from a mother to her son

Use this forum to post poetry that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links. Only one poem per topic please.
Sweetp120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetp120.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

from a mother to her son

Post by Sweetp120 »

before I write out the poem I want to share some of the back story.This is the first poem I have wrote in years. I wrote this for my son Barrett Samuel Lee Sams who was born at 24 weeks and 3 days. We were not given any reason to why he was born premature, but I had many factors that could have contributed to his early arrival. I am a type 1 diabetic with polycystic ovarian syndrome, and I am O- needing the Rh shot during pregnancies. I was always told I couldn't have children or if I did they would always have problems, well so far the only real issue we have faced has been his sight, and a few small issues in his heart (so small that at this time the doctor is not concerned). He has been our miracle since the day we found out about his conception. On October 20, 2018, when I wrote this poem my son turned 9 months old, and I wanted to do something special for him. As everyday we have him is a very special gift. So without further ado, here goes:

From a mother to her son

There is no greater joy I've known
from being first a wife and now a mother.
Except the joy I find,
in watching you grow.

9 months ago today you proudly made your entrance
into this giant crazy world.
Although you came almost 4 months too early
I wouldn't trade it for anything.

How could my sweet baby boy
come from 1 pound 11 ounces
to 20 pounds or more now?

From monitors and machines
to needing no help to breathe.
And there is no more beeping tones
to tell me somethings wrong.

You struggle to crawl,
but you'd rather walk;
even though you don't have the balance
to stand unassisted.

You're health is almost perfect.
It's your sight we worry about most,
but the doctors you've had
have helped give us hope.

But all our fear and doubts
are wiped away,
with just one look
into your beautiful steel blue eyes.

Your smile is so bright,
but it's your laughter
that is contagious.
You melt our hearts.

In you, there is no hate,
only love.
In you, there is no anger or rage,
only happiness and peace.

Dear God, why can't you stay this small?
The answer I do not know,
but each day that I get to have and hold you
is a gift from above.

That's why I will tell you everyday,
"I Love You."
And I always will,
even with my dying breath I'll say,
" I Love You my Son,
from the very first moment until forever,
through all Eternity."

-And there it is the poem for my beautiful child. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed writing it for him.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

You pour your heart and soul out in that poem. If this were my son I'd get the poem artistically placed on a slab of wood or etched in metal and hang it on a conspicuous wall. Never mention it to you son as he is growing. Someday he will learn to read and he will continue to pass it hanging on the wall because it is just something that has always been there. And then one day, perhaps when he is an adolescent or a teenager, he will actually stop and read it - this plaque that he has obliviously passed a million times during his life - and what a beautiful moment it will be when the realization of what is written there is understood by him for the first time.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Sweetp120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetp120.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Sweetp120 »

DATo wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 17:15 You pour your heart and soul out in that poem. If this were my son I'd get the poem artistically placed on a slab of wood or etched in metal and hang it on a conspicuous wall. Never mention it to you son as he is growing. Someday he will learn to read and he will continue to pass it hanging on the wall because it is just something that has always been there. And then one day, perhaps when he is an adolescent or a teenager, he will actually stop and read it - this plaque that he has obliviously passed a million times during his life - and what a beautiful moment it will be when the realization of what is written there is understood by him for the first time.
Wow! Thank you. that means a lot to me. I will definitely share this idea with my husband and see what he thinks about the idea. Again thank you so much!
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

Sweetp120 wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 17:20
DATo wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 17:15 You pour your heart and soul out in that poem. If this were my son I'd get the poem artistically placed on a slab of wood or etched in metal and hang it on a conspicuous wall. Never mention it to you son as he is growing. Someday he will learn to read and he will continue to pass it hanging on the wall because it is just something that has always been there. And then one day, perhaps when he is an adolescent or a teenager, he will actually stop and read it - this plaque that he has obliviously passed a million times during his life - and what a beautiful moment it will be when the realization of what is written there is understood by him for the first time.
Wow! Thank you. that means a lot to me. I will definitely share this idea with my husband and see what he thinks about the idea. Again thank you so much!
You are most welcome and congratulations (belated) on becoming a mother!!! :tiphat:
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright

Return to “Creative Original Works: Poetry”