St. Peters

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
Olivia g
Bookshelf Size: 0

St. Peters

Post by Olivia g »

A man and his wife met at the pearly gates after they’re both killed in an accident. However, to enter, each must confess any lies they told to each other in the past life. St. Peter hands the man a stack of books, filled with lies he told, small and big. To the woman, he gives one small piece of paper with just four words written on it.
The husband nervously laughed as he reached for the largest book and began to open it. His wife raised an eyebrow at him, as if saying “Really, Henry, that many?”. Nonetheless, her expression was light and they both shared a smile, as they were prepared to forgive the other for each lie they told. The husband cleared his throat and began to read from the first book.
"My name's Brock", he read aloud.
They both laughed, remembering their first encounter in college. This was not only the first lie her husband told her, but the very first words too. It wasn’t until the next day that he confessed that his name was Henry. After the laughter died down, the husband began again. By the time he got through the first book, “Yes, honey, I took out the trash” and “No, I didn’t forget to pick up the kids.” and “No, dear I don’t think the food is burnt at all” and many other small lies were said. Throughout the whole book, the wife mocked surprise and hurt, only to giggle afterwards, humored by her husband’s unreasonable, but silly lies.
The husband reached for the second book, and though it was smaller, it felt heavier in his hands. He began to read, “Of course, I remembered our anniversary” and “No, I’m not jealous” and “I don’t care who you spend your time with” and much other lies filled the air between them. The wife found it harder to laugh off these lies, but they were certainly forgivable.
The husband reached for the final book. It was much smaller than the other two, but when he picked it up it weighed not only very heavy in his hands, but in his heart too. The air was now uneasy, but the wife smiled and nodded at her husband, telling him that it would be okay. He swallowed the lump in his throat and began reading. “Go, Leave. I won’t care”.
“I don’t love you, anyway”.
“I want a break”.
Each word was hard for him to muster and he soon found himself sobbing as he read over a hundred heartbreaking lies. The wife tried to sooth him, telling him it was alright, that she forgave him. Their relationship was long and beautiful, but not easy at times, as most marriages are not.
Once he finished, they both cried and hugged each other. They were sad, but in that moment they knew more than anything that they loved each other. Once they parted, the wife took the paper in her hands, while the husband looked curiously at it, wondering what could possibly be written on there. She read the words in her head before saying them aloud and began to cry. Eventually she managed to choke out the last words she ever said to her husband while they were alive:
“Love, we’ll be okay.”
She said those words to her husband just before their car fell off a cliff they were hanging off of. They never expected it to rain that night, nor that they would skid halfway off the edge of cliff, only to fall off minutes later. After she said the words aloud, the husband and wife held each other just as they did in the car, and once again she whispered “Love, we’ll be okay” in his ear, and this time it wasn’t a lie.
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by _Delly_01 »

This had me hooked right away, and was easy to read through. This is a sweet short story, and I'm glad I came across it. I was tensed, thinking the piece of paper the woman held was a single, unforgivable lie that would destroy them. The bittersweet way it turned out was unexpected, and a relief. The only fault I found was the double-switch between tenses at the beginning:

"A man and his wife met at the pearly gates after they’re both killed in an accident. However, to enter, each must confess any lies they told to each other in the past life. St. Peter hands the man a stack of books, filled with lies he told, small and big. To the woman, he gives one small piece of paper with just four words written on it.
The husband nervously laughed as he reached for the largest book and began to open it."

Thank-you for sharing your short story. It is the best read I've had today so far. :)
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

Interesting story. I like the depth of the 3 books and the importance and significance they have on the relationship.

Tiny question. I get they are at the gates of St. Peter, but this could happen in any interpretation of afterlife. I think the title could be changed to something that fits more the theme of love and connection between two people who clearly, endured an exciting life together.
jolener23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jolener23.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by jolener23 »

Wow. Reading your story was an amazing experience! I can't thank you enough for posting it.
'Love, we'll be okay' is so powerful!
Thank you!

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”