Wandering Off

Use this forum to post poetry that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links. Only one poem per topic please.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Wandering Off

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

Samwisekoop wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 12:17
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 03:05
Samwisekoop wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 11:42 Was it just me...or was the ending kinda funny?! Was it meant to be humorous? Either way, I really liked the whole thing. I especially liked the third stanza. Well done! May I ask what provoked this poem?
But you know, in a deeper sense, I intended for this poem to be a lampoon of poetry. In painting, after all the masterpieces of the masters, circa the Renaissance period, there arose in Europe a movement called "Dadaism" which is a painting style in total disregard of the painters' discipline. Imagine painting in contrast to the way Da Vinci or Michelangelo painted. To get the idea of what I meant, see the paintings of "Abstract" artists. Salvador Dali and Pablo Picasso were also along these lines of the heretical style of painting depicting scenes far removed from reality. And back to poetry. I wrote just ordinary prose and pass it off as poetry. See what I mean? That's why we have now free verse, and you will be appalled sometimes of seeing whole paragraphs of writing as poems. Alas, the rhymes are being killed, as a new style, or just failure to rhyme?
Oh! Okay, I get it. But, I still liked the prose-like writings you posted, even if they are different. It is refreshing to have lots of different kinds of poetry, just like there are many forms of art. Btw, what do you mean by the last question?
Forgive me, but I seem to be somewhat judgmental on that last question. I assumed that people developed free verse because they do not want to labor on finding the rhyming words. I was of the idea that works of the masters of poetry always rhymed. Lets just say it like this: We always think of a tower to be straight up, and vertical. Now, when somebody built the " Leaning Tower of Pisa" people hailed it as something new and avant-garde. But could you honestly reconcile in your mind that perhaps there was just something amiss in the construction -- and it was practically a failure in engineering. With that said, I might be credited with saying that free verse was a failure in rhyming. I wish I could say that.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Samwisekoop
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samwisekoop.html
Latest Review: Perfection and Other Illusive Things by J Mercer

Post by Samwisekoop »

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 18:42

But you know, in a deeper sense, I intended for this poem to be a lampoon of poetry. In painting, after all the masterpieces of the masters, circa the Renaissance period, there arose in Europe a movement called "Dadaism" which is a painting style in total disregard of the painters' discipline. Imagine painting in contrast to the way Da Vinci or Michelangelo painted. To get the idea of what I meant, see the paintings of "Abstract" artists. Salvador Dali and Pablo Picasso were also along these lines of the heretical style of painting depicting scenes far removed from reality. And back to poetry. I wrote just ordinary prose and pass it off as poetry. See what I mean? That's why we have now free verse, and you will be appalled sometimes of seeing whole paragraphs of writing as poems. Alas, the rhymes are being killed, as a new style, or just failure to rhyme?
Oh! Okay, I get it. But, I still liked the prose-like writings you posted, even if they are different. It is refreshing to have lots of different kinds of poetry, just like there are many forms of art. Btw, what do you mean by the last question?
Forgive me, but I seem to be somewhat judgmental on that last question. I assumed that people developed free verse because they do not want to labor on finding the rhyming words. I was of the idea that works of the masters of poetry always rhymed. Lets just say it like this: We always think of a tower to be straight up, and vertical. Now, when somebody built the " Leaning Tower of Pisa" people hailed it as something new and avant-garde. But could you honestly reconcile in your mind that perhaps there was just something amiss in the construction -- and it was practically a failure in engineering. With that said, I might be credited with saying that free verse was a failure in rhyming. I wish I could say that.
You didn't sound judgmental. I just misunderstood the composition of the last question. But, your reply holds wisdom! Thank you for clarifying!! :D
"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future." - Galadriel
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:

Radex316 wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 18:11 It has a great theme, but it lacks any real poetic edge. Perhaps it should have been more appropriate presenting this as an anecdote.
Well said, buddy. That was exactly my point. If you look around and see poems passed off as poetry as what I did, then my point is understood.

Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 18:42

I am glad I read this in the morning with an open mind 😂. The conversation here is awesome. I don't side with any of you but the thesis is valid.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Currently Reading:

I apologize for not having dignified with a reply your post Joseph. So here is assurance I enjoyed it.

Return to “Creative Original Works: Poetry”