MY STORY

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
Rhozel1
Bookshelf Size: 0

MY STORY

Post by Rhozel1 »

I sat looking out the window that morning. It was a beautiful day, I remember it so well. It was the first the sun had shone in two weeks. In my head, thoughts raced. I didn’t want to convince myself I had made a decision, though within the core of my heart, I knew I was going to do it.
Being the last child in a family of 5, it was natural for all attention to be on me, or so I thought. But I struggled each day to make myself visible to all. I did not exist. Mum and dad were overly preoccupied with the twins, Sasha and Suzy, they were perfect. They had everything I could ever dream of. They were beautiful, perfect grades in school, the best of friends, they were everybody’s favourites, and were extremely loved, I felt. I silently competed with them, I was a shadow of myself. With slow songs I kept myself company, the other kids made mockery of me. I was fat, my legs were terribly knuckled, and I wore braces, my grades were bad. Patiently, I waited for an opportunity to leave home.

My first year at Uni wasn’t great. Such freedom I had never known, I could go where I wanted, and do what I so pleased, but I wasn’t excited. I still got the stares and chuckles. It was really intimidating. Each day I wished something terrible would happen to me, I was a loner. It was in this state I met Keller, such a young vibrant guy he was. My insecurities did not exist with him. He was fun to be with, and I really liked him. For the first time, someone truly accepted me. Keller had an addiction, he called it brown sugar, it was his little secret. He said it was the reason he always was happy, that it made him forget every care in this life. I believed him, it sounded good to me, but I needed time to make up my mind, Keller was in no hurry.
That very morning, I had made a decision, so, I tried it. Brown sugar was shy of every description Keller had given. I floated on cloud nine, the rush, indescribable. My confidence shot up like a rocket. I smiled at all who passed by, I was extremely happy, I felt like a different being in my body. It felt great, so I continued.

Day and night, I continued. The feeling was ecstatic, nothing could compare. I felt invincible. I didn’t care anymore what anyone thought.
Then the news came, Keller was withdrawn from school for a reason I never got to know of. It was such a blow, it was so hard for me. He was the best friend I had never had. More than anything else, I missed him. I took solace in the only thing I could call a friend, I took solace in brown sugar. It understood me, and was always there for me. Gradually my life became a wretch, I couldn’t go on without it. I struggled with my academics, it was tough.

It’s been four years since I dropped out of school. Life has had no meaning for me. My insecurities and self-worth are at a terrible low. I’ve been in and out of Rehab. I am at the verge of giving up, I know not what again to do. I’m stuck, I’m tired of the heroin, I’m sick of this addiction, it has not helped take away the deep insecurities I feel. The lady at the centre, she said you are the only one who can help. So I’ve come to you, please help me.

So Jesus, this is my story. My name is Melvin, I am 19 years old.

With tears flowing freely, Melvin signed off the long letter he had written, hoping his answer comes quickly.
asere_maryanne
Currently Reading: Source
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asere-maryanne.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by asere_maryanne »

Wow, am impressed. I hope the answer comes through too.
Rhozel1

Post by Rhozel1 »

asere_maryanne wrote: 10 Oct 2018, 08:23 Wow, am impressed. I hope the answer comes through too.
Definitely! The answer will definitely come through. Thank you very much for reading.
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Artizi »

This is an interesting read and quite emotional. I hope you get the answers you are looking for.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
Rhozel1

Post by Rhozel1 »

Artizi wrote: 22 May 2019, 23:00 This is an interesting read and quite emotional. I hope you get the answers you are looking for.
Definitely, thank you for reading.🙏
Priyasookdeonikhil01
Currently Reading:

Post by Priyasookdeonikhil01 »

I felt connected to this somehow..
Amazing...
Hope you got the answer you were looking for..
Rhozel1

Post by Rhozel1 »

Priyasookdeonikhil01 wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 11:14 I felt connected to this somehow..
Amazing...
Hope you got the answer you were looking for..
Oh thanks, but it’s just fiction. Wasn’t writing about myself.😊
Biltu

Post by Biltu »

wow...awesome...
I hope you got the answer you were looking for.
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

I never had the feeling is fiction. It is an emotional read, and it seemed natural and true.
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Moodykelz_10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Moodykelz_10 »

Just from reading the posts below i think this story is based on fiction however it is very compelling and emotionally driven. I would never believe this wasn't a true story. Well written.
Rhozel1

Post by Rhozel1 »

Biltu wrote: 23 Aug 2019, 11:43 wow...awesome...
I hope you got the answer you were looking for.
Thanks for reading. It’s just fiction, but I believe his answer definitely would come.
Rhozel1

Post by Rhozel1 »

Moodykelz_10 wrote: 25 Aug 2019, 14:02 Just from reading the posts below i think this story is based on fiction however it is very compelling and emotionally driven. I would never believe this wasn't a true story. Well written.
Thank you very much. I’m encouraged to write more.
Tracysalome
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Tracysalome »

You are the key to your survival, no one else but you. As much as life can throw rocks on you, you just don't give up. You are not a coward. Look for other ways of survival than giving up. The more time you think of giving up the more time you waste on your success.
Pattie2002

Post by Pattie2002 »

Try not to use conjugated words such as "don't" and give more details. Other than that, this was good.
LyorBoone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyorboone.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Post by LyorBoone »

Reading the comments and it's fun to how many people expect you are righting from experience more than imagination. It's a sign that you're doing something right! And I would say that something is that you know your character well. That's an extra impressive feet if you met him in your mind.
“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme” - Mark Twain. Dare we say the same thing about every story that gets told in the world?

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”