Happy Prank day!

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
Nwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Happy Prank day!

Post by Nwa »

<t>Mary Alice and Mary Ann cautiously walked through the door to their apartment. Everything seemed to be as they left it. They released a breath they didn't realise they'd been holding. <br/>
It was Halloween and also their birthdays today. Alice, as she was called by her friends, was promised a prank by her friends last year. But they've been quiet about it and it left her worried. Maybe they wanted her to let her guard down. She did warn them not to do anything. Maybe they listened.<br/>
She watched Mary Ann go to the dining table to drop the bags she held. Her sister, a carbon copy of herself, who was a model and preferred to live her life not looking like her twin sister took the time to take them both shopping and even got extensions in her hair to look like her. So they could play a prank on her friends when they come to visit. <br/>
"Hmm, I'm exhausted", Mary Ann stated in am exaggerated way with her head cocked to the side. It didn't matter if she wasn't on set or on the runway, her attitude was always present.<br/>
"Why don't I go freshen up? And when I come down, we'll get started." She continued.<br/>
"Sure thing." Alice told her and then she left after she dramatically blew her a kiss. It was strange somewhat. Seeing her sister playing dress up so they could look alike. Mary Ann had a problem sharing 'the same life'. It was part of the reason why she didn't want to go to college and modeled instead. She wanted to have a choice and experience a life of her own. Even though Alice didn't understand that, she was glad that it didn't stop her from being there when she needed her. The thought brought a smile to her lips as she started to walk. She didn't get far when a knock sounded on the door.<br/>
She answered. It was Trish, one of the friends in her little gang. <br/>
"Happy Birthday," she exclaimed and entered, shoving a parcel wrapped with a light blue paper and topped with a darker shade into her arms. <br/>
Alice narrowed her eyes at her and then set the box on the floor gently in case it exploded in her face.<br/>
"Oh please. You know we can do better than that." Trish chuckled. "Besides, I think you made it clear enough." <br/>
"Right, and that would stop you." Alice was disbelieving.<br/>
"Whatever, miss insecure. Do you want to go out?" <br/>
Alice was about to decline when they heard a crash. It came from upstairs.
"What's that?" Trish asked.
"Mary Ann?" Alice called out. Maybe something fell. She looked at Trish, hoping it wasn't a prank. She was about to make her accusations loud when they heard a scream from upstairs. They ran. The sound came from her room. She hesitated before she opened the door. The whole place was upside down. They walked in.
"What happened here?"
"As if you didn't know," Alice answered her and went to her window to close it. Her foot stepped on something. It was a wrist watch.
"Know what, Alice?"
"Don't play pretend, I know this is all just a stupid prank. So, stop it."
"Stop what? We haven't even started anything." Alice scoffed.
"I'm serious. I was supposed to come get you... Wait. How am I not sure you didn't plan this so I can spill?"
"What? No, I didn't." She stared at her friend in disbelief. Trish didn't believe her either and was ranting. Something caught her eye. There was water on the floor. She called her friend's attention to it. It was coming from the bathroom.
They hastened to it, careful not to slip. They stood transfixed at the threshold. Mary Ann was in the bathtub. She was lying still in a pool of blood stained water, the water was overflowing. Alice walked closer to it, slowly. It was really Mary Ann. She was pale. Alice shivered and closed her eyes shut and tight and breathed. Slowly, she opened her eyes. It was still there.
"No." She exclaimed. If this was some kind of joke, it wasn't funny. She squeezed her palm in a bid to make her wake and tell her it was a joke. But the palm was cold beneath her touch.
She screamed. The rest was muffled. Trish had come beside her to hold her.
"How did this happen?" Alice didn't understand.
"Someone must have come in here."
The watch... Alice broke away from the embrace and staggered back into the room and went to the window. The watch wasn't familiar. Her vision blurred, she blinked the tears away. Someone had come in here. The crash, the scream... Her sister had been murdered. She screamed again, she screamed awake. Her friend, Trish was beside her in an instant. She hugged her.
"Are you okay?" Trish asked.
"Yeah, I just had the weirdest dream. My sister died on our birthday and I thought it was all a prank." She explained. Trish was quiet and just stared at her. She got worried, that wasn't the response she was expecting. She asked her what the matter was.
"It isn't just a dream, Alice. Your sister is really dead..."
SereneCharles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenecharles.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by SereneCharles »

Ok. This story is really confusing and freaking me out. Which exactly is the prank in the story: the first part of the story, or the last part?
Writing is so much fun. So is reading. :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”