Solo Traveler

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
Eyenxore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Icon Solo Traveler

Post by Eyenxore »

It's always been on my bucket list to travel alone once in my life. And so I did. I did it last March 2018. It was more of a combined business and leisure travel. I'm from the Philippines and I was about to go to Buenos Aires, Argentina, South America. So here's how I planned my trip and how it went as a solo traveller.

The process itself going to a not visa free country was a bit tedious. I went twice to Manila (about 1hr and 45 minutes ride) to get my Argentine Visa as well as US visa and it was not easy. But then I got through it and finally my trip was ready.

I went there to present my research paper which got accepted in an international congress. It was really a great opportunity and it gave me a reason to travel solo. One month prior to my trip I already looked for tourist sites on the internet , what to do and not do, where to eat, what to wear, and of course read about their culture. Then the day of my solo travel came.
I was nervous at first in the immigration if I will be able to pass through and it's the same feeling I get everytime I pass through the immigration. From the Philippines, through Hongkong, then the US and finally Argentina. It was a 31 hour travel. It was my first time travelling for 5hours to 16 hours on the plane and I must say I dont wanna do it again. My butt hurts and my feet felt like crippling when I run through airports in between layovers to catch up to my next flight. My layovers were just 45min up to 3 hours. So I suggest you get layovers especially in the US where the airports are big for at least 4 hours.

Finally, I arrived in Argentina and I felt so excited as this is it! It's the start of my first ever solo travel where nobody knows me and I dont know anyone. I know Argentinian speaks spanish or portuguese but I never expected that rarely do they speak english and most of the people I met, 90% doesnt speak English. That's just the downside of going to a country where culture is very much preserved. Next time, I should learn spanish so I can communicate freely.

The first 4 days of my Argentina trip focused more on attending the congress, but day by day I already planned in between sessions my tour to the city. Luckily near the hotel was a tour booth. There I met Grace or Graciela in her spanish name and I also met a couple who told me where to go, what tour to start and get. So at first I went on a bus tour. Argentina has a bus tour that goes around the city and talks about the history of argentina. You get to go down to tourist spots as well. What I noticed is that almost all corners of buenos aires has a park. It was a very good experience.

The next day I went on a half day tour to the city of Tigre. I was really amazed by the city made on the river. There was an amusement park too.

But the most exciting part of my trip to Argentina was going to Iguazu falls, one of the seven wonders of nature. It was an hour flight from buenos aires. When I got to the Iguazu airport I was amazed that it was a tiny airport in the middle of a forest. The next day was the most exciting day of my trip and that is going to Iguazu falls both in the Argentinian and Brazilian site and I should say it was really breathtaking. It was one experience I will never forget and made me felt that I will never regret going to this trip. Both sides were amazing but experiencing the falls, getting wet was more fun on the Brazilian side of the falls. I could stay there all day and enjoy the scenery.

I only got a week travel and the day of my solo travel has come. It was a really nice experience and I was able to crash out some things on my bucket list. Will I still go solo travelling? Well, yes I would but it is more fun if you have someone to tag along.

-YEN
SereneCharles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenecharles.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by SereneCharles »

Interesting story. I'm glad you enjoyed solo-travelling. I've never solo-travelled. I prefer travelling with friends. It's more fun for me. But maybe I'll give solo-travelling a second thought. Thanks for the inspiration.
Writing is so much fun. So is reading. :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”