Interview with the Time

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
Artifacs
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 5

Interview with the Time

Post by Artifacs »

Intently, She read the question on the holo screen beamed by her teststation, which it seemed like an old fashion spaceship cockpit.

She knew they were monitoring her physical reactions via electrodes she was wired to. This is also some kind of a emotional test too, she thought.

"Why do you want a job in KinHex Corporartion?"

Why?. She knew why. It was the perfect future. I wasn't only for the medical insurance, the high wages, the educational programs, the corporative big houses and the finest levels of social integration. Being a KinHex corporate was the only chance she had to be better in every way. To be perfect.

"I want to be perfect.", she said, without hesitation.

The screen flickered and became blank. She felt her heart throbbing in her temples. The teststation was processing her answer and thinking the next question. She knew the AI had to process not only hers buy also the other hundred thousands answers of all candidates in the vast room inside their teststations.

She also knew there was only one chance to get a job in KinHex Corp. If you were dismissed in any step of the selection program you didn't exist anymore.

No retry. No consolation prize.

She took a deep breath. The test would take over two hours of questions in order to register her intelectual and emotional skills, concentration and stuff like that. Then she would be delivered to the next step or erased forever from the main database. She had to be focused but couldn't help but to think about all her friends and relatives that didn't make it. You're only twelve, Eve, they said. You won't even have a chance 'till twenty one, they said.

The screen came back to life.

She read in astonishment, her heart hammering in her chest, What...!!!

-------------------------------

"Teststation 33.662.", the low even voice of the IA ecchoed in the conferece room.

Muffled cheers and whispers arose from the audience, all members of the Board Comitee and shareholders of the company.

"That's nonsense!", shouted Mr. 13 as he stood up from his chair to get the floor. "I strongly discourage..."

"Please, shut up, 13. Let the AI system finish the report.", said the moderator at the lectern. Mr.13 sit back on his chair shaking his head.

Behind him, appeared the holo projection of a midle age man wearing a jumpsuit. The human avatar the AI had chosen. It was Rutger Hauer, an excellent actor that lived six centuries ago. The man look over the conference room and resumed his speech.

"Ladys and Gentlement. It's her.", started the avatar and raise his voice over murmurs and rattles that bursted in the room. "You all know..."

"Silence.", shouted the Moderator.

Calm restablished, the avatar continued.

"You all know the past changes all of us at every second. We just can't see it because we also change accordingly: every single particle of us. Every single particle in the Universe is entangled together in the time field continuum. That's how thermodynamics worked...until now."

"Are you suggesting the candidate number 33.662 is going to solve the Nakamura's Dilemma?", shouted an anonymous voice in disbelief.

The avatar steped forward and looked at the left part of the hemicycle.

"I do not suggest Mr.101. I state that she is The Specter and will become the most powerful entity in this universe as..."

"How would you possible now that?", another voice shouted.

The avatar looked to his right to answer her question.

"Because I've seen her. I've known her. She programmed me."

A chaos of whispers, grunts, even laughs raised and filled the room. The Moderator made his best to keep order but he knew the session had to be postponed. Those dynosaurs in suits won't understand it at once. They needed time.

And Time was exactly what the KinHex Corporation will produce from now on.
L-cast
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by L-cast »

Definitely sounds good, but it's kinda hard to keep up with.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

Wow! I love this! The principle that if something can happen, it will, and also already has happened is one of my favorites when it comes to SciFi.
Artifacs
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Artifacs »

L-cast wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 12:36 Definitely sounds good, but it's kinda hard to keep up with.
Yeah, I agree it's hard to keep up with, as Niels Bohr said: "If you don't get a little dumb with quantum mechanics is because you didn't understand it at all."
Besides, I rewrote the story on my site (I don't know how to edit my own post yet) fixing typo errors and adding a three seconds time lapse between part one and two hoping that helps a little.
Sakilunamermaid wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 16:14 Wow! I love this! The principle that if something can happen, it will, and also already has happened is one of my favorites when it comes to SciFi.
Some thing that principle, uh?. I'm glad you like it as much I do.
amsula_2018
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amsula-2018.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by amsula_2018 »

I had difficulty understanding it until I read it the second time.
"If you can't reduce your argument to a few crisp words and phrases,
there's something wrong with your argument." ~ M. Saatchi
Serena_Charlotte
Favorite Author: Neal Shusterman
Currently Reading: The Heads of Cerberus
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-charlotte.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
fav_author_id: 2788

Post by Serena_Charlotte »

While the sci-fi element of it was quite good and mindblowing, a story I would love to see written out to a grander scale, it was hard to read through the typos and grammar tics that happened every so often. With that said, I did immensely enjoy reading it. Each sentence pulled you deeper and deeper into the mystery of what could possibly be happening. An immense draw for reading it as well was that the concept of "time" is a difficult concept to comprehend and I would love to see how the full version of this story treats it.
Where is the line between insanity and creativity?
Is the reality of the world different from how we perceive and experience it in our minds? Does physical reality exist apart from the human mind?

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”