New Brockton Cotton

Use this forum to post poetry that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links. Only one poem per topic please.
Lgs1089
Favorite Book: The Buried Secrets of Peonies
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lgs1089.html
Latest Review: Long Distance Flyer, G-EBFO. ISBN 978-1-78222-456-3 by Kenneth T Ward
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Icon New Brockton Cotton

Post by Lgs1089 »

A father immersed
in waves of white.

Basking in a flocculent labyrinth
masked with sharp, brittle reminders.

Pricked by the browned, bolls of yesterday
He bleeds.

The wind tickles the whiskers of his chin,
guiding him to the swooshing snickers of his children.

The melody of yesterday fades.

He bleeds for today.
L.G. Stewart
"Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together." :wine:
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Your style is intriguing, but I don't feel like I understand the message.
Lgs1089
Favorite Book: The Buried Secrets of Peonies
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lgs1089.html
Latest Review: Long Distance Flyer, G-EBFO. ISBN 978-1-78222-456-3 by Kenneth T Ward
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Lgs1089 »

teacherjh wrote: 03 May 2018, 11:38 Your style is intriguing, but I don't feel like I understand the message.
I can give you a little insight. My Father lived in New Brockton, Alabama when he was younger. He had two severely alcoholic parents. He was beaten regularly and used to sleep in his car to get away. He's worked his entire life to do better by his children. When my Grandfather passed away, who eventually got sober, my Dad would take my little sister and me out to the cotton field in New Brockton, next to his grave. He didn't know that I watched him cry while speaking to paw-paw. He'd sniffle, wipe the tears from his eyes, and he'd look up at us running through the cotton field, and he'd smile. The cotton is white and fluffy on the outside, but if you're not careful, you'll get pricked. My father was pricked by life for a long time. His children altered his perception. He no longer cared about the past like he used to; he cared about our well-being.
L.G. Stewart
"Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together." :wine:
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Lgs1089 wrote: 11 May 2018, 16:04
teacherjh wrote: 03 May 2018, 11:38 Your style is intriguing, but I don't feel like I understand the message.
I can give you a little insight. My Father lived in New Brockton, Alabama when he was younger. He had two severely alcoholic parents. He was beaten regularly and used to sleep in his car to get away. He's worked his entire life to do better by his children. When my Grandfather passed away, who eventually got sober, my Dad would take my little sister and me out to the cotton field in New Brockton, next to his grave. He didn't know that I watched him cry while speaking to paw-paw. He'd sniffle, wipe the tears from his eyes, and he'd look up at us running through the cotton field, and he'd smile. The cotton is white and fluffy on the outside, but if you're not careful, you'll get pricked. My father was pricked by life for a long time. His children altered his perception. He no longer cared about the past like he used to; he cared about our well-being.
That is beautiful symbolism.
liftedbooks
Currently Reading: The Ansgar Treasury
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liftedbooks.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by liftedbooks »

This is a beautiful poem. Well done.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Lgs1089 wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 13:39 A father immersed
in waves of white.

Basking in a flocculent labyrinth
masked with sharp, brittle reminders.

Pricked by the browned, bolls of yesterday
He bleeds.

The wind tickles the whiskers of his chin,
guiding him to the swooshing snickers of his children.

The melody of yesterday fades.

He bleeds for today.
The title caught my attention right away. Are you writing about Alabama?

I love the first stanza. The imagery is beautiful!

In the second stanza, you're talking about a cotton field, but you are using stilted language that seems out of place.

Like the other person who posted, I don't understand your message. Are the children in his memory? Is that why he's bleeding? If so, why is he reminiscing in a cotton field?

I enjoyed this. Thank you for posting for all the world to see! Please accept all of these questions with the kindness I'm asking them with. You have a definite flair. Keep writing!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:

Return to “Creative Original Works: Poetry”