't really able to connect with any of the characters, mostly because everything felt ridiculously exaggerated. However, I do believe it was very well written and I enjoyed going along with the story. I liked following Quentin's story and seeing him stand up to the bullies, following his heart (even though I never quite understood his obsession with Margot), gaining confidence and growing into himself. It was an easy and enjoyable long weekend kind of read.

Return to “"Paper Towns" by John Green”