Promise

Use this forum to post poetry that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links. Only one poem per topic please.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Promise

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

Promise is a debt charged against honor,
Its worth dependent on integrity,
Reputation, the sum that is paid for,
Which may vouch for the debtor's purity;
As when lovers opt to pledge faithfulness,
Avowed themselves to mutual seclusion,
When hearts concerned profess exclusiveness,
Towards the sole object of their passion;
But a promise to be true incurs time,
The backdrop for its stage is the future,
Should it endure the span of a lifetime,
Life itself becomes its own adventure;
.......Then, when debtors renege and faith is lost,
.......Broken hearts chip in to shoulder the cost.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
BrittaniDJ
Currently Reading: The Heart Has Its Reasons
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittanidj.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by BrittaniDJ »

This is really well-written. The idea of promise being an economic transaction of ethics is upheld throughout the poem and I commend you for that. Sometimes, amateur poets lose their train of thought. I do not know you, so, I apologize if you are not an amateur poet and actually well-publicized. The last line is really giving me pause. Not because it doesn't work. I think it does, but I am having to think about how it works and what the importance of it is and to what degree it speaks in my own history and experience. I think a poem should leave people having to think a bit. Having to ponder and self-reflect. Self-reflection leads to the purest learning. So, honestly, beautiful job.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

BrittaniDJ wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 17:40 This is really well-written. The idea of promise being an economic transaction of ethics is upheld throughout the poem and I commend you for that. Sometimes, amateur poets lose their train of thought. I do not know you, so, I apologize if you are not an amateur poet and actually well-publicized. The last line is really giving me pause. Not because it doesn't work. I think it does, but I am having to think about how it works and what the importance of it is and to what degree it speaks in my own history and experience. I think a poem should leave people having to think a bit. Having to ponder and self-reflect. Self-reflection leads to the purest learning. So, honestly, beautiful job.
Well-written critique. I am an amateur poet, or not really a poet at all. How will anyone know that he is one? And how will anyone know that the others are? I am of the opinion that just having a poem does not guaranty that one is a poet. That is, granting that what one has written is really a poem. So that leaves us two problems: To discern if the written piece is a poem and if the writer is a poet. Disregard all I've said. I just want to thank you for coming by.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)

Return to “Creative Original Works: Poetry”