My brother's blood

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
egbeikechukwu34
Bookshelf Size: 0

My brother's blood

Post by egbeikechukwu34 »

MY BROTHER'S BLOOD

Everybody in the family was happy for his return. I'm happy to see my elder brother home again, after five years that he went abroad to study. I have really missed him so much. In his absence I learned that one starts to miss someone that one always fights with when the person relocates to another place. Now, I know what it means to have an elder brother. I tried all I could to respect him and do everything he asked of me.

Among my siblings, I was the one close to him. I enjoyed his stories and He seemed to have been into music overseas. He has all it takes to be a good artist. He's tall, fair in complexion as our mother and had pointed noise like father. He's intelligent and handsome. His light skin attracts many girls which I later became his personal Adviser on women affairs. I always use the influence of our little sister to bring girls for him.

One day, I got tired of it. I knew I was doing the wrong thing but I only wanted to please my elder brother and make him feel at home. I have a female friend, she's like a sister to me. She knows everything about me as well as I know hers. She normally visits me when am at home. Now, she came to check on me and I was not around. And she meet my brother for the first time and fell in love with him.

I became angry with both of them. I didn't have anything to do with her again. I wanted a way to pay back for betrayal. I later found out that my brother has been collecting money from our father in the name of studying overseas but has been in Ghana. When I got this information I was ready to use it against him.

"He's a prodigal son," I said, "Father must here it." My other siblings and I have forfeited our education for his. Our family house was stopped half way for him to be trained in school in order to help us further in our education when he must have been successful. He neglected his family background and enjoyed life with women.

Friday evening, I sat staring at my brother and his womanise problem which has proved insoluble. But I was determined to solve the problem. Earlier in the morning, I had woke up and complained to our parents about his misbehaviour. I told my father to stop spending or giving money to him as it's a waste. All he knew how to do was partying with girls with the money that should have used to train us in school

I knew I had added salt to his wounds. And He became angry and upset with me. His heart was heavy to rain on me. He tried and convinced our parents and everybody turned against me. I became the enemy of my own family.

One fateful day, they all team up against me. From quarrell it graduated to a serious fight. I got the beaten of my life. My elder brother wanted to kill me. He used chains on. I nearly escaped from death. I was cast away by my own family. I later found myself in a dilapidated building which I slept for a week without any food or water. I was abandoned by my family

In addition to my predicament, I decided to go back home and face death. "let me go home," I said, "And die in the hands of my own family." Immediately that I opened the gate, I saw my brother staring at me like a hungry dog that the owner wasn't around. He then rushed and started hitting a guy who slept outside for a week without tasting either water or food. I couldn't take it anymore. I have to fight back. And I stood to fight him. He went and brought a cutlass

Beside me there was a bottle, I picked it up, and I broke the bottle and it became sharpened. I awaited him to come closer. "Jesus!! Dodo," my mother shouted, "What have you done?" I saw my brother in a pool of blood. There was blood on my hands. I didn't know what was happening until he gave up his last breath. "What have I done?" I asked myself, "How did it happen?" I didn't believe I murdered my own blood brother. My mother cried uncontrollably and held him

I should have done something to save my own brother but it's too late. He's dead and nothing could be done. I felt so sorry for my poor brother. I cried bitterly and I ran away when my parents called the police

For months now I have been hiding from my family and the policemen. I don't know what to do. Should I hand over myself to the police and face my crime or should I forget about my family go somewhere else and start a new life so? Or should I even kill myself and join my brother?

What should I do. Please friends I really need your advice. Please help me

I am Ikechukwu Wisdom Egbe. This makes me cry. It's somehow a real life story but a bit fictional
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

The main character in your story is an unfortunate victim of fate. At the end of the story his future seems hopeless, but it is not. Hope is the one thing that survives when all else is lost. Life is like a road. We cannot see beyond the trees in the distance. It is there that we may find happiness and contentment. For the main character to kill himself would be to never see beyond the trees - to never know if great happiness awaits him.

If I were the main character I would start over by meeting new people and making new friends in a new town. I would work slowly and patiently to build another life for myself. I would avoid dishonesty in all its forms for on that path lies eventual destruction.

I can relate the story you have shared with us to my own life. There have been moments in my life when I have been visited with great unhappiness, and later, as the tides of Providence ebb and flow, I have also found great happiness and success. Now, the interesting thing is this, had the bad things not happened first the good things would not have followed.

Your story is not complete. The main character has much more to live for and experience in this miraculous journey of life. There is much more to be written before this story is finished.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Nice story. Happens a lot in some families. Sibling rivalry is real. A few typos and errors that a freshy round of editing can solve. I would like the story to end on a nicer note though? I like happy endings, though life doesn't always give us that. Supposing the dead brother was involved in crime when he was away and the blood on him was actually from a gunshot at the gate, and not the bottle in his brother's hands... That might create a nice twist to the story.
Well done!

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”