This Isn't Right, Or Is It?

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
SereneCharles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenecharles.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

This Isn't Right, Or Is It?

Post by SereneCharles »

They say silence means agreement. Well, that is not always true. Sometimes we keep quiet just for the sake of it. I grew up a reserved person. I would say less during discussions, and that was always taken as a sign of consent with the details of the topic being discussed. At other times, I'd simply agree with what was being said. I would agree to avoid arguments! Many times I'd agree just for the sake of agreeing; maybe to save those people some embarrassment? I really couldn't tell! Once mom told me I would always say yes to things I didn't do. I'd get punished for that, and later she'd find out I wasn't to blame.
As an adult now, I still agree with others even when it's obvious to me they are lying. Sometimes, I'd just want to tell them bluntly that I know what they are saying isn't true. But my 'kind side' won most times. I'd let them get away with the lie. People say it's unintelligent and a sign of weakness, but hey! The narrator is happy you agree with them, you are happy to agree, and everyone goes home happy. Maybe I worry more about people's self-esteem and happiness that I agree with them just to maintain that. Many times, it doesn't feel right, or is it?
Writing is so much fun. So is reading. :techie-studyingbrown:
mhiz ola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mhiz ola »

it's really doesn't feel right but it's better sometimes
SereneCharles
Currently Reading:

Post by SereneCharles »

I agree with you Mhiz Ola
kmkline120
Currently Reading: Tiny Beautiful Things
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmkline120.html
Latest Review: If life stinks get your head outta your buts by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by kmkline120 »

I can really relate to this, as I have said yes to many things that I don't actually agree with too. Sometimes it has just been to be nice, or to avoid confrontation, or to get people to like me. It can be a slippery slope and once you get into the habit, it can be really hard to figure out who you actually are/what you really like! It is kind of an identity crisis. So, I hope your character works through it!
liftedbooks
Currently Reading: The Ansgar Treasury
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liftedbooks.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by liftedbooks »

Sometimes I do this too, especially if I don't know the person that well. However, with my friends and family I am always honest and open. I don't think it's a sign of weakness, as it shows that you care about other people. Once you are sure that someone is strong enough to take your honesty, I think it's best to tell them the truth.
SereneCharles
Currently Reading:

Post by SereneCharles »

kmkline120 wrote: 31 May 2018, 15:12 I can really relate to this, as I have said yes to many things that I don't actually agree with too. Sometimes it has just been to be nice, or to avoid confrontation, or to get people to like me. It can be a slippery slope and once you get into the habit, it can be really hard to figure out who you actually are/what you really like! It is kind of an identity crisis. So, I hope your character works through it!
It's kind of funny doing this to please people or avoid confrontations. But at the same time, it's liberating.
SereneCharles
Currently Reading:

Post by SereneCharles »

liftedbooks wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 10:54 Sometimes I do this too, especially if I don't know the person that well. However, with my friends and family I am always honest and open. I don't think it's a sign of weakness, as it shows that you care about other people. Once you are sure that someone is strong enough to take your honesty, I think it's best to tell them the truth.
I agree with you. Better be honest with friends and family.

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”