The day my father left the south

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
Beth470
Bookshelf Size: 0

The day my father left the south

Post by Beth470 »

I was born in a community in Greenfield, ms and we moved to another community where there were lines of shotgun houses as they called them. We lived in the last of about 10 of them. My parents and 4 other siblings.
I remember the day my father came home and scared. This was during the time when there was a lot of hate for blacks and they worked in fields for little pay. He told my mom that he was going to leave because he got into a fight with this white guy and he and some others was coming after him.
We lived close to a railroad track where trains came through daily. So, I watched him tie up something in a table cloth probably some clothing and a little food. I was very young at the time, but I remember watching him putting his sack on his shoulder and began to walk down the railroad tracks.
I will never forget that day because I stood out there and watched him until he was clean out of sight. Back in those days a person that jumped a train was called a Hobo. I guess that's what my father did jumped a train to get away.
jennawash
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by jennawash »

Great addition the other short story! This piece answered many of my questions!
Beth470

Post by Beth470 »

Thank you.
Muwanika

Post by Muwanika »

recommendable piece of memory till then
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

jennawash wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 18:56 Great addition the other short story! This piece answered many of my questions!
I agree!
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”