Breaking Free

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
Nwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Breaking Free

Post by Nwa »

"How was the exam?" Blessing asked me.<br/>
It was my last paper that day. Blessing, a classmate of mine had also sat for the exam.<br/>
"Horrible", I answered her.<br/>
" You have no idea." She agreed with me. Further mathematics wasn't my strongest suit. It was definitely different from math.<br/>
We laughed over it and then went to a cafeteria that was just next door to eat and chat. Blessing was still going to come back the following week to round up her exams. The Secondary School Certificate Exam, SSCE would also be over then. <br/>
The place was filled up, I wasn't sure we were going get any seats but we did. We joined three other students on a long bench. Matthew was a close friend of mine and Aishat's. Aishat, that's my rival and more like a best friend. She's not around. We all go to Gold Stars High, one of the many secondary schools in Lagos, Nigeria.<br/>
Toyin and Ben were external students and friends of Blessing, they go to another school. They were all talking about something when we got there and Blessing asked to be included. They were talking about how unfortunate it was that a boy they had only seen the day before, full of life and laughter had died. Apparently, he had been sick but was been brave and strong about it, the smile had been a farce. The story was a familiar one. It was one I had lived with all my life. The fear of being found out. Would my friends treat me the same way if they really know how I felt?<br/>
"Hey, my favourite show is on." I announced when I caught sight of the TV, hoping it would divert the subject.<br/>
Blessing left the table to go get herself a meal. She doesn't understand the point of 'sashaying' down a runway. I've tried to point out that its not just about the beauty or walk.<br/>
"I simply don't get why you're in the science department when all you do is dream of being a model" Matthew complained.<br/>
"I have a passion for both."<br/>
"That's a very busy life."<br/>
I liked it that way, the busier the better. <br/>
"You're one to talk, you're an aspiring writer and photographer and someday you want to be a lawyer."<br/>
He laughed and suggested I become a model fast so we could work together. I'm not sure I should be dreaming anyway. The industry is tricky for a girl, some part of me wants a right path. And the financial situation back home is getting tighter. I was even worried about graduation. I was thinking of getting a job so I could be presentable on that day and maybe perhaps help out at home. I had college to think of too.<br/>
I ate a little later and thereafter we left. I went to the room facing where I stayed with my dad, my sick mother and my little sister. Mama Chioma lives there with her daughter. They allowed my four year old sister, to stay with them if no one was home.<br/>
"Nwa, how are you?" The elderly woman returned my greeting. She gave me my sister and then reminded me to take in the clothes stating that might be a storm. I thanked her and went in. Dad wasn't back yet. My phone beeped. It was a message from him.<br/>
He was going to the hospital from work to go see mother and he might not return that night. I was to be strong and watch over my sister, Joy.<br/>
Since I already ate and it was late already, I fed Joy a bowl of cereal and put her to sleep.<br/>
It rained cats and dogs that night. I've heard it somewhere before that there's always a sign before something overwhelming happens in our lives. Falling in love, landing a contract or in my case, the loss of a relative. Dad came back in the morning with the news. I hated the rain after that. I couldn't cry. Maybe it was because she'd been sick for so long and part of me was thankful it was over. Or maybe it's because people expected me to be strong for my sister who looked up to me as a mother. Or maybe I was just cold hearted.<br/>
The school I'd gone to for six years of my life found out and couldn't take the time to come check on us. I gave an excuse but Chioma said there was no excuse. I was an acting prefect in the school.<br/>
Ever since then time flew by in moments. Few of my friends came by to see me. I missed graduation. College seemed far away. Aishat got in early and so did some of my other friends, I felt left out. Left behind with questions about where my life was going.<br/>
Dad suggested I learned a trade while I waited yet again for an admission into the university. I thought of a job instead. Dad won't admit it but he's low on cash after all he spent healthcare and then the burial. <br/>
It was a cloudy day with a warm ray of sun. I entrusted Joy into Mama Chioma's care and then went in search of a job. The clouds had gotten thicker when I finally found an organization that was hiring. After the interview, I left feeling rejected. They liked me but I was 17. To top it off, rain fell and I was nowhere near a shade. I decided to walk in the rain. I hadn't gone far when I broke down in tears in the middle of the road.<br/>
I didn't even notice when an umbrella was placed above me. A man had stopped driving because I was in the way. He led me to a safer part of the road and asked if I was okay. In that moment I wanted to talk to someone. After he listened, he talked. He was also having a bad day. He had lost a model and he had a deadline to meet up with. I felt guilty because he had to deal with me being in his way and was also surprised he would even bother. He said he did because he knew that just like the rain, that moment of our lives would pass. I had to learn not to let situations get to me.<br/>
We met again and he found out that I was interested in modeling. He had me trained and we worked together.<br/>
Today, I am staying in a big apartment with my father and sister, juggling school and work. The rain was threatening to fall again as I waited by the road for a taxi to take me to school and all I did was look up at the sky, smile and say, "BRING IT ON."<br/>
<br/>
What's your story?</r>

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”