Her Happiest day.

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
Farahyounus
Bookshelf Size: 0

Icon Her Happiest day.

Post by Farahyounus »

The room was dark and not a sliver of light penetrated the thick black air. But knowing each and every nook and cranny, every inch of where she was; she found her way across the room to the table that was placed at the far corner between two chairs facing opposite to each other. Standing close to it, she used her hands to feel the surface of the table and found the matchbox. Opening it, she took out a match and struck it and suddenly a dull yellow radiance filled the room. She started lighting up the candles that were standing so taut on the table and one by one all three of them succumbed to the flame and started giving themselves up bit by bit, moment by moment.

She got up crossed the room once again and this time came to stand in front of the mirror. She looked at her reflection that was staring back at her. Wearing a black dress that flowed around her, accentuated every curve of her body. Very slowly she picked up the mascara from the dresser and started putting it on her long lashes, making them so thick that maybe the sun rays couldn’t find their way into them, so thick that the being of her lover’s soul could lay there safe and sound forever. After carefully applying mascara, she put it back on the dresser and picked up that blood red lipstick he so loved. It was to put him on fire he said. The curves of her lips when colored with red; it was death then and there. And so she smiled at the thought of him and applied red. Finally done with that, she next tended to her hair that was all over the place. Fixed it in a quick bun at the back of her head with strands of hair strayed and wouldn’t find their way. She looked like a gorgeous mess in an elegance that could only be dreamt of.

When she was fixing the last pin the door behind her opened. He stepped into the room and shut the door behind him. Looking at the reflection through the mirror she suddenly let her gaze drop so that he wouldn’t catch her looking at him and she froze. He crossed the distance between him and her in swift long steps and came to stand just behind her, his hot deep breath on her neck and his fierce eyes on her face. He took hold of her hands and let them fall free on her sides.

He stared at her. “You look beautiful.”

Unable to utter a word and afraid that she will instead start incoherent mumbling, she just smiled a very soft smile. He then picked up a string of pearls from the dresser and slowly fastened it around her neck, both of them alert of the closeness in which they stood. He then put his hands on her shoulders and made her turn around.

She did so, as if floating in air, all the time looking at the floor, afraid that if she looked at him, she will lose all control. He took her hand, guided her to the table, pulled out a chair and let her sit. Then he took his place opposite her. The candles created such a magical aura that both of them were mesmerized in the land of unknown not knowing where to start from. He couldn’t keep his eyes off of her and his heavy breathing was the only sound she was aware of. She then poured him a glass of drink and pour a little for herself with tremulous hands trying to be careful not to spill any of it. He picked up his glass and for a few seconds gazed at her from over the rim and took a sip.

“How is the weather outside?” she asked.

“Cool. The wind’s chilly.” He replied.

“Yes. It’s cold.” She said.

“Not in here.”

His tone was husky. A blush slowly crept across her cheeks and she started fidgeting with the tablecloth. He got up and turned on the music player. Adele’s voice blared out of the speakers. And just like that he came and stood next to her and offered her his hand. She placed her little hand in his and stood up. He guided her to the middle of the room.

When the rain is blowing in your face,
And the whole world is on your case,
I could offer you a warm embrace
To make you feel my love.

He took her in his warm embrace and started moving to the music. Her right hand on his shoulder and the other around his waist, she felt the breath leaving her and her feet were suddenly not in her control. Moving to the sound of the music they felt a state of trance enveloping them. They were in a place that was too real to be a fantasy – too beautiful to be real. Her mind became blank and she thought of nothing. Nothing but him.

When the evening shadows and the stars appear,
And there is no one there to dry your tears,
I could hold you for a million years
To make you feel my love.

She felt his arms tighten around her. Somehow the mention of tears made him feel protective of her. He couldn’t stand the thought of her hurting. The silence was deep and reverberating between them but there was no need for words. Silence was speaking on their behalf. And what the silence whispered in the mid-Autumn air was more magical than a thousand words that could have ever be used to describe how they felt in this moment. This was a moment worth a lifetime. Millions of lifetimes.

I know you haven’t made your mind up yet,
But I would never do you wrong.
I’ve known it from the moment that we met,
No doubt in my mind where you belong.

“I’ve known it too. I’ve known it from the moment that we met. And I promise you. I will never do you wrong. ” He whispered.

Promises. Promises she so wanted to hear him make. Promises she had dreamt of the day she had seen him. There could be nothing more magical that this. This can’t be real. She closed her eyes and twirled. Back where she was in his embrace and the night couldn’t have been more perfect. Maybe it was the sip of her drink or the music or just the magic, she felt light-headed and her steps became more fluid.

I could make you happy, make your dreams come true.
Nothing that I wouldn’t do.
Go to the ends of the Earth for you,
To make you feel my love
To make you feel my love

His placed his left hand at the small of her back and from his right lifted her face to meet her gaze. Her eyes were closed as if she wasn’t here, she was far away somewhere he couldn’t reach. Gently in a slow moment she opened her eyes and looked at him. Her blue eyes sparkled like stars in the morning sky. He could see his whole world in them. And this was the place where he had decided to spend the rest of his life.

“Will you marry me?”

Time stopped. Her feet froze. Her life changed. A smile appeared across her face. The sky lit up and her soul danced to the rain of her elated mind. A tempest of emotion rose within the depths of her being and was divulged to the world by the tears of happiness that blinded her for a minute.

This was the happiest day of her life.
EmeraldEyes8918
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 58

Post by EmeraldEyes8918 »

This was such a gorgeaus short story. The atmosphere was described very well, as well as the physical and emotional communication between the characters. You have a good flow to your writing that is descriptive and comes off well with the romantic genre. A very lovely scene, and I'd be happy to see more of your writings in the future. :)
czar_milli
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by czar_milli »

Wow, I mean this is a review, but it says so much, lovely preview, already looking out for the book
Agbaeze Chika20
Favorite Book: Toni the Superhero
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Agbaeze Chika20 »

Wow this is more realistics and what the silence heard in the mid-autumn air even more magical as the time frooze after his promises to her. Her life changed as the sky lit up and her soul danced with the rain..so so margical love

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”