Short Story Sample (Not Complete)

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
JordanKSmith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordanksmith.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Short Story Sample (Not Complete)

Post by JordanKSmith »

Hey Everybody,
I haven't written a story before, so I am hoping to get a little feedback on the style of this sample. Does all the description weigh it down? There is also something about the verb tense that is bothering me, but I'm not sure what it is. The last sentence should probably be removed or altered...Okay, I'm going to stop knocking this before I talk myself out of posting it.

How would you alter it?

Quick warning - This sets up a gory scene

Blood leaked from her ruptured gums and pooled with the saliva beneath her tongue. The memory of her 5-star meal was washed away by its copper flavor. Its accompanying smell, on any other day, might be ignored. Today, it was cloaked in the guise of the Grim Reaper and spoke of her death.

Her flesh was white, and it had all but expired. The ghoulish figure that remained walked to an unsteady beat. Her right ankle had swollen to twice its natural size, and a nebula of dark greens and purples had overtaken its bruised surface. None of that really mattered though. It was her punctured lung that had her worried. Her warm life-giving fluid was coalescing at the pit of the organ where a single bullet had burrowed its way into her body.

She held a small bundle of cloth in the nook of her left arm and pressed it into her chest. A child wailed within its woolen walls. Her other arm was raised, and her hand maintained a tentative grasp upon the silver handle of an M1611 pistol. The smoking barrel was pointed towards a man that had collapsed onto his haunches, gasping for air.

His face looked contorted like a Picasso painting, and his features bordered on the aboriginal. A pair of eyes peered from the shadows of their deeply set sockets with the predatory gaze of a hyena. Though soaked from the rain, his face looked dry, and his lips resembled the flesh of a withered up grapefruit. If listening closely, one might even hear the squeaky movements of his unlubricated eyeballs.
If it looks bad, you've zoomed in too far.

Unconditional love is impossible until you can look at yourself without judgment.
(9 of 175 Books by 12/1/19)
Flandere
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Flandere »

It gives a decent bit of description but maybe you should add some thoughts in to it. Like, what waste woman thinking as she realized her life was slipping and things like that.
JordanKSmith
Currently Reading:

Post by JordanKSmith »

You are totally right! Thank you! :)

I think I was unconsciously avoiding that. I've never been confident in my ability to write the thoughts of characters in a way that feels natural. At this point, it is a pretty significant weak point.

Unconditional love is impossible until you can look at yourself without judgment.
Louanne Piccolo
Currently Reading: A Judegement in Stone
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-louanne-piccolo.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Louanne Piccolo »

Hi Jordan,
Your last sentence - that you were thinking of scrapping - actually made me belly laugh. Ok, it's probably not the effect you were looking for and it's not really right for this type of writing but it is a great sentence! If you scrap it, then use it somewhere else, don't scrap it forever. I loved it.

Now, on to your questions:
The writing is lovely. But yes, it is too descriptive. It may be good for a writing exercise but not for a story or book because it just requires too much effort to read and is too confusing. That's just my opinion obviously, but I would tire of a book that needed too much concentration from me to simply follow the storyline.
I think that all of your descriptions are good but you may want to use just two or three in a short story, not in every sentence. Let the reader use his imagination, don't spoon-feed him/her.

Let's look at your first paragraph - you could say:
"Blood leaked from her gums and pooled under her tongue, washing away the taste of her 5-star meal with its copper flavour."
It reads easier and is clearer to understand.

As an exercise, why don't you try "writing down" to make it sound more conversational. And then add a line of dialogue at the end as a cliffhanger. Something like, "I won't let you take the baby."
Just a suggestion!
It's likely I will die next to a pile of things I was meaning to read - Lemony Snicket
JordanKSmith
Currently Reading:

Post by JordanKSmith »

Thank you, Louanne! That is very helpful. :)

I'm actually going through a book right now that perfectly demonstrates your point. On my notes for an upcoming review, I wrote that the book descriptions are creative, but I had to read them multiple times to digest them. The writing should be clear, and the descriptions shouldn't drag on to the point of halting the imagery like a Matrix fight scene.

I'll incorporate the exercise into my writing regimen. It's a good one!

Thank you for taking the time to write this detailed response. It means a lot, and it really is useful to me...I'll make sure to save the sentence. I'm glad that it made you laugh. That makes me happy. :)

Louanne Piccolo
Currently Reading: A Judegement in Stone
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-louanne-piccolo.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Louanne Piccolo »

Yes, save it! You never know when it could come in handy.
You should rewrite the piece and then come back and post it again.
It's likely I will die next to a pile of things I was meaning to read - Lemony Snicket
Serena_Charlotte
Favorite Author: Neal Shusterman
Currently Reading: The Heads of Cerberus
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-charlotte.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
fav_author_id: 2788

Post by Serena_Charlotte »

If given an assignment just to describe the scene then this piece would be wonderful. Except for a few lines where the language could have flowed better (and this can easily be remedied by simply reading the piece out to yourself), the description was good. In the context of a story, however, the reader wouldn't get very far, looking for where the story picks up. Within the first few lines, you want to try an establish some kind of setting or character that readers will get attached to. Romantic-type writing with mostly description and not a ton of story doesn't really pull in a lot of young readers these days. But, of course, that may not be who you are aiming for.
Where is the line between insanity and creativity?
Is the reality of the world different from how we perceive and experience it in our minds? Does physical reality exist apart from the human mind?
jolener23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jolener23.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by jolener23 »

My opinion is that this is wonderfully written. However, too much description can bore a reader. All in all this story has great potential!
amsula_2018
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amsula-2018.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by amsula_2018 »

The description seems to be wordy and I was hoping it would be a little longer or maybe I was wondering what happened to the victim afterwards. Its just too descriptive and not all readers have the patience in reading lengthy description in narration. Add some dialogue if you don't mind.😄
"If you can't reduce your argument to a few crisp words and phrases,
there's something wrong with your argument." ~ M. Saatchi

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”